Prep work? What stinking prep work?

twofalls

DM Beadle
I've been wondering... how many other folks find that they are doing less and less prep work for game sessions these days? I've been running D&D games for three decades now, and I've noticed a trend in myself to do less work preparing for a night of gaming as those years grow longer. Now, I find that I read a book, look over an adventure, scan a map and that is my prep work for the evening of gaming.

Another trend I've discovered in myself is a tendency to completely ignore the rules but leave my players feeling like I am following them very closely. I know the rules (we still play 3.0) very well, and most of the time (nearly all the time) I can't be bothered with them. The monsters I use are either old favorites I know well, or more often concoctions off the top of my head to fit the moment. I write down the damage my players do in combat like I am keeping careful track to see how close they are getting to the monster's death threshold, but in reality I am just narrating the story and will kill it off when it is the most exciting to do so. I use the rules when the players need to interact with them, like grappling... how many magic missiles a caster can toss, etc. So I petty much don't ever prep monsters either.

I run a group of 9 players, some who have been gaming with me for 30 years, some who have been with me for about 3 years (the avg is about 8 years of playing with me) and know they are having fun. I asked one of my players after last session if it was obvious that I "often" (read: always) toss out the rulebook when its convenient and he was genuinely surprised to find out that I do that. I invent spells on the fly, I make rules calls (educated calls of course) as needed, and pretty much just invent the game as I go mostly with themes and ideas I dreamed up either in reaction to the players or sometimes ideas I thought about the week before the game.

So... is this more or less common out in gamedom? I essentially don't ever "play" in the players seat as my experience with other GM's has been... disappointing. It's one of the reasons I love going to local Con's because I find excellent GM's there and get to play with a lot of folks who are much more talented at rpg games than I am. But I wonder, here on Enworld, how well does the way I run D&D games mesh with the way you all do it?

Crothian

First Post
I do game prep but I prep story lines and plots and names and places. I don't prep stat for the most part. I do more prep at the beginning of a campaign as I set the ground work and get the players to do things. The more proactive the players are the less work I have to do.

Ry

Explorer
During my ongoing campaigns, I'm the same way. Right now, as a new one is about to start up, I find I'm doing more work than ever. Then again, I've only been GMing for about 10 years.

KB9JMQ

First Post
I still do a lot of prep work to start a campaign but once I have started I find I am doing less before each gaming session.

Dragon Snack

First Post
I've had players complain when I used an actual rule that they didn't know, I doubt I could get away with "making it up".

That's not to say I don't wing it and use some slick CYA later, but I have to be on top of my game so I don't get too crazy.

I mainly stopped doing a lot of prep work because I would spend too much time planning only to have the group ignore the plot hook. I do however have ideas about what I want them to face and then work on it when I know they are taking the bait (which means it's usually on the fly).

twofalls said:
I essentially don't ever "play" in the players seat as my experience with other GM's has been... disappointing.
*Sigh* The main reason I've been stuck in the big boy seat lately. It's not just me either, I'm the only DM the players have "voted" as fair. Sadly, one shots at Cons don't excite me, so I can't get my fix that way...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Once I know the critters pretty well, I tend to wing it. But when borderline cases come up, I often have to go back and look stuff up.

For example, a PC recently needed to hit the touch AC of a relatively minor guard. I knew it would be around 14 and that he was unlikely to miss -- but he managed to roll a 13. Suddenly, the actual touch AC mattered. Looking up a 5th level NPC Ranger in the DMG, his touch AC would be 13, so the touch attack hit, and the game went on.

But yeah. Having DM'd for a while, I'm pretty sure of the basic stats of most early to mid level antagonists and NPCs. I still do a lot of work statting out the the big bads, but that's partly for my own amusement -- it's fun to build a character. :)

Cheers, -- N

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Prep

Read the adventure and take notes (usually a few sessions early). 1-2 hours.
Scan & print DM maps to write notes on for speedy play. 5-10 minutes.
Scan & print primary stat blocks to write notes on. 5-10 minutes.
Scan and enlarge to 1-inch grid a few battle mats of key encounters. 15-30 minutes.
Reread adventure the night before to get up to speed. 1 hour.

Occassionally I need to make custom stat blocks. It averages about 10-15 minutes per, no more then 4 for an adventure. There's a reason I made those NPC indexes on these boards. If I need a 3rd level troll barbarian, chances are WotC already made one for me, I just go and scan 'em! :)

We play pretty much by the 3.5 rules, and have simply taken steps to expedite play like player cheat sheets, condition cards, and the like. Prep time is fun.

-DM Jeff

Numion

First Post
Actually one of the reasons I started with 3E was to have decent support for my game of choice. I had just had two RPGs die on me (Traveller TNE & Hogshead WFRP), so it was a big thing to get to run some pre-made adventures. In early 3.0E I created adventures myself, but nowadays I enjoy running a long campaign without a worry, like the shackled city.

So no, I don't do much prep work.

Khairn

First Post
Given my 3 decades of gaming, I find myself in the same boat as Twofalls.

Prep time has been greatly reduced, but its been replaced with experience. Experience that allows me to PFA most plot hooks and small encounters ... and really focus any prep time on storylines and major encounters. (PFA = Pluck From Air)

One downside that I have noticed is that IMHO, my GM'ing style has become "entrenched", and I no longer push myself the way I used to do. Seemingly without exception, my players have been very happy with the games I run and keep coming back for more. But for me, I've been less than satisfied on a number of occasions. Which is the main reason reason why I'm begining to work on an entirely new campaign in a new system that I have never used before and a play-style that is decidedly not standard D&D fantasy.

I don't mind personaly getting old ... but I'll be damned if I'll let my GMing become "old".

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
twofalls said:
Another trend I've discovered in myself is a tendency to completely ignore the rules but leave my players feeling like I am following them very closely.

Cheater :p

I could get away with that for things like creature hit points, but for inventing spells on the fly, I know the players would be all over me about it, searching for the caster's spellbook and wondering why the spell wasn't in there.

Its great that your players trust you like that. They must enjoy your game. How often do PCs die? If you are doing it on the fly, do you feel you are adjusting things to keep the PCs alive? Would they challenge you if a PC died?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases