LEW Feats: Elementalist

Bront

The man with the probe
I'm not sure I like the energy specialization. There is already a feat to change the energy type of spells to one the caster prefers. I think this only half does it, and allows for some nonsensical combinations (Cold/Fire, Cold/Acid).

The familiar feat is ok... I'm just not quite sold on it for some reason. I need to do more elemental research first I think.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The elemental familiar feat is completely unnecessary. The SRD already has the Improved Familiar feat, which includes the elementals (exactly as proposed) and then some. I guess the only difference is that NakuruSai's feat allows your current familiar to change. Personally, I think upgrading your current familiar into an elemental is well within the spirit of Improved Familiar, if not exactly the letter. If we really think we need it, I'd vote yes to an addendum, saying that if a character spends the money and the time, he can upgrade his current familiar into a small elemental.

As for the Energy feat... what exactly are you referring to, Bront, that already does this?

UPDATE: I did find this, in the Evoker Variant:

SRD said:
Energy Substitution (Ex)

An evoker of 5th level or higher using this variant can substitute energy of one type for another. When casting a spell that has an energy descriptor (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic), the evoker can change the energy descriptor and the spell's effects to energy of a different type.

Using this ability is a free action that must be declared before the spell is cast. The evoker can use this ability once per day for each five class levels he has attained (1/day at 5th, 2/day at 10th, and so on).
I think I'd like this as a standalone feat, so long as A) it didn't allow changing to or from sonic damage, and B) it could be used any number of times per day.

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
I vote no on both. I'd have voted yes on the familiar till Rae found it in the SRD. Between the extra substitution feat we have in LEW, the one in the SRD, and the Domain wizard variant already voted in I think we have enough ways to specialize in an element.

Erekose13

Explorer
Energy Manipulation [Metamagic]
Benefit: You can alter a spell so that it utilizes a different energy type from the one it normally uses. This ability can only alter a spell with the acid, cold, fire, electricity, or sonic descriptor. The spell level of an energy manipulated spell depends on the energy type being utilized.
Code:

Cold, Fire, Electricity, Acid Base spell level + 1 Sonic Base spell level + 2

If the original spell was not subject to spell resistance then the modified spell is also not subject to spell resistance.
Examples: Burning Hands (1st level [Fire]) changed to [Cold] is a 2nd level spell. Burning Hands changed to [Acid] is a second level spell, but is still subject to spell resistance. Burning Hands changed to Sonic is a 3rd level spell.
Acid Arrow (2nd level [Acid]) changed to [Fire] is a 3rd level spell. Acid Arrow changed to sonic is a 4rd level spell. All variations of Acid Arrow are not subject to spell resistance.
-Created by SlagMortar

NakuruSai

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
The elemental familiar feat is completely unnecessary. The SRD already has the Improved Familiar feat, which includes the elementals (exactly as proposed) and then some. I guess the only difference is that NakuruSai's feat allows your current familiar to change. Personally, I think upgrading your current familiar into an elemental is well within the spirit of Improved Familiar, if not exactly the letter.

srd said:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedFamiliar

Improved Familiar [General]
This feat allows spellcasters to acquire a new familiar from a nonstandard list, but only when they could normally acquire a new familiar...
(emphasis mine)
You can't acquire a new familiar while you already have one. It's definitely against the wording of the current SRD Improved Familiar. That's why I brought it up. I do agree that it's within the spirit of the rule, but there's no addendum currently to that feat that says "at the level you take Improved Familiar you may UPGRADE your current familiar as though you are calling another if given a in-character reason for how this happens and the GM approves". This addendum would allow elementals, upgraded "fiendish" or "celestial" versions of your current familiar, and the option of forcing your current familiar into a homonculus shape (based on just what I'm seeing as examples in the Imp. Fam. feat).

Would this need to be proposed or just brought up at the time of leveling and taking the feat with the gm/judge?

Bront

The man with the probe
NakuruSai said:
(emphasis mine)
You can't acquire a new familiar while you already have one. It's definitely against the wording of the current SRD Improved Familiar. That's why I brought it up. I do agree that it's within the spirit of the rule, but there's no addendum currently to that feat that says "at the level you take Improved Familiar you may UPGRADE your current familiar as though you are calling another if given a in-character reason for how this happens and the GM approves". This addendum would allow elementals, upgraded "fiendish" or "celestial" versions of your current familiar, and the option of forcing your current familiar into a homonculus shape (based on just what I'm seeing as examples in the Imp. Fam. feat).

Would this need to be proposed or just brought up at the time of leveling and taking the feat with the gm/judge?
I would suggest simply suggesting a rule that would allow a wizard or sorcerer to release his current familiar and summong a new one, having to pay the summoning cost and perform the rituals again, at which time the new familiar would replace the old one. That way they can't just spontaniously dismiss it.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Bront said:
I would suggest simply suggesting a rule that would allow a wizard or sorcerer to release his current familiar and summong a new one, having to pay the summoning cost and perform the rituals again, at which time the new familiar would replace the old one. That way they can't just spontaniously dismiss it.
Well, that's not what he wants. He doesn't want to release his current familiar, probably because the character has a bond with it, not just a magical bond but an emotional bond as well. Which is why I would say, take the Improved Familiar feat, spend the 100gp, and submit the character to the judges for a level up and I'll definitely approve it. I far prefer that method over killing/releasing your current familiar and grabbing a new one.

Basically, I don't think a new rule needs to be proposed, nor do I think the SRD feat needs to be changed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases