The man with the probe
orussus_region_map.jpg

Important Links
Trading-Post
The Red Dragon Inn VII
The Red Dragon Inn VIII
The Red Dragon Inn IX

The Red Dragon Inn
The Red Dragon Inn is home to a motley sort of people. Located near an incredibly life-like statue of a Great Red Wyrm, rumored to in fact be a petrified dragon. Surrounded by a complex of two taverns and a huge inn with hundreds of rooms of flexible cost, the Red Dragon only irks a small amount of it's costs from the ale and bedding. In fact, most of the profits accumulated at the Red Dragon come from individuals that may never have set foot inside at all.

The Red Dragon is the functioning base of operation of a huge number of adventuresome individuals. Oftentimes a wealthy employer will post an advertisement at the establishment, costing anywhere from nothing for those who need help the most, to hundreds of thousands of gold pieces from kindoms farther away than most people knew the world stretched.

Who sets these prices? The bartender, an infamous brewer by the name of Joe Smith. His reputation is in his bar, and the bar is in his heart. He makes the decision to let the poor and neady post warrants, jobs, and anything else for pennies, while charging absolutely abusive amounts of money for the wealthy to have a similar contract. People pay what he thinks they should pay, and all but those that shouldn't be posting here anyway make the concessions to do so.

This has allowed the bar to grow to it's incredible size. Many a new table was paid for by a simple advertisement. And, in exchange, the Red Dragon is open and often free to it's clients. Drinks of all sorts, wines, ale, milk, and foreign fruits all make their way to the Red Dragon, where anything is possible. The only people not permitted in the Red Dragon are those that offend the barkeep.

Many people tell the stories about the historical figures that have graced the Red Dragon. Many of these stories are told in the stories of bards and the wives tales of the oldest bar maids. The interior is ever changing, some tables being made of common woods, and others being purchased at extreme costs to accomodate the best of heroes and nobles. If someone doesn't like linen bedsheets, oftentimes silk will be imported within the hour to cover those that need it. Of course, this tends to be the path to offending old Joe, but he won't kick you out till your willing to leave on your own.

The dragon's eyes glow at night, acting as a beacon. The street lights on the paths outside allow for an excellent night-time environment. By the time everyone wakes up, they can find a bed of toasted breads, morning pastries, cheeses, eggs, and if they need something special, it only takes a few minutes to make. The Red Dragon is obviously a fine place to spend a night. Of course, the clientel that come her most often are also the same kind of folk that always find themselves on the road, and having a home away from home is a huge reason why they all return here eventually.

The first thing any visitor should do, upon entering the the Red Dragon, is shuffle up to Joe. The barmaids try to ensure that this happens promptly, because Joe can't stand anyone that doesn't say hi at the very least. The second thing Joe does to any visitor, is to get them to shout out their name and any important facts about themselves that others might need to know. Then, third, the entire bar greets the newcomer and gets back to their drinking. It's all just customery, but Joe sure does appreciate it.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
(OOC: how does one look for specific items...my pc is skilled in scrimshaw art and would need to find whale teeth to carve on.)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=OOC: ]I don't think there's any whaling in Enworld yet. If you're looking for something, you can go to the wiki and search for "enworld whale" or "enworld whaling". Those bring up nothing, so I searched for "enworld fish". That gives three results: Monemvassia has fisheries, though they seem to fish in the deep natural harbor, hardly a place for whales. The adventure Wreck Ashore had a beach with many fishing boats. And fish are sold by merchants in Orussus. =P

Of course, you could always detail a new area or add whaling as a source of income to an already existing area.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
OOC: well...he is from the north and there is probably trade between there and here...h might be able to find something down at the docks...?

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: If you need to, make something up. I'm sure some place like Travilis or Gotain probably has some kind of Whaling industry.

B4cchus

Explorer
A stocky man walks into the inn without as much as lookin at any of the current occupants.
His clothes seem like a mundane traveling outfit but a trained eye could see they are very well made and expensive.
He walks straight to Joe and murmles with him for a while.
After a short while Joe points to the messageboard. The stocky man drops some coin on the bar and walks straight to the messageboard.
He hangs up a piece of parchment and leaves the inn as if he is in a hurry, again without making eye contact with any of the occupants.

The parchment reads the following text:
Lord Graven calls out to all brave adventurers.
His Lordship seeks brave souls who would depart on a glorious mission to find long lost hidden treasure.
The rewards are great and the perils are not to be taken lightly.
More information and enrollment will be presented at this very inn at noon one week from today.
All who whish to embark on this heroic journey should be ready to depart right after enrollment.

Knowledge local checks on Lord Graven:
[sblock=DC 10]
Lord Graven is a local noble who inherited his title.
[/sblock]

[sblock=DC 15]
Lord graven is an eccentric man who shuns public appearance.
He is not active in local politics and probably sustains himself from lease of his lands to farmers.
[/sblock]

[sblock=DC 20]
Among certain circles he is a renown collector of old treasures and ancient artefacts*.
He is not known as a very kind man and has a short temper.
ooc: * Not artifacts as the SRD knows them :)
[/sblock]

ooc: this is an adventure hook intent for a party of level 3 characters. I will wait for reactions untill monday or tuesday next week.

ooc: candidate list:
first choice:
Eanos, human monk 4
Mordik dwarf rogue 3
Quarion Holimion, Elven Druid 3

second choice:
Odno human psion 1
Aletheia human cleric 1

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
"Lord Graven? I seem to recall that name." says Obno. "Oh, of course, he's an eccentric man, said not to be friend of public appearances and enemy of company. His riches, as I recollect, come from renting his lands. Word is that he's not a kind person"

"And likes to collect treasures. Did you see that guy?"

"And finds the adquisition of ancient treasures a delightful enterprise, that too"

ooc: Rolls here

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

Someone said:
"And finds the adquisition of ancient treasures a delightful enterprise, that too"

"It's hard to fault a man for liking treasure, I suppose," Eanos says, listening to Obno even as he reads the parchment.

He turns to Joe, then, asking, "Would you give me a shout when Graven or his representative return?"

[sblock=OOC]Is 4th level okay?[/sblock]

NakuruSai

First Post
B4cchus said:
A stocky man walks into the inn without as much as lookin at any of the current occupants.
His clothes seem like a mundane traveling outfit but a trained eye could see they are very well made and expensive.
He walks straight to Joe and murmles with him for a while.
After a short while Joe points to the messageboard. The stocky man drops some coin on the bar and walks straight to the messageboard.
He hangs up a piece of parchment and leaves the inn as if he is in a hurry, again without making eye contact with any of the occupants.

The parchment reads the following text:
Lord Graven calls out to all brave adventurers.
His Lordship seeks brave souls who would depart on a glorious mission to find long lost hidden treasure.
The rewards are great and the perils are not to be taken lightly.
More information and enrollment will be presented at this very inn at noon one week from today.
All who whish to embark on this heroic journey should be ready to depart right after enrollment.

Knowledge local checks on Lord Graven:
[sblock=DC 10]
Lord Graven is a local noble who inherited his title.
[/sblock]

[sblock=DC 15]
Lord graven is an eccentric man who shuns public appearance.
He is not active in local politics and probably sustains himself from lease of his lands to farmers.
[/sblock]

[sblock=DC 20]
Among certain circles he is a renown collector of old treasures and ancient artefacts*.
He is not known as a very kind man and has a short temper.
ooc: * Not artifacts as the SRD knows them :)
[/sblock]

ooc: this is an adventure hook intent for a party of level 3 characters. I will wait for reactions untill monday or tuesday next week.

[sblock=ooc]Thankfully Mordik is Level 3...[/sblock]

Mordik's ears perk up at the prospect of a job...He walks towards the paper.

Troubleshooter for hire 'ere! great rewards, great peril, all that comes wi' tha job. What's needed o' me here...?

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Quarion Holimion, Elven Druid 3

Quarion gets up with the others to look at the new posting. "Hmm... A 'long lost hidden treasure'? Intriguing, to say the least. Though I appreciate Joe's generosity, and the company, I can feel my wanderlust growing. And Garma does hate to be in one place for too long. I feel a little danger in our lives will renew our appreciation for the deadly cycle in which Verdante has trapped us all." The corners of the elf's mouth turn up slightly, in a grim smile. It's the first time the elf has shown any emotion other than formal politeness or proud disdain.

"I must go find my wolf before I depart again. I will return in a few days." He bows to the ladies present and touches his forehead in salute to Joe. Then he leaves the tavern.

Knowledge (local) check

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases