Doctor Who 2007, Episode 1: "Smith and Jones" (Spoilers likely)

delericho

Legend
The Doctor meets a new companion, medical student Martha Jones. Also, there are
Rhino-men. On the moon.

Awesome episode. I really liked Martha. The only problem is, next week is just too far away.

Felon

First Post
Damn, this episode aired yesterday, and Bit Torrents is still running dry....

I tell ya, the BBC doesn't realize the money they're missing out on by not selling the episodes online!

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Interesting. The Judoon were kind of a cool new race; given their "police for hire" nature, I could see them showing up again in all sorts of interesting places.

I'm curious if the plasmavore is supposed to be the same things as the old Doctor Who nemeses the space vampires. I don't recall them being shapeshifters, though. If so, that could be the Doctor Who standby that was rumored to show up this season.

I like Martha, though I do miss Rose. For a minute I thought they were going to get rid of the sonic screwdriver this season, but that didn't stick.

Points of curiosity:

1) Have I not been paying attention, or is the seat behind the TARDIS console new to this season?
2) The Doctor mentions having a brother; or, rather, he mentions not having a brother anymore. This is new, isn't it?

JRR_Talking

First Post
Have been giggling for 4 hours at the thought of Planet Zothirax (or wahatver the motor cycle ad / cold sore anti-viral cream is called)

I really liked the Jadoon after the initial horror of thinking them akin to the silly Vogons in hte recent hitchhikers movie

Martha looks a cool cookie too.

All looks well 4 season 3 thus far...

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Blast ye BBC people! Blast ya, says I.

Here in the States, we're gonna have to wait for more than a year to get these episodes. And I really like the new Dr. Who. I do, I do, I like Who.

As for a brother... Some of the novels have suggested the Doctor had a family, but i don't recall a mention of a brother specifically. Presumably the brother died at the End of the Time War, alone with all of the rest of Gallifrey.

And Jones does look like a hottie. But can she act?

Last edited:

The Grumpy Celt said:
As for a brother... Some of the novels have suggested the Doctor had a family, but i don't recall a mention of a brother specifically. Presumably the brother died at the End of the Time War, alone with all of the rest of Gallifrey.

On the understanding that I haven't seen this ep--and apparently won't get to for a good long while :(--and that I therefore don't know the context in which the brother was mentioned...

Didn't some of the older material imply, albeit it only obliquely, that the Doctor and the Master might actually be related?

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Mouseferatu said:
...that the Doctor and the Master might actually be related?

I don't know about that, but they did go to School together. The Master was a Syltherin and the Doctor and Griffendor, so to speak.

Tuzenbach

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
On the understanding that I haven't seen this ep--and apparently won't get to for a good long while :(--and that I therefore don't know the context in which the brother was mentioned...

Didn't some of the older material imply, albeit it only obliquely, that the Doctor and the Master might actually be related?
Assuming the 1996 TV Movie (Paul McGann as the Doctor) would have evolved into a series, the plotline would've had the Doctor & the Master as brothers.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Mouseferatu said:

Martha is examining the Doctor, who she ran into in the street earlier, he says it wasn't him, she asks if he has a brother, and he says "Not anymore." The context in which it comes up, and the manner in which he replies, seems to be somewhat sincere, otherwise I'd write it off as the Doctor being his usual goofy self.

(There is actually an interesting payoff to the scene later, though.)

I'm wondering if they won't make some kind of Master/Doctor sibling connection myself, though it would be strange. It's interesting that Tuzenbach notes that was the plan for the US version of the show, though.

(Or maybe they'll introduce a completely new character named the Bachelor as his long lost brother? :p)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases