• Fighting Tigers of Tang - Animal*
  • Delmains - Outsider*
  • Shen Shu - Outsider
From Up the Garden Path (ST1):
  • IffanbutT - Elemental

Last edited:

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
Juggernaut, Stone is in Monster Manual II.

How are Kraken (Hyperborean) and Giant Owl (Melnibonian) different from the creatures in Monster Manual?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Thanks -- I've snipped the Stone Juggernaut from the list.

The Hyborean Kraken "is a giant octopus which is able to live on the land. This creature must be called from another dimension
where it is imprisoned, and is constantly trying to leave. It feeds on human souls/energy levels and if the victim doesn't make his or her magic saving throw all his levels are drained."

The Melnibonian Giant Owl doesn't seem much different to any other Giant Owl, so I'll cull that from the list.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Traianus said:
Protean, Local (Giant): This is virtually Identical to the Giant Amoeba
http://pandius.com/gamoeba.html
Agreed. And I see that the Astral Protean appears in the Epic Level Handbook as the Hagunemnon, so I've removed both proteans from the list.

Traianus said:
The Quarg is a Winter Wolf.
Good catch. Looks like Quargs, Ice Wolves and Winter Wolves are all the same.

Traianus said:
A Xytar is basically a Camerilla
http://pandius.com/camrilla.html
Or a Camarilla is Xytar :D.

It's called a Xytar in the original Creature Catalogue (AC9) [1986], then a Camarilla in City of the Gods (DA3) [1987], a Xytar again in the updated Creature Catalog (DMR2) [1993] and a Xytar again in the Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix [1994].

Interestingly, the Consolidated Creature Conversion Index over on the Vaults of Pandius treats them as two different creatures. But the descriptions of the two are very similar, so I've taken the Xytar off my list.

Thanks for all of the updates!

An an aside, I wonder why AC9 and DMR2 used two different spellings of Catalog(ue)?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Mortis said:
I didn't have all the sources available to check so I was just going by name. I guess I should amalgamate them.
It's still a really, really useful index. Indexing the OD&D creatures was much easier than most of the other creatures, thanks to the CCCI :).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases