Typical Animals?

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
Has anyone done anything like compile a complete list of "real" animals in d20 stats?

I know that the Monster Manual has a bunch of stats, but they're not complete, and some of them seem off.

Thanks.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well, aside from the deer, moose, and sheep in the creature catalog, i know that several people have posted various animals stats in the old message boards. unfortunately, those boards are not up at the moment as far as i know. and i for one am eagerly waiting their return, so i can grab stuff off of em. :)

MythandLore

First Post
I think we should make a list of missing animals and then make them.
Domestic Animals are really lacking, I mean you walk into a town yet there is no stats for cows?
What's that all about?
Here I'll start it:
Chicken
Cow
Bull
Parrot
Domestic Pig
Mouse (vermin)
Goat

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
MythandLore, that's a great idea!

Falcon (most mysterious omission since it's listed in PHB)
Elk
Ram

Also, the Deer in the Creature Catalog (thanks BOZ) moves at 30ft. I had always pictured a deer being able to outrun a human, but I'm not a deer enthusiast and I can't find information online to back this up.

Any others?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Clint said:
Also, the Deer in the Creature Catalog (thanks BOZ) moves at 30ft. I had always pictured a deer being able to outrun a human, but I'm not a deer enthusiast and I can't find information online to back this up.

talk to Colonel Hardisson. :)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
That could be an oversight on my part. I should've given them a move of 40. They aren't as fast as horses on a straightaway. I could see, maybe, giving them a move of 50, but that seems a bit too fast to me. Antelopes and gazelles would move at 50 (some of them), with the pronghorn moving at 60 (assuming you used the basic deer stats for the pronghorn - eliminating the stuff about "bucks with antlers").

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
I think we should start working on a 3rd Edition Zoo, we can start with the improtant domestic animals first then move onto other animals even animals already done by WotC and make them close to their reallife counterparts.
Extinct animals like Wooly Mammoths and stuff would be good too.

MythandLore

First Post
BOZ said:
Sweet, are you putting it on CC?

ColonelHardisson said:
That could be an oversight on my part. I should've given them a move of 40. They aren't as fast as horses on a straightaway. I could see, maybe, giving them a move of 50, but that seems a bit too fast to me. Antelopes and gazelles would move at 50 (some of them), with the pronghorn moving at 60 (assuming you used the basic deer stats for the pronghorn - eliminating the stuff about "bucks with antlers").
Here's a break down of a few fast animals "DnD" speeds.
Cheetah
Top speed 65mph (x5 = 650ft)
Normal 13mph (130ft)

Pronghorn Antelope
Top speed 55mph (x5 = 550ft)
Normal 11mph (110ft)

Mongolian gazelle
Top speed 50mph (x5 = 500ft)
Normal 10mph (100ft)

Springbok
Top speed 50mph (x5 = 500ft)
Normal 10mph (100ft)