TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Well, you could always try to do an arc for one of the current fantasy series, maybe with the current licensor's of Conan or Red Sonja.

Personally, I'd love to see Gord take on Kulan Gath. If Conan had to team up with Elric to work against him... hmm... another incarnation of the Eternal Champion.

Speaking of more adventures in novel format--one thing I'd love to see would be some tales of Gord as "Cap'n Gord", with that ol' Crew he had between Sea of Death and Come Endless Darkness. There's a lot that could be done there, and there's a whole group of adventurers under him that could be fleshed out and expanded upon.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

OK Gary, it isn't like I yammer at you enough already but -

What's the worst "gotcha" your players have gotten you with when you're running the game?

For me, I had a wonderful/horrible scene where two spectres were unleashed on an unsuspecting party with a 5th level cleric, one at a time (to prevent a blanket turning of both of them). First round of combat: party wins initiative, first spectre TURNED. :mad:

Second round of combat, in comes the next spectre: TURNED! The &^%$!ing guy playing the cleric rolled a 19 in the first instance and a bloody 20 in the second! :mad:

Gary, no lie, I have had near-TPKs done with giant ticks on that same group. I've seen them wander dumbly into deadfall traps, sucked to near lifelessness by a group of shadows that they couldn't turn but NO. NO. THEY WALKED ALL OVER THE SPECTRES LIKE THEY WEREN'T THERE. :mad:

So. What's your "I can't believe they got away that easily" story?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Gary, I had mentioned your list of "recommended reading" in the 1e DMG on the previous Q&A thread. That list still gets discussed a lot, as it consists of a lot of the great fantasy and scifi authors and books of the first half of the twentieth century. I was wondering if you'd be inclined to share with us the books you'd include on an updated list? I know I'd be very interested in seeing what you thought were some of the most inspirational, in a D&D sense, books that you've read since the original list was composed.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
thedungeondelver said:

OK Gary, it isn't like I yammer at you enough already but -

What's the worst "gotcha" your players have gotten you with when you're running the game?

There have been a few. In AD&D play I'll never forget how Jim Ward's mid-level PC fought a vampire, and forced it to dust-mote without ever being hit. When we were play-testing the Hall of Many Panes module John Siebel's PC reacted instantly to an NPC threat that should have slain several of the party so that the adversary was killed, the team unscathed.

Perhaos the funniest of recent times was the play in the LA game Dance of the Fairy Ring module. Alex's Avatar, Xagnar, was quite tough, had gotten a pair of "Duck's Wings" as a magic item. The team was at a slime pool after what treasure might be hidden there, not the slime drake that lurked therein guarding it. Xagnar went in; the drake pinned him down to the bottom with one foot. At the same time a Necrourge named Dirah played by Dennis Harsh, saw the drake's head emerge, leaped in and attacked with a long dagger. In three strikes, all of which bypassed protection, two inflicting 20 harm and gaining additional bonus damage as well, the drake was toast! Because the drake was distracted fighting for its life, Xagnar managed to take out his Duck's Wings, flap one in each hand, and thus escape the pinning claw. My only consolation was remarking on how silly Alex's Avatar looked when using those feathery objects.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Gary, I had mentioned your list of "recommended reading" in the 1e DMG on the previous Q&A thread. That list still gets discussed a lot, as it consists of a lot of the great fantasy and scifi authors and books of the first half of the twentieth century. I was wondering if you'd be inclined to share with us the books you'd include on an updated list? I know I'd be very interested in seeing what you thought were some of the most inspirational, in a D&D sense, books that you've read since the original list was composed.
Howdy Colonel,

Short answer:

Frankly, I find very few new fantasy books in the general S&S vein worth reading. I do enjoy the "Diskworld" series, and Glen Cook's "Black Company" novels are appealing to me. Those are about all that spring to mind. The fiction I have been reading these days is mostly murder mystery (I loved the "Judge Dee" series), historical (such as Cornwell's various series), alternate history, and some re-reading of old fantasy & SF books.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases