TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
A quick note here about Lake Geneva Gaming Convention III:

It was great fun, and I do wish all those memebers here that were wishing to attend could have made it. The new room location in The Cove here was much superior to the original space. Better still, it is one of three new additions to the facility, with ones like it on the two floors above...and there is an elevator a dozen steps from the entrance as well.

I ran three LA game sessions on my front porch as well as schmoozed a good deal, signer a fair nuber of autographs, play-tested a fun little game named Adventure Arena and lost a seven player game of Dargon Lairds to co-creator of the board-based card game, tom What. He and Jim Ward have designed something that is both most enjoyable to play and possessed of uncertainty as to who will triumph until the victory points are tallied at game's end.

I could have played many more games, but I was the tour guide for the "Famous Gaming Locations" in Lake Geneva trop, and in the evenings I stayed home and entertained a few more fellow gamers here on the front porch--marvelous in fair weather, but quite unpalatable when it is really hot or when the temperature frops below 50 or so.

Enough!
Gary

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

Let me just say that Gary and Gail are excellent hosts. Enjoy the rest of that wine Gary (remember, it's best with pizza so the sweetness isn't an issue ;) ). Failing that, cook with it. :)

Colleen and I had a lot of fun this past week/weekend, Lake Geneva is a beautiful area, and we look forward to coming back sometime.

Three cheers to the Troll Lords for putting this thing together, three groans to me for letting five charactes out of C1 alive!

francisca

I got dice older than you.
thedungeondelver said:

Three cheers to the Troll Lords for putting this thing together, three groans to me for letting five charactes out of C1 alive!

Well, that's not totally your fault, we didn't get a chance to finish it, did we?

LGGC3 was a blast! Played Chainmail and successfully helped to defend the Moathouse (yes -- that one. I now know how the moathouse in T1/T1-4 got ruined) from the forces of good long enough for the Dark Lord to effect an escape. Played the above mentioned C1 w/ thedungeondelver as DM -- he's not only a great DM, who runs AD&D in a traditionally excellent way, he is a great guy as well. Tim Kask ran a great game of Circvs Maximvs for 10 n00bs. We had a great time, with the whole crowd still going crazy about the game at 2:30AM.

Finally, I'd like to thank Gary for signing my DMG and PHB, and the chit chat we had on saturday before you took off for your LA game. It was very nice to finally meet you and I enjoyed our conversation.

Pictures of the Moathouse Defense and the Circvs Maximvs game can be found here.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Welcome fellows :D

We, and I mean wife Gail and I, enjoy hosting gamers as they are a good lot and good guests. It is fun for all.

As I mentioned on another board, as a youngster I loved reading Leo Edwards series of boys' adventure books about "Jerry Todd" and "Poppy Ott." They were written a couple of decades and more before i discovered and read the first of the stories, and when i got to the end where Mr. Edwards invites readers to drop in and have some cookies and lemonade prepared by his wife, I was sad that invitation had been made so l;ong ago. Otherwise, his residence being in Wisconsin, I'd have begged and cajoled my parents into a visit to the Edwards' home.

The upshot is that his generosity in this regard inspired me to pledge to be akin to him if ever I was in a position to do so.

BTW, next year Gail plans on smoking two turkeys for the affair, as the single bird set out this year was essentially devoured in the first hour of the event :eek:

:lol:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
It is soooo easy to assume that C&C is AD&D :eek:

It is also very easy for my original material to be expressed in terms of the C&C game system...especially when someone edits the material to make it conform :lol:

Ciao,
Gary

EvilPheemy

First Post
One of the things I remember about the stories surrounding the Greyhawk ruins was the epic consequences that occurred. The (unintentional?) release of Fraz'Urb'Luu and Graz'zt primarily. Though I've noticed that few of the old stories featured encounters with Dragons. Do you have any fondly-remembered dragon adversaries who matched wits with Bigby, Tenser, and company? I'd love to hear about them.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mycanid said:
Good morning (or afternoon where you are) my good sir! :D

Never mind me ... just dropping by to say hello. :)
The morel of that is a cheerful greeting is always welcome and appreciated :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads