TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarek

Explorer
The Great Bear King said:
Unfortuantely, one of king Honore Lambert's nobles has found out about this arrangement and is contemplating the assassination both the king's daughter Celia and the dragon. His plan is to blame the dragon for her death slay him and gain enough aristocratic and popular support to seize the throne.

For another little twist on this, give the treacherous noble the following device on his coat of arms: gules, a Dragon rampant sinister.

Or maybe; gules, a Dragon affronty.

:)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
A week without Gary's insightful commentary is like a week without . . . beer. :)

So, Gary, I have to think of a good question.

Hmmm, what's your favorite European city, and did you capture aspects of real world European cities in your game cities? Or is each city you invented made from whole cloth?
:lol:

Actually, the only European cities I know even vaguely are London and Paris. I have otherwise been only to Amsterdam, Basil, Bologna, Frankfurt, Madrid, Manchester, Milan, Modena, Rotenburg, Southampton, Toledo, and Zurich, thus I am fondest of London and Paris, but really liked what I saw of Amsterdam and Madrid. Smaller places I stayed in or toured and liker include Barbizan, Bath, Cambridge, Ely, Sonning on the Thames...and the town whose name I have forgotten where Francois MArcela-Froideval's parents dwell (a very attractive place on a river, the name of which also slips my mind). There are a few more places also. I enjoyed most of them to some extent, although Manchester and Southampton were at best unremarkable.

There is likely a bit of many of those places in the fantasy communities I have created. The same is true for Marrakech, a place with which I was very much taken. What little I got to see of Casablanca and Wed Laou seemed interesting. Tangier and Tetoun were not appealing in the least, although the souk in Tetoun was a very stimulating place creatively.

As a FWIW, two of the most beautiful women I have ever seen were in Madrid and Old San Juan...but that's anpther sort of story entirely.

Cheerio,
Gary

Last edited:

Sitara

Explorer
Hey there gary;

i know you are probably bugged by these questions everyday, but I haven't come across your answer to this so iw ill go ahead and bother you with 'em:

1) Whats your reaction to 4E? What do you think of the direction the game is going. (i.le. being updated for a new age and breaking free of its traditional roots)

2)Which edition of dnd do you play these days, or which was the last edition game you played?

Regards.

Thanks, Gary. I'm going to guess you enjoyed the Tower of London and the Invalide (sp?) museum during your time in London and Paris, respectively.

The Imperial War Museum in London is my favorite museum, but it's all about the 20th century wars, no knights or Napoleonics. :)

Tarek said:
For another little twist on this, give the treacherous noble the following device on his coat of arms: gules, a Dragon rampant sinister.

Or maybe; gules, a Dragon affronty.

:)

Well, actually the young nobleman considers exploiting Princess Celia's potential death as plan A-2. Plan A-1 involves intentionally sacrificing her would be assassins by having them executed for attempted murder (unknown the hired killers of course), claiming they were employed by the dragon instead. This is of course assuming that these paid murders only maim Celia as per the young nobleman's request. Either way, he becomes king gaining prestige and glory, leads an army to slay the dragon and plunder his, and his employees and customers, wealth. He plans to then use his newly gained wealth and prestige to fund a five to ten-year long project to "save his world from its self". He's calculated a projection of 70,000-120,000 fatalities world as a result of this project. He considers this an acceptable cost for world peace. The young nobleman also has several contingency plans that lead to the same goal if he fails to seize his country's throne. As you can guess I'm planning to make a larger campaign with the same nobleman as a villian.

Zaltman

First Post
Gary,

Would love to get your input on the following:

According the 1e PHB:

Monk ability A is "the ability to speak with animals as druids do..."
Monk ability F is "the ability to speak with plants as druids do..."

Druids do not have speak with animals or plants as abilities, only as spells. So, I am confused. These are actually pretty strong spells since they prevent attack. To give monks unlimited use of these spell like abilities seems much too powerful, especially since druids do not get them as "abilities" and this type of behavior seem much more druid like than monk like.

Thanks.

loseth

First Post
Hey Colonel,

I asked you to rank your literary influences a while back. I've since put together a little reading list based on your answer and am having a great time working my way through it. Just wanted to say thanks. :)

JamesM

First Post
Gary,

Someone recently passed along a story, supposedly about your Greyhawk campaign and the origin of one of the demon princes. The story has the ring of plausibility to it, but I'd never heard it before, so I thought I'd ask.

The story goes that players in your campaign often ran afoul of Demogorgon by saying his name, which alerted him to their presence. To avoid this, they started calling him "You Know Who," which in turn led to your creation of the demon prince of Gnolls, Yeenoghu, to teach them a lesson.

Any truth to this tall tale or is it just a gamer urban legend? I'm inclined to believe it's not true but, as I said, it's not implausible given your love of puns and other wordplays.

Thanks.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sitara said:
Hey there gary;

i know you are probably bugged by these questions everyday, but I haven't come across your answer to this so iw ill go ahead and bother you with 'em:

1) Whats your reaction to 4E? What do you think of the direction the game is going. (i.le. being updated for a new age and breaking free of its traditional roots)

2)Which edition of dnd do you play these days, or which was the last edition game you played?

Regards.
No probelm at all :)

From what little I know of 4E it seems to be a completely different game from 3E, which in turn was a new one compared to all the earlier D&D games.

From a business standpoint the creation of 4E seems to be a good move, as the online game fantasy audience is vastly larger than that for paper & pencil FRPGs.

I just played a house ruled OD&D (three booklet) adventure at the Winterdark convention here, taking six created-on-the-spot 2nd level PCs on a dungeon crawl through the upper levels of my original Castle Greyhawk campaign, those dungeon levels being created in 1972 and 1973.

I will occassionally DM OAD&D...and although not AD&D, the C&C game as well.

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases