TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Col_Pladoh said:
:lol:

Just a typo there. My original spelling was Tsojcanth, a name I made up to sound exotic even in the WoG context.

Chaario,
Gary

HA HA HA HA!!!!

Grognards all about the net were speculating about this apocryphal John Scott fellow! See the results of your puns and anagrams!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day, Gary!

I hope you're well. :)

I had the pleasure of playing one of Tom Wham's self-published boardgames recently: Battling Space Ships. I found it a fun experience, though the game's mechanics didn't quite work with 5 players: we all created complete spaceships too soon and didn't do enough battling!

I was not particularly surprised to see your name in the list of playtester credits. I was just wondering if you remembered anything of your experiences with the game. ;)

Oh, the friend who introduced me to the game, Mike Rowlatt, has had the good fortune of playing boardgames with both you and Tom on one of his visits to the US. You may not remember him, but I'll include a picture of him just in case:

Mike's on the left; I'm on the right. Our friend Craig is between.

(Unfortunately, I neglected to take a picture of Mike playing Battling Space Ships. :()

Cheers!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Thanks for answering my questions, Gary.

Here's wishing you a calm life with fun but no noteriety. ;)

Some years back I was twice mistaken for Gerry Garcia--here in Lake Geneva and in Galena, IL.

I have been recognized by name when traveling a few times.

That's it.

Cheerio,Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Howdy Merric,

It has been some time since we played Tom Wham's Battling Spaceships game. I recall little of those games, save that I always went for multiple vessels and did fairly well...but no outstanding wins similar to those I have managed a number of times in Dragon Lairds playtests. That game is great fun for anywhere from three to seven players (with the special expansion that adds the Violet and Black dragons decks to the mix). I am looking forward to its publication--soon I hope.

Say hi to Mike for me. I sort of recollect his face as seen across a table.

Cheerio,
Gary

Nagora

Explorer
Hi, Gary,
Here's a question we'll never tire of asking until we get the answer we're looking for:

Any word on the Castle Zagyg: Upper Works release? It's still TBA on the TL site.

Also Gary, I think that villains, as well as heroes, should at least be reasonably intelligent. See Peter's Evil Overlord List for details. Any decently intelligent villain will at least attempt to follow these tips and rules. In fact, I just might use the List for my yet unnamed nobleman.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nagora said:
Hi, Gary,
Here's a question we'll never tire of asking until we get the answer we're looking for:

Any word on the Castle Zagyg: Upper Works release? It's still TBA on the TL site.
I expect that the first part of this multi-boxed set series will be released in late spring. After that the next in the series will follow in intervals of around four to six months time.

Cheerio,
Gary

frankthedm

First Post
What was the main reason for the copious amount of dinosaurs in the 1EMM?

Any particular reason D&D went with the dinosaur bodied hydra?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
frankthedm said:
What was the main reason for the copious amount of dinosaurs in the 1EMM?

Any particular reason D&D went with the dinosaur bodied hydra?
What a very unusual querry!

Actually, the number of dinosaurs given as monster listings for the AD&D game can be considered only a brief survey.

First I loved dinosaurs since I was a little child around age 5. As there existed when I wrote the AD&D monster materials any number of works featuring encounters with such creatures, the film King Kong amongst them, I decided to include a selection of them for use by DMs acquiring the book.

A snake-like hydra offers fewer environmental possibilities than does one with a quadrupedal body.

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases