TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Wonderful weather considering global warming...

This has been the coldest April in a long time here in Wisconsin. We have about fourinches of snow, and the power was out for nearly an hour early this afternoon :]

Cheers,
Gary

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Wonderful weather considering global warming...

This has been the coldest April in a long time here in Wisconsin. We have about fourinches of snow, and the power was out for nearly an hour early this afternoon :]

Cheers,
Gary

I still relate with horror the tale of arriving in Lake Geneva last June 16th and the outside temperature being 49F.

I know, I know, but see I'm from Florida. If it hits the 50's, I break out a sweater!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
thedungeondelver said:

I still relate with horror the tale of arriving in Lake Geneva last June 16th and the outside temperature being 49F.

I know, I know, but see I'm from Florida. If it hits the 50's, I break out a sweater!
Heh, the kinfolk from Louisiana wore sweaters almost all the time when up here they missed the couple of weeks of truly hot weather we have with temps in the upper 80s and 90s--sometimes it has his 100 or 101--with very high humidity as well. That is comparable to FLorida's summer weather I am assured.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Probably because most fantasy books these days are in the "romantic fantasy" sub-genre. I'd rather read a "well-wrought tale" any day!
That sort of writing is as appealing to me as a Victorian Romance novel...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Me, too. Do you enjoy H. Rider Haggard novels? I've been relishing them of late. The sense of awe he can convey is almost religious in intensity.
I haven't read any of Haggard's books in many years, but I surely do like his writing. Alan Quartermain, She, King Solomon's Mines, Miawah's Revenge are all remembered with great fondness. I believe he write other stories as well, but I can not remember them, so if I recall rightly, they were not of the caliber of those I can call to mind.

Incidently, I saw an old B&W film, She, back around 1948, and it scared the daylights out of me as I was only age 10. the Amahagar (sp.?) dropped red-hot pots over the heads of their human victims, and when She Who Must be Obeyed bathed in the ray a second time the decay was most horrifying for a youngster :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Doug McCrae said:
Gary, what were your inspirations for the D&D party? The small band of adventurers each with different, but equally useful, skills and abilities has been a very important concept in roleplaying games, yet it seems to have few analogues in fiction.
Indeed, as far as I know there are no literary parallels of the FRPG adventuring party. My insporation was from wargaming, the mix of arms on the battlefield. Infantry = fighter, rangers/spoes = thief; medical/priest = cleric, artillery/engineers = magic-user.

Cheerio,
Gary

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Indeed, as far as I know there are no literary parallels of the FRPG adventuring party.
The Fellowship of the Ring?

Not saying it was necessarily an inspiration, since I know you are not inordinately fond of Professor Tolkien's work; but the members of the Fellowship have, until their break-up, pretty clear roles as party members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases