TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
In general I envisaged the DM as a special member of the group, the one most dedicated to providing creative and imaginative material that would serve the other participants in their adventuring. The DM is nothing without the group, the group is nothing without the DM. these disparate elements are necessary to have a whole. The DM can also be a player, probably wants to take such a role a good deal of the time, but many players have no desire to assume the role of the DM, because of the responsibility and effort required.

Does that answer your questions?

Cheers,
Gary

Baduin

First Post
If you want to read good new fantasy, I would suggest Wolfe's New Sun cycle and Wizard Knight cycle, and M. John Harrison Viriconium Knights. All those books are very much D&D - monsters, artifacts, humanoids, space voyages, other planes etc.

Both New Sun and Viriconium describe very old Earth. They are essentially without magic - at least of the usual sort. There is a lot of very unusual magic, however. Usual people live on medieval level, but noblemen and adventurers can use plasma pistols, antigrav ships, energy swords, and exoskeletons.

As for monsters - on Urth of the New Sun cycle the typical animals are smilodons, arcotheriums etc. White wolves are rumoured to live in the walls of the invisible palace of the Autarch. Demented star-sailor uses teleporting mirrors to summon deadly and strange beings from far suns in order to kill his enemies. The alzabo devours the memories of its victims and speaks with their voices. The whole of Commonwealth is ruled by secret words and spells, which allow to direct the old forgotten machines and the servants of the Autarch. In the seas live the gigantic demons brought from stars. Their servants can become immortals, but must grow so great that they cannot walk upon the earth and must join their masters in the sea. In the Botanic Gardens of the Autarch all his subjects can for free see the enviroments from the oldest antiquity - and even meet denizens of that time, since the Gardens spread through time. Some of the soldiers of the Autarch are gen-engineered - eg dog-like faithful pandurs and winged anpiels.

All resources have been exhausted long ago, and now the mines serve to excavate the artifacts of antiquity.

Wizard-Knight describes a world divided into planes - above the middle earth there is the plane of gods, with the turreted castle of Valhalla floating in the sky like a star. Below the Earth there is the plane of the fey, and still deeper the plane of dragons. The lowest is the plane of the Lowest God. There are giants in the north, and (very different from them) giant-women. In the east dwell Osterlings, who used to be men, but now have to eat human meat to regain human form. (Their best depiction would be Persians from the film 300). The foundations of the Tower of Glass are on the plane of elves, but its top reaches the Middle Earth as an island in the sea. It is filled with armoury made by the Dragon-king. The volcano reaches down to the fiery plane of dragons.

Quasqueton

First Post
In general I envisaged the DM as a special member of the group, the one most dedicated to providing creative and imaginative material that would serve the other participants in their adventuring. The DM is nothing without the group, the group is nothing without the DM. these disparate elements are necessary to have a whole. The DM can also be a player, probably wants to take such a role a good deal of the time, but many players have no desire to assume the role of the DM, because of the responsibility and effort required.

Does that answer your questions?
Yes, it does. Thanks for responding.

I have follow up questions, if you don’t mind more.

What age did you think/consider the average D&D Player (character player and DM)? What mentality, maturity, and experience level did you write to? Did you write for 13-year-old kids, 25-year-old adults, or 40-year-old senior citizens*?

Quasqueton

* Note: I am two months from my 40th birthday, so this is written with tongue in cheek.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Quasqueton said:
Yes, it does. Thanks for responding.

I have follow up questions, if you don’t mind more.

What age did you think/consider the average D&D Player (character player and DM)? What mentality, maturity, and experience level did you write to? Did you write for 13-year-old kids, 25-year-old adults, or 40-year-old senior citizens*?

Quasqueton

* Note: I am two months from my 40th birthday, so this is written with tongue in cheek.
Age was not a consideration. Degree of intellect and scope of imagination were. Of course I assumed a considerable depth of knowledge of fantasy subjects and an understanding of history for the DM.

Cheers,
Gary

RFisher

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
You are most likely correct, but what I said applies to the WoG as well as to the game per se.

Yeah, I meant Greyhawk specifically, but I was just as interested in the answer I got. (^_^)

Col_Pladoh said:
Here are the RPGs I am or will soon GM:
Lejendary Adventure
Lejendary AsteRogues (coming out late this year, I hope)
OD&D
OAD&D

I will happily play:
The above RPGs
Metamorphisis Alpha
Any nin-rules-heavy RPG that someone else is willing to run for the group.

Did anyone else notice anything conspicuously absent from that list?

Doc_Souark

Explorer
Hiya Mr. G :)

Was there anything that you wished you had done in DnD that was excluded or toned down ?

How's Ernie doing ? Tell him hi for me.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RFisher said:
Yeah, I meant Greyhawk specifically, but I was just as interested in the answer I got. (^_^)

Did anyone else notice anything conspicuously absent from that list?
Okay, I do enjoy RPGing some other games as well, but no one here runs campaigns of same. Those include Warriors of Mars, Boot Hill, Top Secret, Gang Busters. Paranoia, and CoC.

:D
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Doc_Souark said:
Hiya Mr. G :)

Was there anything that you wished you had done in DnD that was excluded or toned down ?

How's Ernie doing ? Tell him hi for me.
Well, if i were writing the D&D or AD&D game today, the results would be quite different systems; but in answer to your question, no nothing I wanted in the games I authored was expurgated.

Ernie is fine. I just returned from boardgaming with him at his place. Tom Wham and I were the only others there today. Ernie won both games, St. Petersberg and Palazio [sp?]

Cheerio,
Gary

P.S. Somehow I forgot to mention we also played Ticket to Ride, Europe, and Ernie won that one too :]

Last edited:

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Okay, I do enjoy RPGing some other games as well, but no one here runs campaigns of same. Those include Warriors of Mars, Boot Hill, Top Secret, Gang Busters. Paranoia, and CoC.
My guess is that Mr. Fisher is referring to C&C. :uhoh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases