Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 146

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Thanks be!

The elemental puns are no longer being compounded.

Never have I been subjected to such stretches of the art form in my life

Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffith Dragonlake
    Hi Gary,

Starting with OD&D (1974), all dragons had a % chance to talk, and all but the white dragons a % chance to use magic.

What was your inspiration for talking and/or magic-using dragons? I'm at a loss to find any European mythological or pre-20th century literary sources for magic-using dragons (aside from the East Asian ones).
    Howdy,

Actually, you have the source of that inspiration, the Oriental treatment of dragons. It seemed a good idea to me to enable Occidental dragons to be able to converse and use magic in order to make them more dangerous and complex.

Christmas best wishes,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Thanks be!

The elemental puns are no longer being compounded.

Never have I been subjected to such stretches of the art form in my life

Gary
    Then we should take great paints to avoid them even though the temptation to do so is like having an itch you can't sketch.
    No version of D&D has an Expiration Date.

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in the Funny Hat
    Then we should take great paints to avoid them even though the temptation to do so is like having an itch you can't sketch.
    Okay. I'll easley hue to your line...even if I think you did it in gesso.

Happy Christmas,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Howdy,

Actually, you have the source of that inspiration, the Oriental treatment of dragons. It seemed a good idea to me to enable Occidental dragons to be able to converse and use magic in order to make them more dangerous and complex.

Christmas best wishes,
    Gary
    Hello Gary,

Speaking of complex dragon related ideas; I started toying around with the thought of an adventure based around the usual task of rescuing a princess or other child of nobility from a centuries-old dragon. The twist is that the king or other noble was overspending and borrowed money from the same dragon to pay for armies and other costs. Part of their contract stated that should the king or nobleman default on his loan payments for more than three months the dragon can by right of contract claim the king's or noble's eldest unmarried daughter as collateral. If he pays the dragon in one monthĺs time the king's daughter will be returned unharmed if she so wishes. Otherwise the dragon keeps her as an employee. The king or nobleman has about 400,000 gold in debt to the dragon. I have three questions for you Gary, what color (red, green, black, ect.) would the dragon be, what would the alignments of the dragon and king/nobleman be and what level would this adventure be suitable for? I was partially inspired by the dragons as bankers thread on Giant in the Playground forums and by Belteshazzar's, Xuincherguixe's and Hectonkhyres' posts in particular.
    Blackadder: To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Blackadder: 'A war hasn't been fought this badly since Olaf the Hairy, High Chief of all the Vikings, accidentally ordered 80,000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside.'

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until 'Doom', no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."
    ~ Terry Pratchett

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for the rest of his life. Mudhole a man, you teach the rest of these lazy bums to find their own food"
    ~ Kain Darkwind's Dicefreaks signature

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore rossik
    hi gary!

im a little "off" from the boards, as im goingo to get married next week (what?! nobody missed me? ).

but i just whant to wish you and all your afmily (And our gamers family!) merry x-mas and a happy new year, full of new perspectives and health to all
    "As I created them, there are absolutely no good Drow save for the insane." (Gary Gygax, EN World, 2007)

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore haakon1
    Yes, Merry Christmas, Gary, and early Happy New Year.

One of my old friends got a critical hit the other day, killing a hell hound. This launched into stories about great crits from previous campaigns decades ago. At the end, he said, "God, I love D&D."

Thanks for making so many people happy, Gary.

Happy Christmas Gary!

K.R.Bourgoine
    www.ADVENTURERGAME.com

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Fifth Element
    Hi Gary:

Happy holidays.

I'd bet cash money that this has been asked before, but here we go. I know the game "Outdoor Survival" was listed as being required for early D&D wilderness adventures. I also know that many people simply used the map included with the game. Was there more to it than that? How did you use the game in D&D?

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Yuletide Greetings Great Bear King

That is an interesting idea for a lengthy adventure, although it assumes dragons of a far less predatory and rapacious sort that ae typically presented. Not a bad idea at all

Christmas best wishes,
    Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 146 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4696136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156 ... LastLast