What's on your mind?

Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by rossik
    hi gary!

im a little "off" from the boards, as im goingo to get married next week (what?! nobody missed me? ).

but i just whant to wish you and all your afmily (And our gamers family!) merry x-mas and a happy new year, full of new perspectives and health to all
    Christmas BLessings Rossik,

Thanks for your thoughts, and congratulations to you, best wishes to your bride to be, on your forthcoming nupruals.

Yuletide cheer,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Yes, Merry Christmas, Gary, and early Happy New Year.

One of my old friends got a critical hit the other day, killing a hell hound. This launched into stories about great crits from previous campaigns decades ago. At the end, he said, "God, I love D&D."

Thanks for making so many people happy, Gary.
    Christmas Cheer!

Yes, reminising is a great feature of the D&D game with a group of long-time players.

Yuletide best,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by KRBourgoine
    Happy Christmas Gary!

K.R.Bourgoine
    www.ADVENTURERGAME.com
    Thanks KB, and the same to you

Christmas blessings,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifth Element
    Hi Gary:

Happy holidays.

I'd bet cash money that this has been asked before, but here we go. I know the game "Outdoor Survival" was listed as being required for early D&D wilderness adventures. I also know that many people simply used the map included with the game. Was there more to it than that? How did you use the game in D&D?
    Yuletide Cheer,

We used the map, moved counters on it, and rolled for getting lost, so that one was never certain which direction one would head on a turn. Random encounters were used, and the ponds were castles, so there was some jousting rather thanb regular mortal combat.

That's pretty well sums it up--at least all that I can recall after 30 years.

Merrie Christmas,
    Gary

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Gentlegamer
    My communities:

No player has ever succeeded in a game of "Gary Gygax Survival."
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore gideon_thorne
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
    No player has ever succeeded in a game of "Gary Gygax Survival."

There's your new reality TV show. "Survivor, Temple of Elemental Evil." ^_~`
    Peter

C&C Art Troll

www.ravenchilde.com

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Tarek
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Bear King
    Hello Gary,

Speaking of complex dragon related ideas; I started toying around with the thought of an adventure based around the usual task of rescuing a princess or other child of nobility from a centuries-old dragon. The twist is that the king or other noble was overspending and borrowed money from the same dragon to pay for armies and other costs. Part of their contract stated that should the king or nobleman default on his loan payments for more than three months the dragon can by right of contract claim the king's or noble's eldest unmarried daughter as collateral. If he pays the dragon in one monthĺs time the king's daughter will be returned unharmed if she so wishes. Otherwise the dragon keeps her as an employee. The king or nobleman has about 400,000 gold in debt to the dragon.
    This has all the makings of a morality story.

The dragon in question would clearly be either an Oriental dragon (Ch'iang Lung or Tien Lung) or a Gold dragon.

The dragon's goal is partly to be repaid, but also to teach the wastrel king a lesson in fiscal and political responsibility.

The king in question should probably be noted for being "aggressive" in his dealings with his neighbors, and for having "too large" an army and spending "too much" for luxury items he doesn't need. Not necessarily to the point of covering his palace in gold, but certainly more than he needs to.

He can be relatively intelligent, but too given to listening to people who want to leech off him, or surrounded by sycophants, but no matter what motivation you give him, he should be honestly concerned about and care about his daughter.

Otherwise, there's a good chance that the party will just blow off the quest, if you make him too unlikeable, too arrogant, or too foolish.

Finally, the actual nature of the dragon in question should be kept from the adventurers if possible. Perhaps no one saw the dragon, who used stealth and/or shapechanging magic to abduct said princess.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore JohnRTroy
    My communities:

There's your new reality TV show. "Survivor, Temple of Elemental Evil." ^_~`
    Heh, I had Survivor on at Gary's house early November while he and Jim Ward were playing Chinese Checkers in the dining room. (I wasn't really watching it, I'm used to it in the background on Thursdays when I use my computer--I was getting kind of homesick at the time). I think at one point Gary said to Gail "what is this stuff I'm hearing--I think the word for it is Jejune!"

So I doubt you'll see a Gary-hosted Reality show on TV ever, unless it's historical-based like Frontier House.

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRTroy
    Heh, I had Survivor on at Gary's house early November while he and Jim Ward were playing Chinese Checkers in the dining room. (I wasn't really watching it, I'm used to it in the background on Thursdays when I use my computer--I was getting kind of homesick at the time). I think at one point Gary said to Gail "what is this stuff I'm hearing--I think the word for it is Jejune!"

So I doubt you'll see a Gary-hosted Reality show on TV ever, unless it's historical-based like Frontier House.
    Yuletide Cheer!

We were each playing three sets of marbles, and Jim beat me one move

Right you are about "reality" shows, JRT. They are as real as the scripts that they follow.

Christmas best wishes,
    Gary

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Ignore Bregh
    My communities:

Merry Christmas, Gary, and all the best to you and yours for the coming year.

And thanks again, for all you've done for the hobby.

• Closed Thread
    Page 147 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4797137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157 ... LastLast