Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 148

What's on your mind?

Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Bregh
    Merry Christmas, Gary, and all the best to you and yours for the coming year.

And thanks again, for all you've done for the hobby.
    Message received and appreciated

Happy chrustmas,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Tarek
    This has all the makings of a morality story.

The dragon in question would clearly be either an Oriental dragon (Ch'iang Lung or Tien Lung) or a Gold dragon.

The dragon's goal is partly to be repaid, but also to teach the wastrel king a lesson in fiscal and political responsibility.

The king in question should probably be noted for being "aggressive" in his dealings with his neighbors, and for having "too large" an army and spending "too much" for luxury items he doesn't need. Not necessarily to the point of covering his palace in gold, but certainly more than he needs to.

He can be relatively intelligent, but too given to listening to people who want to leech off him, or surrounded by sycophants, but no matter what motivation you give him, he should be honestly concerned about and care about his daughter.

Otherwise, there's a good chance that the party will just blow off the quest, if you make him too unlikeable, too arrogant, or too foolish.
    King Honore Lambert's only problems are with his military spending and his own fear and paranoia directed towards his neighbors. His reason for this vast military and defense spending is very simple, he has four daughters and we doesn't want to even imagine the horrors they would face if his country was invaded nor would he want the same fate for the daughters of his citizenry. Sadly, while his fears are unfounded at the moment, they are from experience. In his younger days the man who is now King Honore Lambert was storming the port city of Caismercado or Wharf market in English. Even at the age of 17 Honore understood the naval significance of this port town due the fact that this city possess the largest and best-equipped human shipyard on the continent. Days before reaching the town young Honore hears tales of enemy solders committing arson, looting, pillaging, rape and murder. This encourages the young prince to take the city, liberate its people and put its tormentors to the sword. All goes according to plans but the future king finds out to his disgust, that the perpetrators were his own countrymen. He and his army spent the rest of the battle fighting to protect the locals from their fellow countrymen. Honore in particular fought to defend a young, in this case 19 year-old, woman named Ofelia and her family. Later the young prince helped Ofelia and her family rebuild. Eventually the two fell in love and after king Nicolas Lambert's death in battle two years later, Honore ascended to the throne and convinced Terra de Riqueza's monarch to accept Honore's marriage to Ofelia as the bond of an official truce, even though Ofelia was nothing more than a commoner. The dragon Le Feu de Nuage told the king he knows all about that horrible night. "I fought in that battle." The dragon replied. "Not in this shape of course. Do you remember that oddly dressed red-haired and bearded knight you saw fighting along with you? That was I. The same men you fought and killed, murdered my lover and nearly butchered my children twelve days before. I drove them out of my cave then hunted down and helped you kill them the rats they were. I understand completely what you're asking me to do. And if your defenses do fall," the dragon paused for a moment before saying, "then I'll come and evacuate your wife, daughters and as many of your citizens as I can." This said, the king hires the party to "rescue" his eldest daughter, but only because of accusations and whisper campaigns claiming that king Honore has no concern for the well being of his own daughters. He's sent a secret message to Le Feu de Nuage warning him of the party's arrival and telling him not to kill or maim any of them, but to instead fully explain the circumstances of their contract. Unfortuantely, one of king Honore Lambert's nobles has found out about this arrangement and is contemplating the assassination both the king's daughter Celia and the dragon. His plan is to blame the dragon for her death slay him and gain enough aristocratic and popular support to seize the throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarek
    Finally, the actual nature of the dragon in question should be kept from the adventurers if possible. Perhaps no one saw the dragon, who used stealth and/or shapechanging magic to abduct said princess.
    A simple sleep spell would probably work rather well in my mind along with a casting of polymorph self.
    Blackadder: To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Blackadder: 'A war hasn't been fought this badly since Olaf the Hairy, High Chief of all the Vikings, accidentally ordered 80,000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside.'

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until 'Doom', no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."
    ~ Terry Pratchett

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for the rest of his life. Mudhole a man, you teach the rest of these lazy bums to find their own food"
    ~ Kain Darkwind's Dicefreaks signature

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Griffith Dragonlake
    My communities:

Happy New Year Gary!

Over in this thread http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=215360 there is a discussion of the origin of D&D Ghouls. In particular, Jester47 poses the following questions:
    Quote Originally Posted by jester47
    Also, anyone know where the ghoul paralysis came from? Also, why are elves immune? I thought I saw a reason for this recently harkening back to the original chainmail.
    I'm sure the folks would appreciate it greatly if you would post an answer to that thread.
    Autumn leaves
    Cast upon the water
    Waiting to return

This says Im a Character Player 90%, Storyteller 80%, Weekend Warrior 65%, Tactitian 65%
    This says Im an awful good paladin.
    The Magus my take on a Magical Medival Wizard using skills & feats for learning & casting spells as well as paying a price in Sanity Points.

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffith Dragonlake
    Happy New Year Gary!

Over in this thread http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=215360 there is a discussion of the origin of D&D Ghouls. In particular, Jester47 poses the following questions:
    I'm sure the folks would appreciate it greatly if you would post an answer to that thread.
    Headed over there now

Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore haakon1
    My communities:

A week without Gary's insightful commentary is like a week without . . . beer.

So, Gary, I have to think of a good question.

Hmmm, what's your favorite European city, and did you capture aspects of real world European cities in your game cities? Or is each city you invented made from whole cloth?

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Tarek
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Bear King
    Unfortuantely, one of king Honore Lambert's nobles has found out about this arrangement and is contemplating the assassination both the king's daughter Celia and the dragon. His plan is to blame the dragon for her death slay him and gain enough aristocratic and popular support to seize the throne.
    For another little twist on this, give the treacherous noble the following device on his coat of arms: gules, a Dragon rampant sinister.

Or maybe; gules, a Dragon affronty.

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    A week without Gary's insightful commentary is like a week without . . . beer.

So, Gary, I have to think of a good question.

Hmmm, what's your favorite European city, and did you capture aspects of real world European cities in your game cities? Or is each city you invented made from whole cloth?

Actually, the only European cities I know even vaguely are London and Paris. I have otherwise been only to Amsterdam, Basil, Bologna, Frankfurt, Madrid, Manchester, Milan, Modena, Rotenburg, Southampton, Toledo, and Zurich, thus I am fondest of London and Paris, but really liked what I saw of Amsterdam and Madrid. Smaller places I stayed in or toured and liker include Barbizan, Bath, Cambridge, Ely, Sonning on the Thames...and the town whose name I have forgotten where Francois MArcela-Froideval's parents dwell (a very attractive place on a river, the name of which also slips my mind). There are a few more places also. I enjoyed most of them to some extent, although Manchester and Southampton were at best unremarkable.

There is likely a bit of many of those places in the fantasy communities I have created. The same is true for Marrakech, a place with which I was very much taken. What little I got to see of Casablanca and Wed Laou seemed interesting. Tangier and Tetoun were not appealing in the least, although the souk in Tetoun was a very stimulating place creatively.

As a FWIW, two of the most beautiful women I have ever seen were in Madrid and Old San Juan...but that's anpther sort of story entirely.

Cheerio,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Wednesday, 9th January, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    I forgot to mention two cities:

Lyons was an impressive one.

Nurenberg.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Sitara
    My communities:

Hey there gary;

i know you are probably bugged by these questions everyday, but I haven't come across your answer to this so iw ill go ahead and bother you with 'em:

1) Whats your reaction to 4E? What do you think of the direction the game is going. (i.le. being updated for a new age and breaking free of its traditional roots)

2)Which edition of dnd do you play these days, or which was the last edition game you played?

Regards.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore haakon1
    My communities:

Thanks, Gary. I'm going to guess you enjoyed the Tower of London and the Invalide (sp?) museum during your time in London and Paris, respectively.

The Imperial War Museum in London is my favorite museum, but it's all about the 20th century wars, no knights or Napoleonics.

• Closed Thread
    Page 148 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4898138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158 ... LastLast