Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 149

What's on your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarek
    For another little twist on this, give the treacherous noble the following device on his coat of arms: gules, a Dragon rampant sinister.

Or maybe; gules, a Dragon affronty.

Well, actually the young nobleman considers exploiting Princess Celia's potential death as plan A-2. Plan A-1 involves intentionally sacrificing her would be assassins by having them executed for attempted murder (unknown the hired killers of course), claiming they were employed by the dragon instead. This is of course assuming that these paid murders only maim Celia as per the young nobleman's request. Either way, he becomes king gaining prestige and glory, leads an army to slay the dragon and plunder his, and his employees and customers, wealth. He plans to then use his newly gained wealth and prestige to fund a five to ten-year long project to "save his world from its self". He's calculated a projection of 70,000-120,000 fatalities world as a result of this project. He considers this an acceptable cost for world peace. The young nobleman also has several contingency plans that lead to the same goal if he fails to seize his country's throne. As you can guess I'm planning to make a larger campaign with the same nobleman as a villian.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Zaltman
    My communities:

Gary,

Would love to get your input on the following:

According the 1e PHB:

Monk ability A is "the ability to speak with animals as druids do..."
    Monk ability F is "the ability to speak with plants as druids do..."

Druids do not have speak with animals or plants as abilities, only as spells. So, I am confused. These are actually pretty strong spells since they prevent attack. To give monks unlimited use of these spell like abilities seems much too powerful, especially since druids do not get them as "abilities" and this type of behavior seem much more druid like than monk like.

Thanks.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore loseth
    Hey Colonel,

I asked you to rank your literary influences a while back. I've since put together a little reading list based on your answer and am having a great time working my way through it. Just wanted to say thanks.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore JamesM
    My communities:

Gary,

Someone recently passed along a story, supposedly about your Greyhawk campaign and the origin of one of the demon princes. The story has the ring of plausibility to it, but I'd never heard it before, so I thought I'd ask.

The story goes that players in your campaign often ran afoul of Demogorgon by saying his name, which alerted him to their presence. To avoid this, they started calling him "You Know Who," which in turn led to your creation of the demon prince of Gnolls, Yeenoghu, to teach them a lesson.

Any truth to this tall tale or is it just a gamer urban legend? I'm inclined to believe it's not true but, as I said, it's not implausible given your love of puns and other wordplays.

Thanks.
    James Maliszewski,
    Grognardia: An examination of the history and traditions of the hobby of roleplaying

Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitara
    Hey there gary;

i know you are probably bugged by these questions everyday, but I haven't come across your answer to this so iw ill go ahead and bother you with 'em:

1) Whats your reaction to 4E? What do you think of the direction the game is going. (i.le. being updated for a new age and breaking free of its traditional roots)

2)Which edition of dnd do you play these days, or which was the last edition game you played?

Regards.
    No probelm at all

From what little I know of 4E it seems to be a completely different game from 3E, which in turn was a new one compared to all the earlier D&D games.

From a business standpoint the creation of 4E seems to be a good move, as the online game fantasy audience is vastly larger than that for paper & pencil FRPGs.

I just played a house ruled OD&D (three booklet) adventure at the Winterdark convention here, taking six created-on-the-spot 2nd level PCs on a dungeon crawl through the upper levels of my original Castle Greyhawk campaign, those dungeon levels being created in 1972 and 1973.

I will occassionally DM OAD&D...and although not AD&D, the C&C game as well.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Thanks, Gary. I'm going to guess you enjoyed the Tower of London and the Invalide (sp?) museum during your time in London and Paris, respectively.

The Imperial War Museum in London is my favorite museum, but it's all about the 20th century wars, no knights or Napoleonics.
    Westminster was something else, as was Notre Dame. Sadly I did not get to the Imperial War Museum.

Just being in London and Paris, seeing the hostorical places, the monuments, and famous streets is quite an exhilarating thing.

Of course bistros, pubs, and restaurants were much appreciated by me as well. Staying in PAris at the Plaze Athena in a room that opened onto tthe courtyard fountain that went "plop, plop, plop," as mentioned in Coward's play, Private Lives, just made my stay there.

Cheers,
    Gary

Writing TimeWatch!
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Piratecat
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by loseth
    I've since put together a little reading list based on your answer and am having a great time working my way through it.
    I just finished reading all of Jack Vance's Cugel stories, something I've been meaning to do since I learned about them in the back of the 1e books in '81. (Yes, yes, it took me a while.) They're utterly delightful! Thanks, Gary.

- Kevin

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaltman
    Gary,

Would love to get your input on the following:

According the 1e PHB:

Monk ability A is "the ability to speak with animals as druids do..."
    Monk ability F is "the ability to speak with plants as druids do..."

Druids do not have speak with animals or plants as abilities, only as spells. So, I am confused. These are actually pretty strong spells since they prevent attack. To give monks unlimited use of these spell like abilities seems much too powerful, especially since druids do not get them as "abilities" and this type of behavior seem much more druid like than monk like.

Thanks.
    The intent there was to empower the Monk character to speak as indicated sans use of a spell.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by loseth
    Hey Colonel,

I asked you to rank your literary influences a while back. I've since put together a little reading list based on your answer and am having a great time working my way through it. Just wanted to say thanks.
    Pleased to oblige.

If so motivated later on, I would evry much enjoy learning how you felt about those works I cited as influencing my creativity.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM
    Gary,

Someone recently passed along a story, supposedly about your Greyhawk campaign and the origin of one of the demon princes. The story has the ring of plausibility to it, but I'd never heard it before, so I thought I'd ask.

The story goes that players in your campaign often ran afoul of Demogorgon by saying his name, which alerted him to their presence. To avoid this, they started calling him "You Know Who," which in turn led to your creation of the demon prince of Gnolls, Yeenoghu, to teach them a lesson.

Any truth to this tall tale or is it just a gamer urban legend? I'm inclined to believe it's not true but, as I said, it's not implausible given your love of puns and other wordplays.

Thanks.
    Close but no cigar

A group of players, including regulars that should have known better, did something that brought eother Demogorgon or Orcus, I can not recall which it was, to the location of their relatively high-level PCs. They used a wish to call a potent deity opposed to that demon prince, not specifying that the one desired be of Good alignment, so who should appear but Asmodeus.

They were glad to escape with their lives, for I rules that the two great lords of Evil were so amused by such stupidity that they found it beneath their dignity to expinge such bumblers, that they would soon manage that themselves without the helping hand they could employ.

Cheerio,
    Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 149 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4999139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159 ... LastLast