Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 150

Closed Thread
Page 150 of 161 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1606
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratecat
    I just finished reading all of Jack Vance's Cugel stories, something I've been meaning to do since I learned about them in the back of the 1e books in '81. (Yes, yes, it took me a while.) They're utterly delightful! Thanks, Gary.

- Kevin
    Hi Piratecat

Something I've not mentioned before about the Cugel novel, Eyes of Overworld. I was a young teenager when I first read it, and it so amused me that I gave it to my mother to read, as she sometimes read fantasy and SF works.

She was appauled by the total lack of character evidenced by Cugel, and I suppose she feared that I might be influenced by such amorality and self-indulgence as Vance wrote into his anti-hero. Of course I concurred with her assessment of Cugel, but pointed out that making such a despicable character the protagonist was a stroke of considerable creativity, done with much dark humor, which, coupled with the author's marvelous talent for prose, made the novel a great work in its genre. She was not convinced...

Ciao,
    Gary

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore JamesM
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Close but no cigar
    So then what was the origin of Yeenoghu? Or was he just another random demon lord created whole cloth for some other purpose?

Thanks.
    James Maliszewski,
    Grognardia: An examination of the history and traditions of the hobby of roleplaying

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore JamesM
    I just played a house ruled OD&D (three booklet) adventure at the Winterdark convention here, taking six created-on-the-spot 2nd level PCs on a dungeon crawl through the upper levels of my original Castle Greyhawk campaign, those dungeon levels being created in 1972 and 1973.
    I often read of your running a house ruled OD&D game with the three little brown books rather than AD&D. Is there any reason for this other than simplicity? I ask mostly because I often here contradictory things about the extent to which AD&D as published represented your truest vision of the Dungeons & Dragons game or not. I know, for example, that you've expressed a dislike for certain sub-systems added to the game (such as psionics, weapon speed factors, etc.), so I often wonder if this has any impact on your choice of OD&D with which to play.

Thanks.
    James Maliszewski,
    Grognardia: An examination of the history and traditions of the hobby of roleplaying

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM
    So then what was the origin of Yeenoghu? Or was he just another random demon lord created whole cloth for some other purpose?

Thanks.
    Just so.

I wanted to augment the roster of potent demons, so I made up Yeenoghu as the Demon Lord of Gnolls.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM
    I often read of your running a house ruled OD&D game with the three little brown books rather than AD&D. Is there any reason for this other than simplicity? I ask mostly because I often here contradictory things about the extent to which AD&D as published represented your truest vision of the Dungeons & Dragons game or not. I know, for example, that you've expressed a dislike for certain sub-systems added to the game (such as psionics, weapon speed factors, etc.), so I often wonder if this has any impact on your choice of OD&D with which to play.

Thanks.
    OD&D allows for easy character creation and being rulkes light encourages DM creativity and player creativity and innovation in play. Thus I prefer to use the system when doing one-off adventures and dungeon crawls.

For campaign play I use the Lejendary Adventure game system these days, as characters and milieux created using it are in my considered opinion superior, as well as encouraging the sort of play that is fostered by OD&D.

Cheerio,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Tuesday, 15th January, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

I just played a house ruled OD&D (three booklet) adventure at the Winterdark convention here, taking six created-on-the-spot 2nd level PCs on a dungeon crawl through the upper levels of my original Castle Greyhawk campaign, those dungeon levels being created in 1972 and 1973.
    You're killing me, man. I had planned on heading to Winterdark, but it wasn't in the cards.

Now on to more niggling details of years gone by...

A while back I was working up a back story for T1-4. According to the the module, the Temple of Elemental Evil itself was built up in a matter of a few years by the forces of woe, but I don't recall seeing any discussion of who built the Moathouse. Was it also the work of the bad guys, or did they simply take over an existing structure? Or, did you not even consider the issue?

As always, thanks.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Ignore Filcher
    A group of players, including regulars that should have known better, did something that brought eother Demogorgon or Orcus, I can not recall which it was, to the location of their relatively high-level PCs. They used a wish to call a potent deity opposed to that demon prince, not specifying that the one desired be of Good alignment, so who should appear but Asmodeus.

They were glad to escape with their lives, for I rules that the two great lords of Evil were so amused by such stupidity that they found it beneath their dignity to expinge such bumblers, that they would soon manage that themselves without the helping hand they could employ.

Cheerio,
    Gary
    Great story.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by francisca
    You're killing me, man. I had planned on heading to Winterdark, but it wasn't in the cards.

Now on to more niggling details of years gone by...

A while back I was working up a back story for T1-4. According to the the module, the Temple of Elemental Evil itself was built up in a matter of a few years by the forces of woe, but I don't recall seeing any discussion of who built the Moathouse. Was it also the work of the bad guys, or did they simply take over an existing structure? Or, did you not even consider the issue?

As always, thanks.
    Winterdark II was a most enjoyable mini-con. Hope you can make the LGGC IV in June and/or Winterdark III next January.

The Moathouse was subsumed as being built by a local lord some decades before the ToEE came into existance.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Filcher
    Great story.
    Thanks.

Speaking of bumbling, the number ot typos in my post place me into that category

Gary

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore FATDRAGONGAMES
    No probelm at all

Cheerio,
    Gary
    Any chance of a repeat in June when I can attend?
    Tom Tullis
    Fat Dragon Games

• Closed Thread
    Page 150 of 161 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... LastLast