Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 151

Closed Thread
Page 151 of 161 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1606
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Winterdark II was a most enjoyable mini-con. Hope you can make the LGGC IV in June and/or Winterdark III next January.
    I almost certainly will make LGGC 4. I'll be rooming with Mr. Kask, unless current plans change.

The Moathouse was subsumed as being built by a local lord some decades before the ToEE came into existance.

Cheerio,
    Gary
    Ha! That's the angle I took! 3 members of the PC party were heirs of the Moathouse and surrounding area, and had come back to reclaim it!

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Just being in London and Paris, seeing the hostorical places, the monuments, and famous streets is quite an exhilarating thing.
    I know what you mean. The first time I was in Trafalgar Square, it was like -- I've been here before so many times, but only in movies, TV, books, etc. Even living in London for 2 years, I'd still get that feeling occassionally . . . it's odd to take a train for workaday purposes from Paddington Station, and then think about Paddington Bear and Harry Potter.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by FATDRAGONGAMES
    Any chance of a repeat in June when I can attend?
    I'd say fair to middlin'

I hope that by June I'll feel up to running a couple of LA games with an OD&D filler or two. However, I do plan on running several five-player games of King of England - King of France at Lake Geneva Gaming Convention IV this June as well...and maybe playing a game of the most excellent Dragon Lairds as well.

Cheers,
    Gary

I figured I'd post this announce in the Gygax thread to give it a little boost, since I saw it elsewhere on ENWorld.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Moon Games
    Paizo has announced the release of the novel Infernal Sorceress by Gary Gygax, to be released this July.

Infernal Sorceress, by Gary Gygax, blazes into print for the first time ever. The legendary "lost" Gary Gygax novel offers a new glimpse at a master fantasist at the peak of his game. Gary Gygax, co-creator of the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS role-playing game and patron saint to a generation of fantasy game enthusiasts, is best known in fiction for the wily protagonist Gord the Rogue and the cunning detective-sorcerer Setne Inhetep. The long-awaited Infernal Sorceress takes place on Aerth, a fantastic planet informed by Earth in the Dark Ages and medieval period. It's also the setting for his novels The Anubis Murders and The Samarkand Solution, also available from Planet Stories. Introduction by Erik Mona, Publisher of Planet Stories and the former Editor-in-Chief of DRAGON magazine. Available in bookstores everywhere this July.

Additional information on the 2008 Planet Stories releases can be found at paizo.com/planetstories.
    Long time Mythus fans may remember Gary's talk of a "Tales of the Ferret" book, this is that one. A few years back I was able to recover this for Gary. This has NEVER been printed before so it's brand new.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore grodog
    LOL. I was just going to ask for additional details about this book, John: what else can you or Gary tell us about it, as well as how it got to be lost (and found) in the first place?

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by grodog
    LOL. I was just going to ask for additional details about this book, John: what else can you or Gary tell us about it, as well as how it got to be lost (and found) in the first place?
    About all I can comment on is that the novel was on some old Mac + disks that JRT transferred to PC format for us some time back. When Erik Mona querried me about the Setne Inhetep fantasy mysteries, I mentioned it as being set in the same alternate earth as are those yarns. Erik said to send him a copy, so I did.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Well, this was originally going to be published during the time Mythus was in print. When the lawsuit between GDW, Gary, and TSR settled out of court, I guess publishing this got put on the back burner. The protagonists will probably remind people of Gord and Chert, and their adventures are similar (although a little more Setne-like), but there are important differences in them.

Also, it became "lost" because a lot of Gary's writing from the early 90s was done on an old Macintosh Plus. It used either 400K or 800k disks. When Gary's Mac+ died and he switched to a PC, a lot of his writings for the time were lost on those disks--even programs like MacOpener can't physically open the low density MAC disks. I volunteered to copy the disks but the low-density format would not work on a PC. A few years back I acquired an old Mac from a friend with a Hard Disk that could read low and high Mac floppies and had a hard disk. I was then able to copy Gary's files to the HD, copy them back to 1.44 MB floppies, put them on PC and convert the files to the most up-to-date MS-Word for Windows.

He still has disks that need converting. We're still looking for a Lanhkmar Story Gary did featuring an adventure that Ningauble of the Seven Eyes and Sheelba of the Eyeless Face get into. I've got a handful here I haven't yet looked at, and Gary still has more somewhere.

We better get that done by 2010 or so. PC's are starting to lose the floppy disks completely now, if we wait more than a few years I think things like this can get lost like the Library of Alexandria. When people talk about obsolete electronic media they mean it!
    Last edited by JohnRTroy; Friday, 18th January, 2008 at 05:27 PM.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRTroy
    We better get that done by 2010 or so. PC's are starting to lose the floppy disks completely now, if we wait more than a few years I think things like this can get lost like the Library of Alexandria. When people talk about obsolete electronic media they mean it!
    Interesting. I know from personal experience what a pain this stuff can be. I'm moving today, and one of the preparatory steps was to finally move all the AOL-format emails of the email based campaign I've been running since 1999 onto Word format. Worse yet, the AOL-format mails have been on a Mac, so the closest I've gotten is Word for Mac X. Hopefully, that can be opened in Word 2007 on my PC and converted once and for all to a "real format".

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore grodog
    I've run into similar issues with many of my old campaign articles: they're all on 5.25" floppies formatted to a Commodore 128 word processing program that I forget the name of. In my case, I have printouts of most of the content, probably, so I'm a bit less concerned, but I would still like to inventory and transfer the floppies sometime....

I'm glad to hear that Gary's found this ms., and hope you'll find other lost goodies as well. Is there a chance that there's anything interesting from NIPI on those CDs?

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by grodog
    I've run into similar issues with many of my old campaign articles: they're all on 5.25" floppies formatted to a Commodore 128 word processing program that I forget the name of. In my case, I have printouts of most of the content, probably, so I'm a bit less concerned, but I would still like to inventory and transfer the floppies sometime....

I'm glad to hear that Gary's found this ms., and hope you'll find other lost goodies as well. Is there a chance that there's anything interesting from NIPI on those CDs?
    Nothing from New Infinities. All of the files are post that time IIRR. What I am anxious about is a complete Setne Inhetep novel that was the first of a new action-adventure trilogy I planned and the long short story JTR mentioned featuring Ning' and Sheelba I wrote for a Fritz Leiber-tribute anthology that Ed Kramer was overseeing and editing.

Cheers,
    Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 151 of 161 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... LastLast