Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 153

What's on your mind?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by noffham
    Hola Gary!

I see you are planning on Lake Geneva con this year. Any chance you will return to Gen Con??
    Troll Lord Games sponsors the Lake Geneva Gaming Convention as well as the Winterdark event here each January.

I do not have any current plan to attend GenCon.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    I just read Andre Norton and Jean Rabe's "Return to Quag Keep", with an intro by our fearless Colonel. My summary of the intro is: "So Andre wanted to write this book, and I said OK, and she did."

I like the book.

I have three questions, for Gary and his fans hereabout:
    1) One of the characters is a gamer from Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, who is vaguely aware that "Gary something" is from there, and invented the game. Gary, are you a local celebrity in Lake Geneva, or not? That is, do locals know who you are? I'm guessing not, and I'm guessing you probably like it that way.
    I doubt that more than a quarter of the people living here, if that, know anything about me.

You are correct about my lack of desire for noteriety...or local fame.

2) Having never read the original Quag Keep, is this meant to be a location on Lake Quag in Perrenland? I assume so. Does it have anything to do with the Exag location in the last issues of Dungeon in the same area? I may have to look that up.
    Only Andre could have supplied an to your question.

3) At one point, there's a view of the magical areas on (regular) Earth. These include, naturally, some place in Wisconsin but also some place near Chicago. I assume the latter might be the Comeback Inn, which supposedly inspired Dave Arneson's first scene in his first game. Anybody remember where the (now defunct) Comeback Inn was located? Or is there some other ubersignificance to Chicagoland that I'm missing?
    Again, Ms. Niorton wrote the novel based loosely on the D&D gamne and WoG setting, going so without giving me the benefit of her thinking in any regard other than the completed work.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Ther nature of a villian rests wholly within the scope of a particular story--or actual historical record.

I tend to favor the egocentric, self-seeking sort that uses whatever means they can to gain what they desire. An overbearing attitude of superiority might be added. A cruel and trecherous nature is also likely a feature of such a figure. This sort of villian is likely to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Cheers,
    Gary
    So you prefer villain type number two. Well, that's pretty much how I envision a typical red dragon, just red-scaled, clawed, fanged, fire-breathing, magic using and the size of jumbo jet. Red dragons are basically Gordon Gekko with the looks and physical abilities of Smaug and the magical power of Vance's most accomplished wizards. They'd love a world like ours. The SEC would need tanks and anti-aircraft missiles to arrest one of them.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    My communities:

I doubt that more than a quarter of the people living here, if that, know anything about me.

You are correct about my lack of desire for noteriety...or local fame.
    Thanks for answering my questions, Gary.

Here's wishing you a calm life with fun but no noteriety.

So this is the Q&A, I was originally referred to.

Hey, this joint looks familiar....

GENE WEIGEL'S DUNGEON has withered away...

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore francisca
    My communities:

Just a typo there. My original spelling was Tsojcanth, a name I made up to sound exotic even in the WoG context.

Chaario,
    Gary
    HA HA HA HA!!!!

Grognards all about the net were speculating about this apocryphal John Scott fellow! See the results of your puns and anagrams!

Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Blog Entries
    D&DDoctor WhoI Defended The Walls!

Ignore MerricB
    G'day, Gary!

I hope you're well.

I had the pleasure of playing one of Tom Wham's self-published boardgames recently: Battling Space Ships. I found it a fun experience, though the game's mechanics didn't quite work with 5 players: we all created complete spaceships too soon and didn't do enough battling!

I was not particularly surprised to see your name in the list of playtester credits. I was just wondering if you remembered anything of your experiences with the game.

Oh, the friend who introduced me to the game, Mike Rowlatt, has had the good fortune of playing boardgames with both you and Tom on one of his visits to the US. You may not remember him, but I'll include a picture of him just in case:
    http://www.enworld.org/attachment.ph...id=31632&stc=1
    Mike's on the left; I'm on the right. Our friend Craig is between.

(Unfortunately, I neglected to take a picture of Mike playing Battling Space Ships. )

Cheers!
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Blog - a blog about gaming | Now on Twitter!
    Reviews of classic D&D adventures
    Visualising Combat in Dungeons & Dragons | Stealth in 5E | List of 5E Adventures
    Merric's Law of Miniatures: Non-Random Packaging, Cheap Prices, and a Large Range of Figures: Choose two.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Thanks for answering my questions, Gary.

Here's wishing you a calm life with fun but no noteriety.

Some years back I was twice mistaken for Gerry Garcia--here in Lake Geneva and in Galena, IL.

I have been recognized by name when traveling a few times.

That's it.

Cheerio,Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Howdy Merric,

It has been some time since we played Tom Wham's Battling Spaceships game. I recall little of those games, save that I always went for multiple vessels and did fairly well...but no outstanding wins similar to those I have managed a number of times in Dragon Lairds playtests. That game is great fun for anywhere from three to seven players (with the special expansion that adds the Violet and Black dragons decks to the mix). I am looking forward to its publication--soon I hope.

Say hi to Mike for me. I sort of recollect his face as seen across a table.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore grodog
    My communities:

I have met Justin and spolen and written to him a few times in the past. I would very much like to be kept informed about any arrangements for reprinting Fritz's stories.
    Happy to

• Closed Thread
    Page 153 of 161 FirstFirst ... 53103143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161 LastLast