Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 155

What's on your mind?

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Griffith Dragonlake
    My communities:

Back in the OD&D days I think every referee I knew had a "lost world" somewhere in their campaign. And almost everyone I knew had watched King Kong and read various yarns by Edgar Rice Burroughs Pellucidar comes to mind. In fact, I think the players expected to eventually to find a lost world just as much as they expected Tolkeinesque tropes. Dinosuars + Tolkein?!? Sounds weird, I know but so long as the dinosaurs were in some hidden tropical valley or hollow earth it didn't seem at all incongruous.
    Autumn leaves
    Cast upon the water
    Waiting to return

This says Im a Character Player 90%, Storyteller 80%, Weekend Warrior 65%, Tactitian 65%
    This says Im an awful good paladin.
    The Magus my take on a Magical Medival Wizard using skills & feats for learning & casting spells as well as paying a price in Sanity Points.

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    I always assumed that the strange creatures in the D&D fantasy world were natives of another world. This is implicit in most folklore and fantasy alike. I simply did not elucidate that until I write the Mythus rules and detailed its world setting Aerth.
    Hi Colonel, it's been quite a while since I've posted to this forum and was just reading through what I had missed. You can tell from the quote, perhaps, that it's been some time since I visited this thread.

Anyway, I've seen you make comments like he above a few times before but I have a question as to how you envisioned this to work in your home campaign. Did you envision demi-humans, for example, being native to a parallel Prime Material Plane and immigrating to Oerth at some point? Was this immigration a one time occurance in the past or is it something that can still occur? Given the rather long life spans of some elves (e.g., Grey Elves) was it possible that some of these creatures who came to Oerth in the initial wave were still alive during the playing of your campaign? Lastly, did you have an idea about when the demi-humans (and other creatures) entered Oerth? (In the Greyhawk guide it lists 5050 S.D. as the date when humanoid mercenaries were first employed. Certainly such creatures were already on Oerth for some period before this.)

Sorry for the lengthy questions

Gray Mouser
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

"Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

The Suel Pantheon

Gary, I was just wondering how much input you gave to Len Lakofka when he wrote up the gods of the Suel Pantheon for publication in Dragon. Did he come up with everything and just use the names and areas on influence you provided in the Greyhawk guide or did you give him some general guidelines to follow (i.e., this god gets this special power, that one has the abilities of these classes, etc.)?

Thanks,

Gray Mouser

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore heirodule
    My communities:

When you wrote up encounters with Orcs, goblins, etc, that included noncom females and infants, did you expect the Good PCs to put them to the sword, let them go, or have a moral dilemma?

What did they tend to do?

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Nagora
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Hi Colonel, it's been quite a while since I've posted to this forum and was just reading through what I had missed. You can tell from the quote, perhaps, that it's been some time since I visited this thread.

Anyway, I've seen you make comments like he above a few times before but I have a question as to how you envisioned this to work in your home campaign. Did you envision demi-humans, for example, being native to a parallel Prime Material Plane and immigrating to Oerth at some point? Was this immigration a one time occurance in the past or is it something that can still occur? Given the rather long life spans of some elves (e.g., Grey Elves) was it possible that some of these creatures who came to Oerth in the initial wave were still alive during the playing of your campaign? Lastly, did you have an idea about when the demi-humans (and other creatures) entered Oerth? (In the Greyhawk guide it lists 5050 S.D. as the date when humanoid mercenaries were first employed. Certainly such creatures were already on Oerth for some period before this.)

Gray Mouser
    I'm not sure if it's etiquette to jump in with something like this, but the same comment got me thinking and the article at this link is an early draft (with speling mistoks) of something that may be going into the next FootPrints from the Dragonsfoot guys. I took Gary's comment and RAN with it! Any feedback would be welcome (especially if positive )

Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    As a lad I was iaken often to the Field Museum in Chicago, and my favorite exhibits were the fighting bull elephants, the many rooms with cases of sruffed wild animals, the bronzes of the African tribesmen spearing a pair of lions, the Egyptology area in the basement, and the dinosaurs up on the second floor.

The museum sold metal miniature models of several species of dinos, in a scale smaller than HO (about 12 feet to the inch), and I had a T tex and a triceratops when I was about five years old. Those two had many a battle for my entertainent!

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh

Gray Mouser
    The long questions can be answered with a short response,

How the non-human races came to Oerth was never a question in my campaign.

I had a vague notion about large gates being common in past millenia, these inter-world portals gradually decreasing in size and eventually virtually disappearing, the deities of Oerth being responsible for that.

So such gates brought the great variety of life forms to the world--along with some magical laborators monster creations of course.

In the Lejendary Adventure game's Lejendary Earth world setting all of that is basically attributed to the great wizards of Learth's lost ages.

Cheers,
    gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Gary, I was just wondering how much input you gave to Len Lakofka when he wrote up the gods of the Suel Pantheon for publication in Dragon. Did he come up with everything and just use the names and areas on influence you provided in the Greyhawk guide or did you give him some general guidelines to follow (i.e., this god gets this special power, that one has the abilities of these classes, etc.)?

Thanks,

Gray Mouser
    Len deserves the lion's share of the credit, and blame if any, for the Suel deities. I simply did a bit of editing of his work.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by heirodule
    When you wrote up encounters with Orcs, goblins, etc, that included noncom females and infants, did you expect the Good PCs to put them to the sword, let them go, or have a moral dilemma?

What did they tend to do?
    I expected the DM to decide how to handle such a situation, of course.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    The long questions can be answered with a short response,

How the non-human races came to Oerth was never a question in my campaign.

I had a vague notion about large gates being common in past millenia, these inter-world portals gradually decreasing in size and eventually virtually disappearing, the deities of Oerth being responsible for that.
    Very interesting, Colonel. If the deities of Oerth were responsible for closing the gates that may explain why there were no demihuman deities included in the WoGH. Except, of course, for Raxivort. Hmmm. Maybe not. :?

So such gates brought the great variety of life forms to the world--along with some magical laborators monster creations of course.

In the Lejendary Adventure game's Lejendary Earth world setting all of that is basically attributed to the great wizards of Learth's lost ages.

Cheers,
    gary
    SOunds like Learth's old time mages could give those of the Bakluni and Suel a run for their money, even with the Invoked Devastation and Rain of Colorless Fire!

Gray Mouser

• Closed Thread
    Page 155 of 161 FirstFirst ... 55105145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161 LastLast