Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 156





  1. #1551
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Len deserves the lion's share of the credit, and blame if any, for the Suel deities. I simply did a bit of editing of his work.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    Kudos to him, then, as I greatly enjoyed the series on the Suel pantheon. I did find some of them to be a bit on the good side considering the description of the Suel old-timers in thne WoGH, but they are an interesting group, all in all. While Olidammara is one of my favorites Norebo certainly ranks up there, as well

    Now, if I recall correctly, the Suel pantheon series came out after the release of the Greyhawk boxed set. I think you'd mentioned before that you had hoped to detail more of Oerth so I was wondering if there were there plans to revise the box set with the inclusion of these deities, or did you simply think they would make for an interesting series of articles in Dragon?

    Gray Mouser
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

    "Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

 

  • #1552
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagora
    I'm not sure if it's etiquette to jump in with something like this, but the same comment got me thinking and the article at this link is an early draft (with speling mistoks) of something that may be going into the next FootPrints from the Dragonsfoot guys. I took Gary's comment and RAN with it! Any feedback would be welcome (especially if positive )
    That's pretty good stuff, though I'd be tempted to make the various types of fey and demi-humans NON-natives. The only animals druids would regard as natural would be those organisms that exist in the real world, as well as giant and miniature versions thereof.

    IIRC, druids in the AD&D Players Handbook can be only human or half-elf. If elves are not native to the druids' world, then that would mean that the half-elven druids identify totally with their human half. But, IIRC, elves are allowed to be druids in Unearthed Arcana. That would throw a sticky wicket in my whole scheme.

  • #1553
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    IIRC, druids in the AD&D Players Handbook can be only human or half-elf. If elves are not native to the druids' world, then that would mean that the half-elven druids identify totally with their human half. But, IIRC, elves are allowed to be druids in Unearthed Arcana. That would throw a sticky wicket in my whole scheme.
    Halfling NPC's could also be Druids.

    You could say, however, that part of the reason these particular races (Elves and Halflings) entered Oerth (or whatever campaign world you were using) was their affinity for nature which may have been the same as that on their home plane.

    Gray Mouser
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

    "Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

  • #1554
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Nagora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    25
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Nagora
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Halfling NPC's could also be Druids.
    I had forgotten that. Well, there will be another draft.

    Getting back to Gary:

    Gary,
    I'm thinking about running an AD&D game for a pair of bright not-quite-12-year-olds (twins). Did you or TSR ever think about releasing scenarios/modules aimed specifically at pre-teens? Do you think it's something that would be useful? Is there any advice you would have? I know you've run a few games for young players.

  • #1555
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Very interesting, Colonel. If the deities of Oerth were responsible for closing the gates that may explain why there were no demihuman deities included in the WoGH. Except, of course, for Raxivort. Hmmm. Maybe not. :?



    SOunds like Learth's old time mages could give those of the Bakluni and Suel a run for their money, even with the Invoked Devastation and Rain of Colorless Fire!

    Gray Mouser
    Likely that. Although a few more of evil sort managed to find and pass through remaining gateways to Oerth.

    Yes, the ancient Adepts of Learth could and did end up devistating not only their reptillian former slave masters but their own empires.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #1556
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Kudos to him, then, as I greatly enjoyed the series on the Suel pantheon. I did find some of them to be a bit on the good side considering the description of the Suel old-timers in thne WoGH, but they are an interesting group, all in all. While Olidammara is one of my favorites Norebo certainly ranks up there, as well

    Now, if I recall correctly, the Suel pantheon series came out after the release of the Greyhawk boxed set. I think you'd mentioned before that you had hoped to detail more of Oerth so I was wondering if there were there plans to revise the box set with the inclusion of these deities, or did you simply think they would make for an interesting series of articles in Dragon?

    Gray Mouser


    As it happens Olidammara is a creation of my own that Len added to his pantheon.

    It is likely a revised and expanded boxed set for the WoG would have gone into the hopper had I remained in charge of the company after 1984.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #1557
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagora

    Getting back to Gary:

    Gary,
    I'm thinking about running an AD&D game for a pair of bright not-quite-12-year-olds (twins). Did you or TSR ever think about releasing scenarios/modules aimed specifically at pre-teens? Do you think it's something that would be useful? Is there any advice you would have? I know you've run a few games for young players.
    It was never contemplated to offer any lower level of module especially for younger players. As the core rules are not written for children, offering special modules for them would be rather pointless.

    The adventures for novice PCs were meant to supply the DM with material for a younger player audience. Otherwise the able DM is capable of modifying or creating special adventures for very young players.

    I believe the above answers all of questions.

    Cheerio,
    Gary

  • #1558
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh


    As it happens Olidammara is a creation of my own that Len added to his pantheon.
    Heh, well I actually was referring to Olidammara as one of my favorite gods in the WoGH boxed set. Norebo seems like a kindred deity from the Suel mythos as he is the god of Luck, Gambling and Risk while Olidammara is the god of Music, Revelry, Rougery and Wine (he getting two of life's three necessities: wine, women and song ). Both are also the patron of mant thieves. I didn't mean to imply that both were written up in Len's Suel pantheon articles, just Norebo. Sorry for any confusion being caused on my part!

    It is likely a revised and expanded boxed set for the WoG would have gone into the hopper had I remained in charge of the company after 1984.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    Of course.

    Well, in order not to be uncharitable let me just say that at least Castle Zagyg seems to be progressing

    Gray Mouser
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

    "Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

  • #1559
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser

    Well, in order not to be uncharitable let me just say that at least Castle Zagyg seems to be progressing

    Gray Mouser
    Thankee!

    In order to get to the castle and ruins I thought it best to establish a detailed environment and good-sized community for the setting. Thus Castle Zagyg Yggsburgh and the East Mark. Of course, detailing the big walled town by dividing it into quarters or districts, mappomg each and showing the buildings with encounter key numbers and text, giving a bit of color for the sector to assist the GM--and doing the same for the suburban communities--then seemed beneficial in order to give a really detailed urban area. To the best of my knowledge that has not been done previously.

    So as those 24 modules were in progress the similar detailing of the actual abandoned castle ruins and its subterranean levels went into high gear, basing the work on my previous castle ruins and dungeons developed and revised as my campaign matured...and PCs wreaked havoc in these places

    Detailing the latter is a project that requires a good deal of time, but this part of the whole project is also proceeding at a good pace.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #1560
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Halfling NPC's could also be Druids.

    You could say, however, that part of the reason these particular races (Elves and Halflings) entered Oerth (or whatever campaign world you were using) was their affinity for nature which may have been the same as that on their home plane.

    Gray Mouser
    I've long considered halflings to be short humans (Englishmen!) with big, hairy feet. I'd consider them to be natives of the campaign world.

  • Closed Thread
    Page 156 of 161 FirstFirst ... 56106146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX
      By Tuzenbach in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 2234
      Last Post: Friday, 14th September, 2007, 02:06 PM
    2. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI
      By Col_Pladoh in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 518
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th August, 2006, 09:30 PM
    3. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI
      By Col_Pladoh in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 518
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th August, 2006, 09:30 PM
    4. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X
      By Tuzenbach in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 484
      Last Post: Thursday, 6th July, 2006, 08:39 PM
    5. Gary Gygax Q&A: part VI
      By Ranes in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 216
      Last Post: Sunday, 4th April, 2004, 06:20 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •