Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 158

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore triplehex
    My communities:

Music

Gary,

Our group often uses music in conjunction with our games, to suggest atmosphere or theme, or to highlight a dramatic turn in the action. Did you and your players listen to music when gaming in the early days of D&D, and if so, what were some favorites?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by triplehex
    Gary,

Our group often uses music in conjunction with our games, to suggest atmosphere or theme, or to highlight a dramatic turn in the action. Did you and your players listen to music when gaming in the early days of D&D, and if so, what were some favorites?
    Actually it was all I could manage to keep the players from constantly chattering. Adding music to the commotion would have made DMing impossible. All of my groups have enjoyed a lot of socialization during play.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Nagora
    My communities:

Hi, Gary,
    Just got the East Mark and Yggsburgh sets. Very nicely done (and thank the Troll Lords for printing black text on white paper - something that's been going out of style in RPGs for the last decade or so); good to see a Darlene map again too.

I have one question at the moment: on pages 18-19 of the Yggsburg book the mayor's salary is listed as 15,000 plus a 10% share of civic profit whereas the councilors' income is listed as 240,000 and a 5% share. Is that really correct or has a zero wandered into the councilors' pay or out of the mayor's?

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore ghul
    My communities:

Hi Nagora,

I can help with this one, even though I'm not Gary. When Gary laid out the income and goods/service price lists in the Yggsburgh book, he did so using $ amounts that were supposed to be translated to gold piece equivalents. The editor made a few mistakes along the way, but we are presently addressing this in the Yggsburgh Town Expansion modules (Moat Gate and Town Halls District presently available). This includes revised price lists in the shops as well, should the GM wish to adopt Gary's suggested system in which the exchange rate is such: 1 gp = 50 sp = 500 cp.

Anyway, the mayor was presented by Gary as earning $300,000 per year, and each Council member earning $240,000. So, as you note, the editor did not exchange the $ amount for the gp amount.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Nagora
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by ghul
    Hi Nagora,

I can help with this one, even though I'm not Gary. When Gary laid out the income and goods/service price lists in the Yggsburgh book, he did so using $ amounts that were supposed to be translated to gold piece equivalents. The editor made a few mistakes along the way, but we are presently addressing this in the Yggsburgh Town Expansion modules (Moat Gate and Town Halls District presently available). This includes revised price lists in the shops as well, should the GM wish to adopt Gary's suggested system in which the exchange rate is such: 1 gp = 50 sp = 500 cp.

Anyway, the mayor was presented by Gary as earning $300,000 per year, and each Council member earning $240,000. So, as you note, the editor did not exchange the $ amount for the gp amount.
    Thanks for that; I had wondered about the gp:sp:cp ratio too but was going to use 1gp=20sp as per AD&D. 1:50 is fine too.

So: the Mayor's salary is correct and the councillors' should be 12,000, yes?

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Joseph Elric Smith
    My communities:

So where do we buy them? I was at the web site and didn't' see either of them offered
    thanks
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by ghul
    Hi Nagora,

Gygax is to Gaming what Kirby was to comics
    Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you
    http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    As for the monetary system, the Lejendary Adventure game-based $ one is so much easier than any one based on a gp that I am at a loss to know why TLG insisted on changing what I had used in the Castle Zagyg, Yggsburgh ms. Hire it is:

1 cp = $1
    1 sp = $10
    1 gp = $500

Call the coin types whatever you like. For example a cp might be called a a ducat and greater value coins referred to as 10 and 500 ducat pieces, or as florins and crowns.

The book in question is featured on the TLG website at this URL:

http://www.trolllord.com/newsite/zagyg/8050.html

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Saturday, 16th February, 2008 at 05:26 PM.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Joseph Elric Smith
    My communities:

Yes I have 2 copies of that and 2 copies of the east mark I was referring to the 2 modules Ghul had mentioned.
    I heartily recommend Any one should pick up the castle and the east mark as they are great supplements even if you don't use C&C For all you LA fans out there
    Ken
    Gygax is to Gaming what Kirby was to comics
    Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you
    http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Elric Smith
    Yes I have 2 copies of that and 2 copies of the east mark I was referring to the 2 modules Ghul had mentioned.
    I heartily recommend Any one should pick up the castle and the east mark as they are great supplements even if you don't use C&C For all you LA fans out there
    Ken
    The modules are found on the bottom right of this page:

http://www.trolllord.com/newsite/

All of the CZ setting material uses the C&C game system, but with such additions and revisions as I see fit to add to it for the setting, such as the $ monetary system, the added abilities, etc.

Cheers,
    Gary

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore ghul
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Nagora
    Thanks for that; I had wondered about the gp:sp:cp ratio too but was going to use 1gp=20sp as per AD&D. 1:50 is fine too.

So: the Mayor's salary is correct and the councillors' should be 12,000, yes?
    Yes, if you are saying $20 = 1 gp. See, the original editor for that volume exchanged Gary's $ system as $20 = 1 gp, $2 = 1 sp, $0.20 = 1 cp. That translates to the 3e method of 1 gp = 10 sp = 100 cp. Gary does not prefer this exchange (and FWIW, neither do I). So, as the 24 town modules are being releases, we are using the exchange rate he intended (1:50). Of course, any GM/DM/CK worth their salt can adjust price lists to match the standard of his or her campaign. Well, I hope you enjoy Gary's Yggsburgh and East Mark materials. Let us know if you use them in game play and how it works out.

Best,
    --Jeff T.

• Closed Thread
    Page 158 of 161 FirstFirst ... 58108148149150151152153154155156157158159160161 LastLast