Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 159

Closed Thread
Page 159 of 161 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 1606
    Colonel, I was recently reviewing the write up of the half-ogre that you did in Dragon and which Roger E. Moore expanded upon later. I was curious as to whether you had any half-ogre PC's in your campaign and, if you did, how they fared in play. I'd be especially interested in the reaction of NPCs when confronted by a half-ogre in a town setting, viz. the reaction of the inhabitants towards the PC.

While half-orc PCs are described as belonging to the 10% of those fellows tht can effectively pass for human I didn't see anything similar stated for the half-ogre. While they probably wouldn't be killed as quickly as a Drow PC I can't imagine half-ogres getting by for extended periods outside of somewhere such as Iuz or the Horned Society!

Thanks!

Gray Mouser
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

"Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore SuStel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    While half-orc PCs are described as belonging to the 10% of those fellows tht can effectively pass for human I didn't see anything similar stated for the half-ogre. While they probably wouldn't be killed as quickly as a Drow PC I can't imagine half-ogres getting by for extended periods outside of somewhere such as Iuz or the Horned Society!
    While I can imagine those human-looking half-orcs keeping a low profile, half-ogres obviously can't do that. Where they don't blend it, they probably use intimidation instead.

"I don' care if I ain't got no tie. Yer gonna let me eat here, or I'm gonna pound yer head in."

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore rossik
    hi gary, long time i dont write here, but its always a pleasure talk to you.

im trying to translate some information about my favorite adventures to portuguese (my native language), and while writing about tomb of horrors, i foundo something about acererak being a student of vecna.

this wasnt planed by you, was it?

wish you the best, as always
    "As I created them, there are absolutely no good Drow save for the insane." (Gary Gygax, EN World, 2007)

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Colonel, I was recently reviewing the write up of the half-ogre that you did in Dragon and which Roger E. Moore expanded upon later. I was curious as to whether you had any half-ogre PC's in your campaign and, if you did, how they fared in play. I'd be especially interested in the reaction of NPCs when confronted by a half-ogre in a town setting, viz. the reaction of the inhabitants towards the PC.

Thanks!

Gray Mouser
    The idea of half-ogres is one to which I no longer subscribe. About as close to a half-ogre in my campaign was a PC's henchman ogre that was bitten by a werebear. The resulting transformed NPC creatiure was of an alignment quite opposite that of the ogre--and his master, Terrik, as well.

Your observation regarding the viability of a half-ogre character in a human or demi-human community is quite apt.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by rossik
    hi gary, long time i dont write here, but its always a pleasure talk to you.

im trying to translate some information about my favorite adventures to portuguese (my native language), and while writing about tomb of horrors, i foundo something about acererak being a student of vecna.

this wasnt planed by you, was it?

wish you the best, as always
    As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no connection between Acererak and Vecna!

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    The idea of half-ogres is one to which I no longer subscribe.
    Well, to be honest i seemed from your original article that you weren't overly thrilled with the idea in the first place Roger E. Moore attempted to make a stronger case for their viability, although IMHO when you place their strengths next to their weaknesses you get a racial choice that probably be best as an NPC henchman (or perhaps even as a mercenary hireling).

About as close to a half-ogre in my campaign was a PC's henchman ogre that was bitten by a werebear. The resulting transformed NPC creatiure was of an alignment quite opposite that of the ogre--and his master, Terrik, as well.
    LOL I think I recall you mentioning this before either here or on another board. I almostfeel sorry for the ogre as the resulting lycanthrope would result in one ugly bear, to say nothing of the alignment shift

Your observation regarding the viability of a half-ogre character in a human or demi-human community is quite apt.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thanks, Colonel. While I'm for suspension of disbelief in RPGs I try to at least keep an interior consistency when playing. If ogres are evil by nature and the avergae townsman saw some sort of freakish ogre half-bread I imagine the town guard would be called loooong before questions were asked.

Gray Mouser
    Last edited by Gray Mouser; Wednesday, 20th February, 2008 at 06:16 PM.
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

"Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore rossik
    As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no connection between Acererak and Vecna!

Cheers,
    Gary
    glad to read it

thanks gary
    "As I created them, there are absolutely no good Drow save for the insane." (Gary Gygax, EN World, 2007)

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Heh...

As a mater of fact, the only half-anything characters in my campaign were the human and either elf and orc ones. As I mentioned jokingly, would a half-halfling be a quartling?

While hafbreed characters can make for some interesting role-playing, the desire for them is generally instigated by some player seeking to gain an advantage through adding and playing such a mixed race character.

Cheers,
    Gary

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

Ignore Aeolius
    ...the desire for them is generally instigated by some player seeking to gain an advantage through adding and playing such a mixed race character.
    Or a DM seeking to breed hags with just about anything they can catch

Granted, 1e has its share, with alu-demons and cambions. I felt obligated to round them out with daemonic, diabolic, and demodand (hrmm... demodandy? ) counterparts.

And Nigel Findley's article, detailing greenhags as the daughters of night hags and annis as the daughters of greenhags, definitely helped shape my perception of the game. He passed away 13 years ago, as of yesterday, but his teachings live on.

Speaking of the "old days" I saw Darlene Pekul is auctioning off some of her 1e artwork at http://www.darlenetheartist.com
    My Games

Into the Land of Black Ice (retired) - An arctic PbP adventure in the mysterious frozen lands of Oerth
    Penance of the Damned (retired) - A planar chat-based game, set in Hades, where the PCs began as larvae
    Beneath the Pinnacles of Azor'alq (retired) - A mid-level PbP campaign set within the Dramidj Ocean
    Heirs of Turucambi - An entry-level chat-based game set within the waters of Turucambi Reef in the Oljatt Sea
    Nature of the Beast (in design) - A sylvan adventure where the adventurers are forest animals.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore SuStel
    As I mentioned jokingly, would a half-halfling be a quartling?
    Don't be silly! The offspring of a human and a halfling would obviously be a three-quarterling.

• Closed Thread
    Page 159 of 161 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 LastLast