Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 19

Closed Thread
Page 19 of 161 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Jupp
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Goose auf Deutsch ist ganse.

I do not know the nursery rhyme. Is it English?

Ghe-gox sounds a bit like ganse in the ending syllable.

the Gygax family armorial bearings are a green ground with a white goose facing dexter, a red star in canton and a buffalo horn. IIRR, the star and the horn were later additions for service and bravery.

Cheerio,
    Gary
    It's a Swiss-German children song, origin and age unknown, and unfortunately I do not know the full song. Also the mighty internet did not provide me with the complete lyrics. In this song the goose says "Gy-ga-gax". I think this comes more from a reference to the family crest than from the name itself. As you already said in an earlier post, the name Gygax could originate from the greek name for giant and that sounds a bit more realistic. Because as far as I know the old German/Swiss translation of goose is not Gygax,Gigax,Giegax or whatever but Gans, Gander, Ganter, Gs, etc. Another indication is, that the name Gygax itself is very untypical for a Swiss name, or for a German name in general. So the whole Greek story looks more plausible than the goose thingie. And I would rather want to be named after a giant than after a goose anyway
    "It is a mistake to bow to the wishes of munchkins who whine." - E. Gary Gygax 1938-2008, we will never forget you!
    "Yes, even at twelve years old, I was already old school... " - The Shaman
    "Look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious." - S.Hawking
    ----
    Currently DMing: Rappan Athuk, Kickstarter Version (set in Greyhawk, Castle&Crusade Rules)
    Currently Playing: nothing
    Last campaign: Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk (Castles & Crusades Ruleset)

In regards to the timeline for the WoG setting, I had no immediate plan for advancing it as the world was meant to be used by all DMs so desirous, each making it conform to his own campaign needs.

Any special changes added to the setting in "the future" would have been done in modular form so as to be optional.
    I know this wanders dangerously close to the speculative territory you are often wont to avoid, but I've wondered about this for a long time.

If you had remained in charge of TSR, how would this have worked in the long run? Would essentially the same boxed set have stayed in-print until today? It seems to me that most publishers find that keeping essentially the same product in-print for years is not feasible. Changes are made to justify printing a new, updated version of the setting.

Or perhaps I should merely ask what are your plans for Lejendary Earth in this regard.
    (^_^)

Anything I type is only my opinion unless explicitly stated otherwise, which should go without saying. Please assume that I've left out a smiley after every sentence. Thank you.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupp
    It's a Swiss-German children song, origin and age unknown, and unfortunately I do not know the full song. Also the mighty internet did not provide me with the complete lyrics. In this song the goose says "Gy-ga-gax". I think this comes more from a reference to the family crest than from the name itself. As you already said in an earlier post, the name Gygax could originate from the greek name for giant and that sounds a bit more realistic. Because as far as I know the old German/Swiss translation of goose is not Gygax,Gigax,Giegax or whatever but Gans, Gander, Ganter, Gs, etc. Another indication is, that the name Gygax itself is very untypical for a Swiss name, or for a German name in general. So the whole Greek story looks more plausible than the goose thingie. And I would rather want to be named after a giant than after a goose anyway

I will have to see if I can find the children's sone...although my German is very limited indeed, having sropped speaking it with Mumpsy when I was age seven.

There is a tribe of Albanians known and the Ghegs, giants, and someone has speculated that they might be descendants of Goliath's that stayed in Macedonia, moving only a bit westwards.

As for a goose, they are very alert and make good watchdogs...and are very nice well roasted

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by RFisher
    I know this wanders dangerously close to the speculative territory you are often wont to avoid, but I've wondered about this for a long time.

If you had remained in charge of TSR, how would this have worked in the long run? Would essentially the same boxed set have stayed in-print until today? It seems to me that most publishers find that keeping essentially the same product in-print for years is not feasible. Changes are made to justify printing a new, updated version of the setting.

Or perhaps I should merely ask what are your plans for Lejendary Earth in this regard.
    No problem!

I would indeed have kept a boxed intriductory set of the D&D game in print...just as the publishers of Monopoly have kept that game on the shelves. Also I would have consolidated the remainder of the D&D game into a large book as was done by TSR after I left.

As for AD&D, I planned to revise it and add skills. (See the C&C game for how I would have handled that.) Later editions would contain few changes--mainly corrections and minor additions to existing material.

The LA game is being revised, and the new edition will have a good deal more information, but virtually no rules changes, mainly more Orders, spells, magic items, and monsters. Monsters' attacks have been expanded to reflect greater realism in regards to the danger they pose. The books will also be hardbound. Along with that there will be supplemental books for the optional addition of shamanism and witchery, one dealing with the pantheons of deities, and then detail volumes for the Lejendary Earth world setting. Plenty of new and desirable material without having to huck endless revisions of the core material

Cheers,
    Gary

I would indeed have kept a boxed intriductory set of the D&D game in print...just as the publishers of Monopoly have kept that game on the shelves.
    I think Mr. Fisher was asking about the World of Greyhawk boxed set.

One would think that the boxed set could remain in print as a "bare-bones" guide to the campaign, then additional detail added through campaign gazetteers or through adventure modules.

About all I can say I enjoy of the contemporary famntasy/S&S writing is that of Glen Cook and Terry Pratchett. Donaldson I gave up on after about 50 pages.

I am now reading the original REH Conan stories, and that's about it, save for going back now and again to re-read Vance, Merritt, Farmer, etc. My main fiction persuits lately have been alternate history, historical novels such as the Shapre's series, and mystery stories. O am also now at work putting together a detailed outline of a new Gord the Rogue adventure novel, one set in the time period when he was a young rebel in Greyhawk. If my co-author is motivated by my material, and we find an interested publisher--likely Troll Lord Games as they are reprinting the other seven gord books in hardbound editions--we should have it done by the end of this year.

Cheerio,
    Gary
    Colonel,

I know you're not a big fan of JRRT, but I do have to recommend The Children of Hurin. Only 259 pages, and that includes the preface and introduction. It seems to me to be Tolkien's take on Greek tragedy set in a fantasy milieu. Without dropping any spoilers I have to just say that I got the last 1/3 (or so) of the book and thought, "OMG, no way!" Had to go back and reread a bit just to make sure I was following what was going on correctly

BTW, the book also fetures a damn cool talking sword. I'd have to think JRRT was a bit influenced by Michael Moorecock in this area if the story hadn't been written some time before the appearance of Stormbringer

As for your other comments, I have to completely argee with the necessity of rereading Jack Vance on a fairly regular basis. Rarely have I read an author whose prose I enjoyed so much. I also hope that the outline of the new Gord novel progresses apace. And don't forget to put in the appearance of Mordenkainen and Bigby! (Heh, I know, I know...)

Gray Mouser
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

"Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

I would indeed have kept a boxed intriductory set of the D&D game in print...just as the publishers of Monopoly have kept that game on the shelves.
    I think that's something that hurts D&D in the long run: Not having a single boxed set that is essentially unchanged from decade to decade (just like Monopoly). Having such a set, of course, would not preclude all kinds of additional D&D products for hard-core gamers. But only a small fraction of people want to essentially game full-time. But lots of people are amenable to an occasional 2-hour D&D game. That sort of casual gaming would be best served by a static boxed set with a short rulebook (say, 64 pages) that stays the same except to fix typos. That way people would always know how to play rather than having to digest 1,000-page "core" rules that change all the time.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Bog97th

Wish you where still in charge :)

Old school gamer her gary...I wish to express my anger over the canelations of bot h Dragon and Dungeon. I have posted my thoughts on many forms over the last few days and have written Hasbro and Pazio about this issue. Hope with some pressure they might change there minds. I don't think we have a chance at it but it's gotta be worth a try.

On the other side of the coin I wish to express my grattiude to you for helping start the most amazing gme I have ever played and will play.

Many a day has been put into creation of dungeons and the like. And many a ferious pizza has died by my 5" butter blade of death. And man I could have bought "Coke" for how much I bought of the little tiny cans of healing potion

I live and love the game I found back in 1981 and will continue to play it the way I envision it no matter what screwy crap Hasbro does to the retail side of the hobby.

Thank you again wise mage and may your Dragon live forever!

ps. some day I'd like to shake your hand. Let us know the next time you do an apperance in Chicago, I love that town! I live in Northern Michigan and I'm willing to travel there any time
    Bethin O Garit King of all the lands from your feet to the edge of the world.....

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by dcas
    I think Mr. Fisher was asking about the World of Greyhawk boxed set.

One would think that the boxed set could remain in print as a "bare-bones" guide to the campaign, then additional detail added through campaign gazetteers or through adventure modules.
    You are most likely correct, but what I said applies to the WoG as well as to the game per se. In truth I had plans to create material detailing the various states and major terrain features of the world setting, as well as completing the world with a second boxed set.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Urizen
    No problem!

I would indeed have kept a boxed intriductory set of the D&D game in print...just as the publishers of Monopoly have kept that game on the shelves. Also I would have consolidated the remainder of the D&D game into a large book as was done by TSR after I left.

As for AD&D, I planned to revise it and add skills. (See the C&C game for how I would have handled that.) Later editions would contain few changes--mainly corrections and minor additions to existing material.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Hiya Gary.

First, I just want to say thank you for bringing Dungeons and Dragons to the world. Your game has brought me so much enjoyment over the years. Honestly, the game has had such an impact on me that I don't know what my life would be like without it!

Have you seen the OSRIC system? This might strike you as silly, but, you mention things you would have done for AD&D, which makes me wonder if you had considered possibly doing a revamped version using the OSRIC game set?

OSRIC - for all intents and purposes - is the first edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

I for one would love to see what you would have done if you had gone forward with the revision.
    David Jarvis, Gun Metal Games

• Closed Thread
    Page 19 of 161 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast