Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 161 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    Gary, you should have waited until Friday to start thread #13!
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by thedungeondelver

OK Gary, it isn't like I yammer at you enough already but -

What's the worst "gotcha" your players have gotten you with when you're running the game?

There have been a few. In AD&D play I'll never forget how Jim Ward's mid-level PC fought a vampire, and forced it to dust-mote without ever being hit. When we were play-testing the Hall of Many Panes module John Siebel's PC reacted instantly to an NPC threat that should have slain several of the party so that the adversary was killed, the team unscathed.

Perhaos the funniest of recent times was the play in the LA game Dance of the Fairy Ring module. Alex's Avatar, Xagnar, was quite tough, had gotten a pair of "Duck's Wings" as a magic item. The team was at a slime pool after what treasure might be hidden there, not the slime drake that lurked therein guarding it. Xagnar went in; the drake pinned him down to the bottom with one foot. At the same time a Necrourge named Dirah played by Dennis Harsh, saw the drake's head emerge, leaped in and attacked with a long dagger. In three strikes, all of which bypassed protection, two inflicting 20 harm and gaining additional bonus damage as well, the drake was toast! Because the drake was distracted fighting for its life, Xagnar managed to take out his Duck's Wings, flap one in each hand, and thus escape the pinning claw. My only consolation was remarking on how silly Alex's Avatar looked when using those feathery objects.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Gary, I had mentioned your list of "recommended reading" in the 1e DMG on the previous Q&A thread. That list still gets discussed a lot, as it consists of a lot of the great fantasy and scifi authors and books of the first half of the twentieth century. I was wondering if you'd be inclined to share with us the books you'd include on an updated list? I know I'd be very interested in seeing what you thought were some of the most inspirational, in a D&D sense, books that you've read since the original list was composed.
    Howdy Colonel,

Short answer:

Frankly, I find very few new fantasy books in the general S&S vein worth reading. I do enjoy the "Diskworld" series, and Glen Cook's "Black Company" novels are appealing to me. Those are about all that spring to mind. The fiction I have been reading these days is mostly murder mystery (I loved the "Judge Dee" series), historical (such as Cornwell's various series), alternate history, and some re-reading of old fantasy & SF books.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    Gary, you should have waited until Friday to start thread #13!
    Blast!

Why didn't I think of that? :\

Gary

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    quite all right.
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore DreadArchon
    You could start a new thread Friday and secretly get rid of this one.

Edit: Woot! First page!
    Last edited by DreadArchon; Wednesday, 11th April, 2007 at 06:50 PM. Reason: First Page!
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthedm
    Uhm, 12, possibly 24 killed with one arrow? PHB2's penatrating shot is more like how I picture a rail gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Blast!

Why didn't I think of that? :\

Gary

The Thirteenth Thread on the Thirteenth day of the Thirteenth month* -

First post: how do we use those misprinted TSR calenders from 1983?

*Lousy Smarch weather!

BIG COLLABORATIVE DUNGEON PROJECT! SIGN UP AND ADD A ROOM!

http://www.thedelversdungeon.com/images/tdd1.gif

Parenthetically, photostat copies of the manuscript rules were made, and when the commercial game was published, fans not willing or financially unable to expend the princely sum of $10 for the product did likewise, copying the material on school (mainly college/university) machines. We were well aware of this, and many gamers who had spent their hard-earned money to buy the game were more irate than we were. In all, though, the 'pirate' material was more helpful that not. Many new fans were made by DMs who were using such copies to run their games. - Gary Gygax

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Wonderful weather considering global warming...

This has been the coldest April in a long time here in Wisconsin. We have about fourinches of snow, and the power was out for nearly an hour early this afternoon

Cheers,
    Gary

Wonderful weather considering global warming...

This has been the coldest April in a long time here in Wisconsin. We have about fourinches of snow, and the power was out for nearly an hour early this afternoon

Cheers,
    Gary

I still relate with horror the tale of arriving in Lake Geneva last June 16th and the outside temperature being 49F.

I know, I know, but see I'm from Florida. If it hits the 50's, I break out a sweater!
    BIG COLLABORATIVE DUNGEON PROJECT! SIGN UP AND ADD A ROOM!

http://www.thedelversdungeon.com/images/tdd1.gif

Parenthetically, photostat copies of the manuscript rules were made, and when the commercial game was published, fans not willing or financially unable to expend the princely sum of $10 for the product did likewise, copying the material on school (mainly college/university) machines. We were well aware of this, and many gamers who had spent their hard-earned money to buy the game were more irate than we were. In all, though, the 'pirate' material was more helpful that not. Many new fans were made by DMs who were using such copies to run their games. - Gary Gygax

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Gentlegamer
    Frankly, I find very few new fantasy books in the general S&S vein worth reading. I do enjoy the "Diskworld" series, and Glen Cook's "Black Company" novels are appealing to me. Those are about all that spring to mind.
    Probably because most fantasy books these days are in the "romantic fantasy" sub-genre. I'd rather read a "well-wrought tale" any day!
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

• Closed Thread
    Page 2 of 161 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast