Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 20

Closed Thread
Page 20 of 161 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 70 120 ... LastLast
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore SuStel
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    I think that's something that hurts D&D in the long run: Not having a single boxed set that is essentially unchanged from decade to decade (just like Monopoly).
    Has hurt. Has killed. The damage was done a long time ago.

As I see it, TSR's original plan (and much superior) was to produce games, not just to produce D&D. When you need to put out new product, you put out new games, not new revisions of the same game, and not endless supplemental materials for the same game.

Imagine if a company tried to be successful by selling nothing but Scrabble. Once everybody buys a copy, what else can you do to make money? Put out revised sets, put out expansions and aids... things nobody really needs to play Scrabble. This is what happened to TSR under You-Know-Who, and it's what's happening to Wizards of the Coast now.

Having such a set, of course, would not preclude all kinds of additional D&D products for hard-core gamers.
    Hard-core game buyers, you mean. There are plenty of hard-core gamers who buy one game and play it.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Ignore Shadeydm
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    In truth I had plans to create material detailing the various states and major terrain features of the world setting, as well as completing the world with a second boxed set.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Wow, I wish it had come to pass!

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Colonel,

I know you're not a big fan of JRRT, but I do have to recommend The Children of Hurin. Only 259 pages, and that includes the preface and introduction. It seems to me to be Tolkien's take on Greek tragedy set in a fantasy milieu. Without dropping any spoilers I have to just say that I got the last 1/3 (or so) of the book and thought, "OMG, no way!" Had to go back and reread a bit just to make sure I was following what was going on correctly

BTW, the book also fetures a damn cool talking sword. I'd have to think JRRT was a bit influenced by Michael Moorecock in this area if the story hadn't been written some time before the appearance of Stormbringer

As for your other comments, I have to completely argee with the necessity of rereading Jack Vance on a fairly regular basis. Rarely have I read an author whose prose I enjoyed so much. I also hope that the outline of the new Gord novel progresses apace. And don't forget to put in the appearance of Mordenkainen and Bigby! (Heh, I know, I know...)

Gray Mouser
    when i am out of reading material that I am excited about likely I will picj up The Children of Hurin. After all, I did really enjoy reading The Hobbit. Perhaps the "singing Sword" wielded by Prince Valiant was a source of inspiration for JRRT. Anyway, IIRR there are some talking swords in fairy tales. It has been decades since I read those of Andrew Lang where I think they appear.

As for Vance, how thoroughly I agree. His prose is so exceptional that reading it is a sheer joy. I recall how I lingered over Night Lamp, wishing it were 400 or more pages in length.

Because i have had too much other stuff to do today, I have made no further progress on the detailed outline for the new Gord novel, still only nine chapters set forth. I'll add one or two more today yet...with luck.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    I think that's something that hurts D&D in the long run: Not having a single boxed set that is essentially unchanged from decade to decade (just like Monopoly). Having such a set, of course, would not preclude all kinds of additional D&D products for hard-core gamers. But only a small fraction of people want to essentially game full-time. But lots of people are amenable to an occasional 2-hour D&D game. That sort of casual gaming would be best served by a static boxed set with a short rulebook (say, 64 pages) that stays the same except to fix typos. That way people would always know how to play rather than having to digest 1,000-page "core" rules that change all the time.
    Just so!

I urged Peter Adkison to reprint the D&D line, revise OAD&D a bit, and then produce a super new D&D line. Ah well...

Cheers,
    Gary

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore T. Foster
    Hi Gary,

There are a handful of references in your later-era AD&D writing to space travel -- in the description of Celestian in the WoG, in some notes in Dragon articles, and perhaps a reference or two in spell or item descriptions in UA -- that were never developed and I'm curious what you envisioned this aspect of the game being like. How, for instance, would the play-experience of traveling to different planets have differed from traveling to different planes? How would you have avoided a 'sci-fi' feeling (or is that something you would have embraced)? Was this notion inspired by Jack Vance's story "Morreion" (the same story that gave us IOUN stones)? How close would a Gygax "D&D in space" supplement have looked to TSR's "Spelljammer" ?
    "AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which can fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously." - Gary Gygax (DMG, 1979)

"There are people who regard the RPG as something more than an amusing game, more than a most entertaining hobby. They really do need to get a life" - Gary Gygax (EN World, 2004)

The Knights & Knaves Alehouse
    Monsters of Myth

Donaldson I gave up on after about 50 pages.
    Funny, I did the same when I first wanted to read the book. Then I gave it another go. Suffice to say that I was happy I did.

...In truth I had plans to create material detailing the various states and major terrain features of the world setting, as well as completing the world with a second boxed set.
    You know, with as many people having advanced science by leaps and bounds because of the inspirations of Star Trek, I wonder if we ever see the discovery of Parallel Universe Gateways in our lifetime because some gamer physicist wanted the GARY GYGAX WORLD OF OERTH boxed set...
    I am an OGL Warrior!

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Howdy Bog97th,

Do not blame Piazo for the cancellation of the two zines. Lisa Stevens has stated clearly that Piazo was eager to keep on publishing both of them.

If ever you wish to play a vital game that is in the same vein as OAD&D, have a look at the C&C RPG from Troll Lord Games. OTOH, if you are interested in exploring new approaches to S&S gaming, have a look at my Lejendary Adventure system. It is rules light, skill-bundle-based, has retained archetypes even with skills as the basis for character creation, is easy to learn despite being totally different from class-based FRPGs, and is fun to GM and to play. It too is being published primarily by the Trolls.

I don't travel much anymore, but there is the upcoming 3rd Lake Geneva Gaming convention here in mid-June, and we are only 70 miles northwest of Chicago. Also, i will be at GenCon this year.

Cheers,
    Gary

likely Troll Lord Games as they are reprinting the other seven gord books in hardbound editions--we should have it done by the end of this year.

Cheerio,
    Gary
    All 7 in hardback? WOOT!!!!!!

http://img99.exs.cx/img99/8577/yupi3ti.gif
    Hack & Slash gamer.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

GM's Day CMG

Ignore Mark CMG
    Also, i will be at GenCon this year.

Cheers,
    Gary

Huzzah!
    Fighting Fire - Ernie Gygax Relief Fund

Please, help boost the signal!

http://tinyurl.com/gygaxrelief

As always,
    Mark CMG
    CreativeMountainGames.com

• Closed Thread
    Page 20 of 161 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 70 120 ... LastLast