Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 22

What's on your mind?

Gallant (Lvl 3)

° Ignore dcas
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    when i am out of reading material that I am excited about likely I will picj up The Children of Hurin. After all, I did really enjoy reading The Hobbit.
    It is much more grim than The Hobbit. I would really like to recommend it to you (I just finished it this evening), but you've said that you don't like downers (although I do think that Turin is a much more noble character than Thomas Covenant).

The sword in question only speaks once.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Characters such as Elric, Shadow Jack, and Kugel are more interesting to me than painfully noble or pedantically distressed ones. Frankly, I thing the fantasy genre is for action and adventue, blood and thunder, swords and sorcery, not for some pot of message

Cheerio,
    Gary

What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

The Cleveland, OH area, but missing San Diego, CA

° Ignore ColonelHardisson
    My communities:

Gary, I know you said you don't have much use for fantasy fiction of the most recent couple of decades, but what about Gene Wolfe? His "Book of the New Sun" and "Wizard Knight" books, among others, are as good as anything I've ever read in the genre, bar none. If you haven't done so, I'd highly recommend putting "The Knight" and the "The Wizard" by Wolfe on your reading queue. At least give the editorial reviews synopsized at Amazon a glance and see if they pique your interest: http://www.amazon.com/Knight-Part-Wi...7777947&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Book-Tw...7777947&sr=8-1
    Last edited by ColonelHardisson; Saturday, 28th April, 2007 at 05:36 PM.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph Stilwell

Gallant (Lvl 3)

° Ignore dcas
    My communities:

Characters such as Elric, Shadow Jack, and Kugel are more interesting to me than painfully noble or pedantically distressed ones. Frankly, I thing the fantasy genre is for action and adventue, blood and thunder, swords and sorcery, not for some pot of message
    I do not mean that Turin is "painfully noble" or "pedantically distressed," only that he is a more noble and manly character than the leprous rapist Thomas Covenant. Of course Elric isn't "painfully noble," he's painfully ignoble.

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Gary, I know you said you don't have much use for fantasy fiction of the most recent couple of decades, but what about Gene Wolfe? His "Book of the New Sun" and "Wizard Knight" books, among others, are as good as anything I've ever read in the genre, bar none. If you haven't done so, I'd highly recommend putting "The Knight" and the "The Wizard" by Wolfe on your reading queue. At least give the editorial reviews synopsized at Amazon a glance and see if they pique your interest: http://www.amazon.com/Knight-Part-Wi...7777947&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Book-Tw...7777947&sr=8-1
    Well maybe I'll take a look, but the authors one reviewer compared him with were not at all the sort that I find entertaining, such as Ursula Le Guin.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by dcas
    I do not mean that Turin is "painfully noble" or "pedantically distressed," only that he is a more noble and manly character than the leprous rapist Thomas Covenant. Of course Elric isn't "painfully noble," he's painfully ignoble.
    I beg your pardon, but I do not find Elric painful in any respect...in the initial two books in the series in any case. He is, as far as I am concerned, the ultimate model for an anti-hero, much as is Zelazny's Shadow Jack.

Cheers,
    Gary

What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

My communities:

Well maybe I'll take a look, but the authors one reviewer compared him with were not at all the sort that I find entertaining, such as Ursula Le Guin.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Personally, I'd compare him to Jack Vance and Lord Dunsany. Those are the only two that immediately leap to mind. Ursula LeGuin...I don't see the resemblance.

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Personally, I'd compare him to Jack Vance and Lord Dunsany. Those are the only two that immediately leap to mind. Ursula LeGuin...I don't see the resemblance.
    Now you have my attention

Cheerio,
    Gary

What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

My communities:

Now you have my attention

Cheerio,
    Gary
    Good, good. Wolfe has a proficiency with the English language that reminds me very much of Dunsany. I'd say Wolfe's style is more difficult; densely worded, yet ultimately rewarding. He breathes new life into old words, the kind you'd enjoy seeing in use again, the kind that don't appear in newer dictionaries, but which fit the narrative perfectly. Where he reminds me of both Dunsany and Vance is in his settings, which are dreamlike yet somehow profoundly familiar. His work in general reminds me of Vance's "Dying Earth" stories. In my personal opinion, Wolfe, now in his mid 70s, is one of our greatest living writers. Here's a quote from Thomas Disch I found at Wikipedia, which I think nicely describes Wolfe:

"When asked the "Most overrated" and "Most underrated" authors, Thomas Disch identified Isaac Asimov and Gene Wolfe, respectively, writing: "...all too many have already gone into a decline after carrying home some trophies. The one exception is Gene Wolfe...Between 1980 and 1982 he published The Book of the New Sun, a tetralogy of couth, intelligence, and suavity that is also written in VistaVision with Dolby Sound. Imagine a Star Wars-style space opera penned by G. K. Chesterton in the throes of a religious conversion. Wolfe has continued in full diapason ever since, and a crossover success is long overdue.""
    Last edited by ColonelHardisson; Sunday, 29th April, 2007 at 02:05 AM.

Guide (Lvl 11)

° Ignore haakon1
    My communities:

The son of Odin and the earth goddess Jord, married to a giantess?
    About Thor in Stargate SG-1 . . . I don't think Thor ever talked about his family in Stargate, as he was born in a test-tube, being a clone of a clone of a clone, many thousands of years old but with a replacement body every once in a while, kinda like a Timelord, except it's always a copy (slowly degrading over the millenia) of their original body.

In the ancient past, Thor's race -- the Asgard -- protected humans, who were developing as an interesting race fitting into a prophecy among the Asgard of the rise of the "fifth race" of intelligent beings -- by a treaty with the bad guys, preventing them slaughtering Earthlings. They appeared to those humans as primitive humans themselves, to not frighten them. The humans thought of the bad guys are threatening giants or ettins (which is odd, since other humans thought of the bad guys as Egyptian gods or Aztec gods or even Chinese gods).

Anyhow, the Asgard's true form is aliens who are grey skinned, naked and without gender, about three feet tall, with large bulbous heads and all-pupil black eyes. They are known to UFOlogists as "greys". Why are they known in their true form at all? Why, an Asgard rogue scientist, named Loki, has been abducting humans for thousands of years to do strange experiments on them; he's been trying to solve the problem of copy of a copy degradation of the Asgard genome by studying human DNA and sexual reproduction. His experiments were banned by the Asgard High Council, but he started them up again in the 1940s or so . . .

The one thing they didn't explain is if Loki is responsible for cattle mutilation and crop circles, but I'm sure he is.

• Closed Thread
    Page 22 of 161 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast