Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 23

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 161 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 123 ... LastLast
    Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    The old Celtic areas of the UK still have some nationalistic movements in them indeed.

There were lots of Cornishmen in the lead mining area of southern Wisconsin, and that is indeed where the term "Badger State" came from. There are no actual badgers here.

My grandmother told me how the miners would take their pasties into the mine for lunch, warming them under their arm...

Yes, Onwall was inspired by Cornwall, Land's End and all that good stuff

Cheerio,
    Gary
    Underarm warmed pasties are probably better than cold pasties . . . I made the mistake of trying a pasty out of the fridge in the UK once. A congealed fat sandwich is not too tasty!

As for Land's End and Cornwall in general, it's as beautiful as you'd guess . . . I recommend checking it out if you visit the UK. But for you, Caernarvon Castle in Wales and Edinburgh Castle in Scotland would be higher priorities, if you haven't seen them yet.

The other castle I'd like to see someday is Krak de Chevaliers, but tourism to Syria doesn't seem wise at the moment.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    the Gygax family armorial bearings are a green ground with a white goose facing dexter, a red star in canton and a buffalo horn. IIRR, the star and the horn were later additions for service and bravery.
    Ah, so the Gygax family was from the County of Urnst, it would seem.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    I think that's something that hurts D&D in the long run: Not having a single boxed set that is essentially unchanged from decade to decade (just like Monopoly). Having such a set, of course, would not preclude all kinds of additional D&D products for hard-core gamers. But only a small fraction of people want to essentially game full-time. But lots of people are amenable to an occasional 2-hour D&D game. That sort of casual gaming would be best served by a static boxed set with a short rulebook (say, 64 pages) that stays the same except to fix typos. That way people would always know how to play rather than having to digest 1,000-page "core" rules that change all the time.
    You are so right. Even as a gamer who likes D&D far too much, I have to agree with that. For most of the players I know, rules changes and supplemental rules are a distraction, rather than adding to the fun. However, it would seem there are a small minority who wants new, additional rules every month, either because they like collecting new rules, or because they game for something like 4-6 hours, 4 times a month, and are jaded with traditional concepts, settings, and rules.

(By contrast, I love traditional settings and dislike new rules. I play in a game every 2-3 months, run a game about once every 3-4 months, and have been running a constant but very slow game over email since 1998 -- the highest level characters just hit 7th level after 6 months of game time/9 years of real life!)

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    The main moon of Oerth was a viable sphere, although none of my players ever made it there. Mars and Venus were likewise habitable ala ERB. Getting to those places was via portal or special spells that I never did manage to ger around to detailing.
    In 1998, TSR briefly revived Greyhawk. One of the first products they put out was an adventure by Roger Moore called "Return of the Eight". It was about penetrating Tenser's fortress on the Nyr Dyv to rescue him (his clone, actually). The final scene involved an old, old Greyhawk villain and too place on Luna, reached by a special gate. IIRC, Luna was a jungle-like environment, but I might be remembering my own spin on it.

Anyhow, it was pretty good. I think Roger Moore and Eric Mona were always respectful of the setting, its creator, and its fans, and I appreciated their rabid fandom on AOL even in the era when TSR was not publishing anything for Greyhawk (1993-1998?). Perhaps the unofficial Greyhawk underground will need to reemerge, with lose of Mona's Dungeon/Dragon editorship.

Avatars from different genres can indeed become at home in new settings.
    In moderation, that's one of the my favorite things to do.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Impressive ColonelHardisson...

But I hope Wolfe is easier to read than I found Chesterton to be.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Well, haakon1,

It seems as if the writers for that program not only do not know much about Egyptian mythology, but are also equally misinformed about the Norse, for Thor was of the Aesir race...

anyway, this reinforces why I shun the show, much as U do the new BBC production of Robin Hood. What a travesty!

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Underarm warmed pasties are probably better than cold pasties . . . I made the mistake of trying a pasty out of the fridge in the UK once. A congealed fat sandwich is not too tasty!

As for Land's End and Cornwall in general, it's as beautiful as you'd guess . . . I recommend checking it out if you visit the UK. But for you, Caernarvon Castle in Wales and Edinburgh Castle in Scotland would be higher priorities, if you haven't seen them yet.

The other castle I'd like to see someday is Krak de Chevaliers, but tourism to Syria doesn't seem wise at the moment.
    I have been to the UK quite a few times, but Bath is about as far west as I got. I do want to see Cornwall as well as the Vale of Belvoir, the Lakes Country, Wales, and Yorkshire...then cross over to Ireland.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Ah, so the Gygax family was from the County of Urnst, it would seem.

Actually, they borrowed the family armorial bearings because of their utter awe of the symbols depicted on that shield

Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1

Actually, they borrowed the family armorial bearings because of their utter awe of the symbols depicted on that shield

Gary
    Ah, I know that smile. That's the same smile I get when I realize my players are paying more attention than I thought.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Ah, I know that smile. That's the same smile I get when I realize my players are paying more attention than I thought.
    How about calling it a grin?

Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 23 of 161 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 123 ... LastLast