Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 161 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Frankly, I find very few new fantasy books in the general S&S vein worth reading.
    Me, too. Do you enjoy H. Rider Haggard novels? I've been relishing them of late. The sense of awe he can convey is almost religious in intensity.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Ignore Doug McCrae
    Gary, what were your inspirations for the D&D party? The small band of adventurers each with different, but equally useful, skills and abilities has been a very important concept in roleplaying games, yet it seems to have few analogues in fiction.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by thedungeondelver

I still relate with horror the tale of arriving in Lake Geneva last June 16th and the outside temperature being 49F.

I know, I know, but see I'm from Florida. If it hits the 50's, I break out a sweater!
    Heh, the kinfolk from Louisiana wore sweaters almost all the time when up here they missed the couple of weeks of truly hot weather we have with temps in the upper 80s and 90s--sometimes it has his 100 or 101--with very high humidity as well. That is comparable to FLorida's summer weather I am assured.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
    Probably because most fantasy books these days are in the "romantic fantasy" sub-genre. I'd rather read a "well-wrought tale" any day!
    That sort of writing is as appealing to me as a Victorian Romance novel...

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    Me, too. Do you enjoy H. Rider Haggard novels? I've been relishing them of late. The sense of awe he can convey is almost religious in intensity.
    I haven't read any of Haggard's books in many years, but I surely do like his writing. Alan Quartermain, She, King Solomon's Mines, Miawah's Revenge are all remembered with great fondness. I believe he write other stories as well, but I can not remember them, so if I recall rightly, they were not of the caliber of those I can call to mind.

Incidently, I saw an old B&W film, She, back around 1948, and it scared the daylights out of me as I was only age 10. the Amahagar (sp.?) dropped red-hot pots over the heads of their human victims, and when She Who Must be Obeyed bathed in the ray a second time the decay was most horrifying for a youngster

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug McCrae
    Gary, what were your inspirations for the D&D party? The small band of adventurers each with different, but equally useful, skills and abilities has been a very important concept in roleplaying games, yet it seems to have few analogues in fiction.
    Indeed, as far as I know there are no literary parallels of the FRPG adventuring party. My insporation was from wargaming, the mix of arms on the battlefield. Infantry = fighter, rangers/spoes = thief; medical/priest = cleric, artillery/engineers = magic-user.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Indeed, as far as I know there are no literary parallels of the FRPG adventuring party.
    The Fellowship of the Ring?

Not saying it was necessarily an inspiration, since I know you are not inordinately fond of Professor Tolkien's work; but the members of the Fellowship have, until their break-up, pretty clear roles as party members.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by dcas
    The Fellowship of the Ring?

Not saying it was necessarily an inspiration, since I know you are not inordinately fond of Professor Tolkien's work; but the members of the Fellowship have, until their break-up, pretty clear roles as party members.
    Sorry, but there isn't a spell-caster amongst the lot.

Cheers,
    Gary

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Gentlegamer
    Sorry, but there isn't a spell-caster amongst the lot.
    I know Gandalf's magic is apparently weak compared to D&D magic, but surely he is a spell-caster!
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
    I know Gandalf's magic is apparently weak compared to D&D magic, but surely he is a spell-caster!
    Nary a cleric nor an illusionist, and Gandalf doesn't cast a truly potent spell on behalf of the party, so I'll stick by my statement

Cheerio,
    Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 3 of 161 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast