Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 54

What's on your mind?

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore thedungeondelver
    My communities:

Let me just say that Gary and Gail are excellent hosts. Enjoy the rest of that wine Gary (remember, it's best with pizza so the sweetness isn't an issue ). Failing that, cook with it.

Colleen and I had a lot of fun this past week/weekend, Lake Geneva is a beautiful area, and we look forward to coming back sometime.

Three cheers to the Troll Lords for putting this thing together, three groans to me for letting five charactes out of C1 alive!

BIG COLLABORATIVE DUNGEON PROJECT! SIGN UP AND ADD A ROOM!

http://www.thedelversdungeon.com/images/tdd1.gif

Parenthetically, photostat copies of the manuscript rules were made, and when the commercial game was published, fans not willing or financially unable to expend the princely sum of $10 for the product did likewise, copying the material on school (mainly college/university) machines. We were well aware of this, and many gamers who had spent their hard-earned money to buy the game were more irate than we were. In all, though, the 'pirate' material was more helpful that not. Many new fans were made by DMs who were using such copies to run their games. - Gary Gygax

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore francisca
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by thedungeondelver

Three cheers to the Troll Lords for putting this thing together, three groans to me for letting five charactes out of C1 alive!

Well, that's not totally your fault, we didn't get a chance to finish it, did we?

LGGC3 was a blast! Played Chainmail and successfully helped to defend the Moathouse (yes -- that one. I now know how the moathouse in T1/T1-4 got ruined) from the forces of good long enough for the Dark Lord to effect an escape. Played the above mentioned C1 w/ thedungeondelver as DM -- he's not only a great DM, who runs AD&D in a traditionally excellent way, he is a great guy as well. Tim Kask ran a great game of Circvs Maximvs for 10 n00bs. We had a great time, with the whole crowd still going crazy about the game at 2:30AM.

Finally, I'd like to thank Gary for signing my DMG and PHB, and the chit chat we had on saturday before you took off for your LA game. It was very nice to finally meet you and I enjoyed our conversation.

Pictures of the Moathouse Defense and the Circvs Maximvs game can be found here.

Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Welcome fellows

We, and I mean wife Gail and I, enjoy hosting gamers as they are a good lot and good guests. It is fun for all.

As I mentioned on another board, as a youngster I loved reading Leo Edwards series of boys' adventure books about "Jerry Todd" and "Poppy Ott." They were written a couple of decades and more before i discovered and read the first of the stories, and when i got to the end where Mr. Edwards invites readers to drop in and have some cookies and lemonade prepared by his wife, I was sad that invitation had been made so l;ong ago. Otherwise, his residence being in Wisconsin, I'd have begged and cajoled my parents into a visit to the Edwards' home.

The upshot is that his generosity in this regard inspired me to pledge to be akin to him if ever I was in a position to do so.

BTW, next year Gail plans on smoking two turkeys for the affair, as the single bird set out this year was essentially devoured in the first hour of the event

Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    It is soooo easy to assume that C&C is AD&D

It is also very easy for my original material to be expressed in terms of the C&C game system...especially when someone edits the material to make it conform

Ciao,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Mycanid
    My communities:

Good morning (or afternoon where you are) my good sir!

Never mind me ... just dropping by to say hello.
    This says I am a Neutral Good Elven Monk. Hmm. Must be a monk from C&C....

Yet another convert to Castles and Crusades here ... and a fan of the modules from Goodman Games too.

http://www.sedessubrosa.com/extimages/rosa.jpg A rose by any other name would smell as sweet....

PC Specs
    Spoiler:
    Athlon X2 4600, 1gb dual channel 800mhz ddr RAM, 256mb 7600gs nVidia graphics card, Asus M2NBP-VM MoBo, DVD Burner, DVD Reader, 300gb Sata 2 hard drive, Antec Sonata case, 500gb external hard drive

Laptop: HP tx2-1020US tablet pc, Turion Ultra ZM-82, 4gb 667mhz ddr2 ram, 3200 ATI video card, 320 gb sata hard drive, DVD+RW, 12'1" screen.

MP3 Player: Creative Zen 8gb Flash Player

Palm: Tungsten E2 (16 hours of battery life - can't go wrong), and a wireless external keyboard

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore EvilPheemy
    My communities:

One of the things I remember about the stories surrounding the Greyhawk ruins was the epic consequences that occurred. The (unintentional?) release of Fraz'Urb'Luu and Graz'zt primarily. Though I've noticed that few of the old stories featured encounters with Dragons. Do you have any fondly-remembered dragon adversaries who matched wits with Bigby, Tenser, and company? I'd love to hear about them.
    If you want me, I'll be in my office fighting Nazis.
    Cole from the comic PvP

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycanid
    Good morning (or afternoon where you are) my good sir!

Never mind me ... just dropping by to say hello.
    The morel of that is a cheerful greeting is always welcome and appreciated

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilPheemy
    One of the things I remember about the stories surrounding the Greyhawk ruins was the epic consequences that occurred. The (unintentional?) release of Fraz'Urb'Luu and Graz'zt primarily. Though I've noticed that few of the old stories featured encounters with Dragons. Do you have any fondly-remembered dragon adversaries who matched wits with Bigby, Tenser, and company? I'd love to hear about them.
    Actually. very few dragons were encountered by my PC team. I suspect that was to keep them from gaining yet more magical goodies.

Mordenkainen and his henchmen managed to subdue and capture an ancient red dragon (that Rob named Ghorki in spite) and then a second very young one (that Rob named Phorki). Ghorki remained behind to guard the Citadel, but little Phorki often accompanied expeditions into the surrounding terrain to rid the area of undesirable elements...and take their stuff. Uncorking him from a "merchant's wagon" was an effective diversionary attack

The story of the two black dragons in the dungeons is well known. Not so widespread the tale of the young red dragon that had both spider climb and invisibility spells that used to ambush the unwary from the ceiling of his cave.

One day when I was feeling ornery, I had Robilar encounter an NPC that told him of a great red dragon sleeping on its horde of treasure, He volunteered to lead the way there for a slight reward, s apecial necklace he sought. When Robilar suspiciously agreed if the leather-clad fellow would lead the way, agreement was reached. Onve inside the cave, the thief slipped away into the shadows and vpoced a warning shout to awaken the firedrake. It did, and a battle royal ensued. Of course the thief was counting on the survivor being sufficiently weak to enable him to do him in so all the loot would be his. Robilar managed to exit the cave, lay in wait and slay the thief when he fled the place. The dragon remained unmolested thereafter.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Friday, 22nd June, 2007 at 10:35 PM.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore thedungeondelver
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    It is soooo easy to assume that C&C is AD&D

It is also very easy for my original material to be expressed in terms of the C&C game system...especially when someone edits the material to make it conform

Ciao,
    Gary

Gary, if you only knew.

BIG COLLABORATIVE DUNGEON PROJECT! SIGN UP AND ADD A ROOM!

http://www.thedelversdungeon.com/images/tdd1.gif

Parenthetically, photostat copies of the manuscript rules were made, and when the commercial game was published, fans not willing or financially unable to expend the princely sum of $10 for the product did likewise, copying the material on school (mainly college/university) machines. We were well aware of this, and many gamers who had spent their hard-earned money to buy the game were more irate than we were. In all, though, the 'pirate' material was more helpful that not. Many new fans were made by DMs who were using such copies to run their games. - Gary Gygax

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by thedungeondelver

Gary, if you only knew.

Now do not be taking liberties

Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 54 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104154 ... LastLast