Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XIII - Page 57

What's on your mind?

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Edena_of_Neith
    My communities:

Hey there, Mr. Gygax. Edena_of_Neith here.

I am made to understand you did not approve of the From the Ashes Boxed Set, and the destruction of the Flanaess that resulted in the Greyhawk Wars. Is this true?
    If you had decided to create a 'Greyhawk Wars' scenario, how would your 'Greyhawk Wars' have gone? (If they had gone at all ...) Would Acererak have become involved?

Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Edena_of_Neith
    Hey there, Mr. Gygax. Edena_of_Neith here.

I am made to understand you did not approve of the From the Ashes Boxed Set, and the destruction of the Flanaess that resulted in the Greyhawk Wars. Is this true?
    If you had decided to create a 'Greyhawk Wars' scenario, how would your 'Greyhawk Wars' have gone? (If they had gone at all ...) Would Acererak have become involved?

Decreeing major wars in the Flanaess would have been quite contrary to the design philosophy behind the WoG. It was a template for use by DMs to use in developing their own campaigns based in the milieu. The various alliances and hostilities were set forth, but where they went was meant for each DM to determine as suited his own creative application of the base information.

That said, I did indeed find the concept of FtA quite inappropriate, but typical of TSR at the time. Creatively speaking, I do not believe they could find their butt with both hands.

Cheers,
    Gary

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Edena_of_Neith
    My communities:

Let me ask this. I've always wondered about this, since I went through S1, the Tomb of Horrors, 20 years ago. (My character was the only survivor ... as usual, the infamous Tomb killed everyone or left one survivor to tell the tale as a warning to others ...)

What would have to happen to so provoke Acererak that he assumed full form, came out of the Tomb, and decided to wreak some havoc?

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Edena_of_Neith
    Let me ask this. I've always wondered about this, since I went through S1, the Tomb of Horrors, 20 years ago. (My character was the only survivor ... as usual, the infamous Tomb killed everyone or left one survivor to tell the tale as a warning to others ...)

What would have to happen to so provoke Acererak that he assumed full form, came out of the Tomb, and decided to wreak some havoc?
    As son Ernie has said, when Tenser saw the nature of the tomb he simply retired from it not caring to risk life and limb for whatever treasure it might hold.

Anyway, as far as I am comncerned, Acererak needed some great source of magical negative energy to return to regular lich state, be able to manage such a return to his former "glory."

Cheers,
    Gary

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Gentlegamer
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    As son Ernie has said, when Tenser saw the nature of the tomb he simply retired from it not caring to risk life and limb for whatever treasure it might hold.
    Was it Tenser or Robilar that scooped up as much treasure as possible from the demi-lich's vault into a bag of holding before teleporting away?
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Robilar did that deed, but he then beat feet, no teleporting spell involved. IIRR, he had rerpleaced his lost Boots of Flying with Boots of Speed

I was quite unprepared for such a dirty trick

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Moggthegob
    My communities:

Dear Gary,

My friends and I were discussing characters in greyhawk and a few interesting questions came up. If there were a World of Greyhawk movie, who would you have play Robilar, Tenser, and Mordenkainen. Or at very least what are good descriptions of what they look like.

Mogg the gob,
    Goblin Extraordinaire
    my characters: Zook Archizald : currently in Last Words

Mardigan d'Orien : currently unemployed

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Aegir
    Gary:

Having read through much of this thread, one thing strikes me over all others: to say you don't like direction D&D has gone would be an understatement. While I can understand your dislike, a question occurs to me: what is it YOU look for from a game?

What comes to mind for me is, 1/2E were far more rules-lite then the current incarnations, and perhaps your dislike stems from having the rules take some of the improvisation and imagination out of gaming, but thats just what comes to mind when I compare the two (mind you, I got into gaming very late in the life of 2E, so my understanding of the previous versions is pretty limited).

I suppose my question is: what is it you look for in a gaming experience that you feel 3E destroys?

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Moggthegob
    Dear Gary,

My friends and I were discussing characters in greyhawk and a few interesting questions came up. If there were a World of Greyhawk movie, who would you have play Robilar, Tenser, and Mordenkainen. Or at very least what are good descriptions of what they look like.

Mogg the gob,
    Goblin Extraordinaire
    Howdy,

As if WotC and Hasbro would consult me about such a thing. With that in mind, why would I spend any of my valuable time pondering such a question? That would be completely vaccous nethinks.

Being familiar with how motion pictures are made, such a decision would be up to the director and the casting people, so I would have no say in the matter even if I was a story consultant.

To the point, though, i have never thought about the matter, and I do not have any actors in mind. I wouldn't mind seeing Vin Deisel as Mordie, though. That's because he is a D&D fan, of course.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegir
    Gary:

Having read through much of this thread, one thing strikes me over all others: to say you don't like direction D&D has gone would be an understatement. While I can understand your dislike, a question occurs to me: what is it YOU look for from a game?

What comes to mind for me is, 1/2E were far more rules-lite then the current incarnations, and perhaps your dislike stems from having the rules take some of the improvisation and imagination out of gaming, but thats just what comes to mind when I compare the two (mind you, I got into gaming very late in the life of 2E, so my understanding of the previous versions is pretty limited).

I suppose my question is: what is it you look for in a gaming experience that you feel 3E destroys?
    Hi Aegir,

First, I do want to make it clear that I have no quarrel with those that love new D&D--or any other RPG, or no RPGs at all for that matter. What game is captivating to someone is a personal matter, and not one that is generally open to critical comment from anyone.

That said, you are on target ion regards to what sort of RPG I enjoy. If you take a look at my latest design, the Lejendary Adventure game, you will note that it is indeed rules light, very flexible, the mechanics can be and are applicable to other RPG genres, and the skill-bundle base allows for great freedom in creating PCs and NPCs that are a more accurate reflection of both fictitional figures and real people.

As a matter of fact I find I must continually fight against those that like the system but want to make it more cumbersome by adding "explanations," "examples," and "clarifying rules." Keeping it rules light is is not easy

Keeping imagination, innovation, and improvisation in play for all particiapants, allowiing and encouraging such freedom in the game, ain't all that easy. Maybe it's beacsue that means everyone must do more thinking and use more creativity.

In short, a comparison and contrast of new D&D with the LA game will provide a complete answer to your question. There is a free pdf download of the LA game Quickstart Rules on www.lejendary.com and at www.dragonsfoot.org is you care to go through that exercise.

Cheerio,
    Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 57 of 161 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107157 ... LastLast