Archers: no attack of opportunity when you full attack?

Vahktang

First Post
Seems to be:

Players, pg 141, table 8-2

So, when the archer only arches, looks like the monster doesn't get to AoO.
Interesting.

Guess you concentrate enough that they don't have a chance to hit you.

More later,

Vahktang

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The full attack action does not, in and of itself, provoke an AoO. However, 'attacking with a ranged weapon' is an example of a distracting action under Attacks of Opportunity: Performing a Distracting Act on PHB p137.

So if, in the course of a full attack action, you attack with a ranged weapon, you provoke an AoO... not for the full attack action, but for attacking with a ranged weapon. Just as if, in the course of an attack (melee) action, you attempt a disarm, you provoke an AoO... not for the attack (melee) action, but for the disarm.

-Hyp.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
I used that to my advantage one game.

There were 2 archers tearing up the party, with their 5-foot-step-full-attack, and the party was somewhat split on the battlefield to begin with. My Psychic Warrior just couldn't soften them up fast enough. So I moved between them with my long spear, after backing them close to a wall, popped Enlarge and ripped into the first one to pull a machine gun in range. The other one decided to switch to a sword instead. (we were around 6th level I think, which put me at one attack and the archers were rapid shotting 3 arrows at least)

(Though, longspear was definitely not the way to go with a PsyWar, as I found out repeatedly, and later abandoned him. About that time I got Book of Nine Swords as well. ;) )

At first, my DM didn't want to let me take all the AoOs, but I knew I was right in getting one per shot, not per full attack. He let me though that one time, and later agreed with me after rechecking the rules.

Felix

Explorer
Kommando said:
At first, my DM didn't want to let me take all the AoOs, but I knew I was right in getting one per shot, not per full attack.
As long as you've taken Combat Reflexes, of course.

William_2

First Post
SRD:
“Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.”

Even with combat reflexes, I wonder if additional ranged attacks as part of a full attack qualify as new opportunities for AOO. Based on the above, I would say not.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
William_2 said:
SRD:
“Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.”

Even with combat reflexes, I wonder if additional ranged attacks as part of a full attack qualify as new opportunities for AOO. Based on the above, I would say not.

In what way does making a ranged attack constitute moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round?

-Hyp.

William_2

First Post
Yes, sorry, by “based on the above”, I did not mean that they were the same. I meant I based a conclusion on the only relevant information I could find. Specifically, if additional moving does not trigger extra AOO, I suspect that further attacks don’t trigger extra opportunities for the same opponent. It is just a hypothesis, though, which is clearly indicated. I’d be interested in what other people would do with that situation, or whether there are rules that clarify it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
William_2 said:
I meant I based a conclusion on the only relevant information I could find.

Based on the same relevant information, I draw the opposite conclusion.

1. If the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity).

2. Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.

3. Attacking with a ranged weapon provokes an attack of opportunity.

So, if an opponent attacks with a ranged weapon more than once, he provokes two AoOs from you, and you could make two separate attacks... since the two attacks do not represent moving out of more than one square, and thus are not covered by the "doesn't count as more than one" clause.

I’d be interested in... whether there are rules that clarify it.

"If the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity)."

-Hyp.

Aelf

First Post
I also agree that multiple ranged attacks in an area you threaten = multiple AoOs (assuming Combat Reflexes, of course)

Consider an opponent who full attacks and makes two disarm attempts (without Improved Disarm) They would certainly provoke 2 AoOs ...

Egres

First Post
Funny.

I'm having a similar debate elsewhere, and my interlocutor is convinced that ranged attacks via full attack don't provoke, since the Action in Combat table speaks specifically of ranged attacks made via standard action.

Remove ads