Recommend me a mega-module or adventure path.

Reynard

Legend
I am considering running Expedition to Demonweb for my group, but before I do any purchasing I wanted to check here and see what other mega-modules get the thumbs up from ENWorlders. We play about monthly for 6 to 8 hours and want something that will last a year. The mid-level sweet spot (5th to 12th ish) is preferable, and the less railroady, the better.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It doesn't have to be WotC or Paizo. If it is good, 3.5 compatable, and doesn't require a huge investment in setting material, it's worth mentioning.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
I'm running a somewhat higher-than-average level group through Rappan Athuk Reloaded...and that module rocks pretty hardcore.

We started World's Largest Dungeon and loved it, but we'd started it as a pick-up game....without the time investment necessary for something that freakin' big we've had to drop it, but with the idea that we WILL get back to it as a center-piece campaign. It's also easy to pull the dungeon apart into separate areas to use as one-off or smaller dungeons.

I've heard a lot of good about Shackled City, but haven't gotten to it myself.

I've read the Red Hand of Doom and -- although somewhat smaller than a typical "super-module" -- there is enough setting and background info in there for a campaign. Toss in a couple lower-level adventures from Dungeon or some other generic source and you've easily got enough material for a good long time.

Although separate adventures, the Dungeon Crawl Classics line by Goodman Games has a few paths where you can put a bunch of the adventures together to get a good campaign. I've a few of the DCC modules and they are so far excellent and easily adaptable.

I had Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, and found it pretty boring and unbelievable, story-wise, but that's just me. It's out of print, so not sure if it's even an option for you.

Ummmm, that's all I got. My group mostly does all-original stories, but we've worked in outside adventures, and are starting to find the time-investment requires us to use pre-made stuff more and more. Let me know what you choose, and what you're experiences are!

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I've always been partial to Mere of Dead Men 2nd Edition 'AP' found in the pages of Dungeon Magazine. Can't remember the issues right now though. :\

Last edited:

Odhanan

Adventurer
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is really cool and isn't railroady if you choose to make the most out of it.

The Banewarrens is a mix between straight dungeon crawling and urban adventure, with several groups in and out of the place the PCs have to deal with one way or another. Great adventure.

The Shackled City AP is the whole package. Level 1-20, an entire campaign with some sweet epic adventuring. Good variation of locales and situations the PCs confront. Great stuff.

Rappan Athuk Reloaded is really good too, a "mother of all dungeons" with an old school survival feel to it. Creepy, deadly, for groups who are smart and inventive enough, and who can manage dungeon crawling with flair and intelligence. If they don't like that kind of stuff, or just remain passive in front of the immensity of the task in a "open the door, kill, loot, repeat" fashion, your campaign will die in the water.

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and its predecessor, T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil (for AD&D, but great enough to be mentioned here), are both great modules for DMs who use them to fit their character groups and aren't afraid to shake things up/improvise once in a while (like any dungeon crawl, I'd say). They work best as long-winded introductions to the game. They're both challenges in terms of survival of the PCs, and are now classics among the mega-modules. Both are hard to find, though.

Last edited:

PaulKemp

First Post
We played through the first third of Shackled City before a TPK ended the campaign prematurely. It's enjoyable, but a bit static, which gave it a claustrophobic feeling for our group. By the time the campaign ended, I was finding the whole "find clue, descend into lost ruins below the city" to be running a little thin. In fairness, however, we DID enjoy it, and I think the adventures that come after those we played deviate from the "dungeon trek under the city" formula.

We are now playing Red Hand of Doom (which runs from 6th level to 10th, though I've started the PCs at fifth) and it is really a lot of fun. It covers a lot of ground, has events driven by a timeline, makes interesting use of otherwise vanilla monsters (hobgoblins can do THAT?) and (for me at least) has something of an old school vibe to it, at least in terms of the monsters, the setting (sort of vanilla, bucolic vale under threat), and the heroic feel. Anyway, I'd recommend it heartily and would agree with the earlier poster that there is material enough in the book to expand the mini-campaign into a full on mega-campaign (either on the front end, for lower levels, or the back end, for higher levels). I'm planning on it, assuming we avoid another TPK.

Paul

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Of the biggies, RHoDoom is the only one I have personal experience using and I agree that it is a good product.

*edit* I should say of the recent, new 3.5 biggies, since of older adventures I have played in or run my share. :)

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Reynard said:
I am considering running Expedition to Demonweb for my group, but before I do any purchasing I wanted to check here and see what other mega-modules get the thumbs up from ENWorlders. We play about monthly for 6 to 8 hours and want something that will last a year. The mid-level sweet spot (5th to 12th ish) is preferable, and the less railroady, the better.

all of the megamodules/adventure paths have an element of railroading. it is the assumption that the party will continue down the path to the completion.

i really enjoy refereeing the Giant, Drow series. i start off with elements of underling monsters in things like B1 In Search of the Unknown or B2 Keep on the Borderlands or T1 Village of Hommlet

and then add more powerful bosses or themes as the PCs lvl. so by say lvls 4-5 they are ready for the A series. then roll into the G series.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
To blow my own horn a little, there's always Spectre of Sorrows (7th-14th level) and Price of Courage (14th-20th level), which are parts two and three of the Age of Mortals campaign trilogy for Dragonlance. You'll need the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, but that's about it, since pretty much everything's included in stat blocks and so forth.

Cheers,
Cam

Dav

First Post
PaulKemp said:
We are now playing Red Hand of Doom (which runs from 6th level to 10th, though I've started the PCs at fifth) and it is really a lot of fun.
Check that again--the adventure is from L5 to L10, so you started your players at the right place.

Check out War of the Burning Sky... the first couple adventures can be a bit railroad..but if your groups buys into the 'mission for the rebellion' hook at the start there are options within the broad scope to play with.

Future adventures have the promise of being very open to where they flow to. Its a full 12 modules..and at - 8 hours a month you probably only have time for 2/3rd of them. I have been running 4 hour sessions each month and will be finishing off the first module and starting the second this month...in our third session. Makes me wish I had more time!

Anyway, great story line that is not your average adventure.. mainly its not a dungeon, its a War! I am running it in Eberron's past history, but it can fit neatly in a number of other places.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases