TMP - Wiki

Nathan Sane

First Post
As this mostly pertains to the meeting place, but is OOC I figured I might as well designate in the title.

Anyway. I feel that a wiki based around the meeting place may not be out of place, after all there are about thirty years of history of one kind or another that is missing, and most of it is too fine of minutia to matter outside of the group needing it (for instance music), and its way too much to expect the overburdened magi to do on their own, why not have a wiki of one degree or another (there are several free wiki farms out there that would be willing to host it, so no one needs to know wikiphp and such to build it), so that we can fill the minor gaps that important and still maintain a kind of shared universe.

I think it wouldn't be unreasonabl to even limit it to specific areas (for instance new countries and such would need Brigind's approval at the least).

My rough list
Advantages - By using a wiki people can fill in the information as they would like to.
Disadvantages - by using a wiki we can expect a few fights over minutia by people who are too passioante to keep in mind its a game

I think wikia would find us too small, btw, but they would be the best choice.

Aesynil

First Post
Personally, I love the idea. Give a unifying idea among different people on what's happening, and how the world's changed. Decide on technology levels, what we're capable of, what we're not capable of...Something so people can talk like they're in the proper year, rather then as if they're still living in 2007

KEye News

First Post
A wiki is a flexible site (I don't know another technical term), where people can add information. Like wikipedia - an online encyclopedia, the entries of which are written by all sorts of people, and edited by still more.

Nathan Sane

First Post
Dargona -

Well the issue is most Wikis require that any documents on them be released underneath GPDL or a similar open lisencse base, and as much of ISRP uses protected works, and its questionable to the degree with which they can used, and I wouldn't want to start a flame about copyrights and such.

Also, much of the other settings aren't quite as shared uinverse as the meeting place where the characters are tied into (generally) one world, one history, one universe. The DnD multiverse and availability of portals make it where someone from just about anywhere/when can get anywhere/when. Yet in the metting place all characters are based in/around 2030's in the Earth we know only more advanced.

Although if we did/could expand it to all ISRP it would make it easier to place it on Wikia, as the audience would be larger than just an aspect of ISRP.

Chris -
A wiki is a way of marking text to make more mallable than just a website, with little to no knowledge on the precise working details, someone can maintain, edit, and delete an article. It aslo has a way to extensively interlink within itself making it ideal for mass collarbative efforts.
This more extensively explains what it is and offer compasions between wiki markup and html of a similar setup of an article.

Jeajea

First Post
I think it could be great to have an ISRP wiki - and I'd have to say I'm in favour of a site-wide one rather than just for TMP.

Draggy

First Post
Nathan Sane said:
Dargona -

Well the issue is most Wikis require that any documents on them be released underneath GPDL or a similar open lisencse base, and as much of ISRP uses protected works, and its questionable to the degree with which they can used, and I wouldn't want to start a flame about copyrights and such.

Also, much of the other settings aren't quite as shared uinverse as the meeting place where the characters are tied into (generally) one world, one history, one universe. The DnD multiverse and availability of portals make it where someone from just about anywhere/when can get anywhere/when. Yet in the metting place all characters are based in/around 2030's in the Earth we know only more advanced.

Although if we did/could expand it to all ISRP it would make it easier to place it on Wikia, as the audience would be larger than just an aspect of ISRP.

Someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong, but considering such sites as www.mimir.net and www.planeswalker.com (as I believe Sigil would be of more concern than the tavern or the Rotunda), I believe most if not all of the material for the ISRP settings fall under and open gaming license of sorts. Gabe or another Magi would have to confirm that for sure, but I don't think copyrights would be an issue. Plus, yes travelers from other dimensions and worlds can go to places like Sigil, BUT the setting itself is unchanged. The settings and information that pertains to them and applies setting-wide would be valuable to have so that when someone wants information about the Rotunda and where it's at, or Cagey's stall in the Great Bazaar, it's available for them.

A wiki is a great way to accomplish this, if possible :)

Nathan Sane

First Post
See its my lack of knowledge about that particular area and wether or not it would be allowed (after all, The Tavern is on Oerth which isn't open source) that makes unsure. I am certain that The meeting place could have a wiki, and its more easily usuable for the Meeting place, as there is 30odd years of history for it that isn't done, and thats a bit daunting for even a team of people, let alone deciding who won the grand pumpa award in 2023 that would be relevant to only someone wanting to play that winner, and wiki's aren't actually that good for static information (That is information that isn't mutable with time) as Wikis exsist in the present only, being freely editable.

Remove ads