This Weekend at the Boxoffice: 2007.Apr.16

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Disturbia, a remake of Hitchcock's Rear Window, topped the charts this weekend. Grindhouse dropped hard.

attachment.php

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I'm surprised Pathfinder only placed 6th. I never believed it would bring in huge money, but I figured by virtue of it being an action flick it would bring in a little bit more.

Karl Urban's not exactly a household name I guess.

Shalimar

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
I'm surprised Pathfinder only placed 6th. I never believed it would bring in huge money, but I figured by virtue of it being an action flick it would bring in a little bit more.

I wanted to see it but it was not being shown at any of the AMCs in my area.

Sir Brennen

Legend
GoodKingJayIII said:

Well, neither were any of the actors in 300. Perhaps the audience for Pathfinder had already had their appetite for stylized violence sated by that movie for a while.

Plus, "Vikings and Native Americans!" just doesn't have the same ring as "SPARTAAAAAAAAANS!!" :D

Sir Brennen said:
Well, neither were any of the actors in 300. Perhaps the audience for Pathfinder had already had their appetite for stylized violence sated by that movie for a while.

I chose not to go because a few reviewers whom I trust--people who tend to like the same sorts of movies I like, and one of whom is actually a good friend of mine--went to see it and warned me that not only is it not good, it's not even the fun kind of bad.

I'll wait for video, if then.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
With Grindhouse taking a beating for poor numbers I am wondering what Pathfinder was supposed to make. $4 Million opening seems pretty low.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Brown Jenkin said:
With Grindhouse taking a beating for poor numbers I am wondering what Pathfinder was supposed to make. $4 Million opening seems pretty low.
This is a DVD movie, I think they knew it would do what it did and just put it out to generate sales for when it hits the DVD market. Also think this was a get the names out & trainning movie, the director: Marcus Nispel has only a couple of movies to his name, then you have Karl Urban, who has been around but not really on his own.

JoeGKushner

First Post
In terms of Grindhouse, didn't they recently announce that they would be showing the invidiual movies in the ne ar future to try and make up some of the 'lost ground' due to excessive running length?

Remove ads