Eyes of the Lich Queen

Espen

First Post
I'm curious about this product. Does anyone own it? Is it any good? I'm thinking of running it with my players so a short review (preferrably with som spoilers) would be dandy. Thanks.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I picked it up on Saturday and I've been reading through it. At first run, it seems like a really great adventure and I plan to drop it right into my campaign. It's scary how close some thematic elements are to what I was already planning.

There is a big thing to note, though. The Excerpts section of the Wizards site has the entire freaking plotline laid out. Literally, word for word, the DM's synopsis of the entire adventure. That was a little weird to see, and I asked my players not to look at it; a lot of the fun in this module seems to stem from 'Oh my God, what's THAT?!' and this would spoil it totally.

JustKim

First Post
I'm starting an Eberron game next month and I was thinking about running this adventure. From the synopsis this adventure sounds absolutely perfect, but I'm still skeptical. The last Eberron game I ran followed the original adventure path, and those were pretty sour. After Whispers of the Vampire's Blade we decided we couldn't stomach it anymore.

Glyfair

Explorer
JustKim said:
The last Eberron game I ran followed the original adventure path, and those were pretty sour.
The original trilogy wasn't particularly strong, and even the plot was very spotty.

This is written by Nicolas Logue, who has written my favorite Eberron adventure to date; "Chimes at Midnight." Not only is it my favorite Eberron adventure, it's my favorite Dungeon adventure. The atmosphere is amazing with only a few minor flaws.

Based on it, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Nick is one of Dungeon's most gifted frequent contributors, and it's great to see WotC recognizing his talents. I haven't read this adventure yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Paizo is releasing a Nick Logue adventure in the form of "Crown of the Kobold King," our first 32-page GameMastery Module. It looks mighty tasty.

--Erik

Sidekick

First Post
I just bought it today.

I think the key thing is that the plot rather well written but you need to keep in mind that Nick Logue has tapped into the whole pulp themes for the combats.

The adveture has some pretty despicable people in it, very interesting and tough fights as well as a fair few nasty surprises for the PCs.

They've cast their net wide for the bad guys using PHBII class variants (which is a god send for DMs when the use the easier option), there's even a crusader opponent at one stage.

I'm looking forward to running it.

Perhaps the thing I really love about it is the sidebar on the first page of the adventure proper recommending to start the adventure with a flight that's in the middle of the first act and then do a flashback when the PCs are being hired & catch the plot up to the point of them winning the battle. ->Just like in the movies!!

From what I've seen giving it a once over it's a very good, pulpy adventure with some really cinematic set pieces and involves some of Eberron's power groups in very good and interesting ways.

Mad props to the Logue'ster!

Nlogue

First Post
Hey All!

Glad you are digging on "Eyes" so far folks. I had a blast playtesting it out here in Hawai'i with my group...though they got a wild ride of a directors cut. :]

It should not be missed that Tim Hitchcock and Stephen Schubert logged in a TON of work on the adventure too, and they made it great. In fact...

The entire Dreadhold section is all Tim, and the flashback was all Stephen!

In fact, Erik mentioned the new Gamemastery Modules at Paizo, and I am collaborating with Tim again on "Carnival of Tears" coming out later this year. I love working with the Hitchcock!!!

Erik, thanks for letting me write "Crown of the Kobold King" I can honestly say I have never had more fun with a module and I an confident it turned out better than anything I have done before...even "Chimes at Midnight."

Glyfair and any other "Chimes" fans, the long-awaited sequel comes out soon in Dungeon - issue #150 I think, just a few more months away. I can't wait to hear what you all think of it. Nothing matters more.

Good gaming all!

Nick

ENZav

First Post
I love the tactical maps... would be even greater if there was any way to download them or something. Or is it easy to reproduce them with a map making program like Dundjinni?

Glyfair

Explorer
Nlogue said:
Glyfair and any other "Chimes" fans, the long-awaited sequel comes out soon in Dungeon - issue #150 I think, just a few more months away. I can't wait to hear what you all think of it. Nothing matters more.
Just in time. It looks like I probably won't get any further episodes in this or similar series. I very much doubt I'm going to be bullied into buying into the WotC "digitial initiative" where any future such Eberron adventures would appear.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases