Why Worldbuilding is Bad

S

Sunseeker

Well, I think this aspect of @darkbard's claim - that people believe things they're not aware of believing - was evident as soon as reference was made to unknown knowns.
Sure. I disagree with that particular author that "unknown knowns" defines ideology. There's nothing inherent to ideology that makes it particularly subconscious and the assertion that ideology is an "unknown known" seems to ignore the many ideologies that people consciously subscribe to. That's not to say you can't have both subconscious and conscious ideology or that there's no such thing as subconscious ideology, but IMO, if you need to define a thing by using two words such as "subconscious ideology" you are speaking about a specific form of ideology and not public or known or overt ideology. You can't simplify your statements by leaving out "subconscious" because then you're talking about something else. This isn't so much of a critique of @darkbard but more of one of the author he is quoting.

Relating Weber and ideology to worldbuilding in RPGs: I think many fantasy RPG settings are presented in a strangely rationalist fashion. There are accurate maps, accurate conceptions of history and politics, rather unified cultural and linguistic practices, etc. Even Glorantha - which makes a serious attempt at presenting a non-disenchanted world - suffers from this, in the sense of being presented to us in a series of more-or-less logically organised textbooks that document, in rational fashion, the non-rationalistic lives and beliefs of the Gloranthans.

How would "worldbuiding" for a fantasy RPG look if it was attempting not just to assert, but to produce an experience of, a non-disenchanted world? It couldn't start with maps and catalogues. It couldn't start with an assumption that the roll of the dice models impersonal causal forces. How would we do it?
I think the reason this happens is that the GM is always working from a top-down approach, which generally suggests one of two strategies for creation: start with something specific (like this one civilization you have in mind) and work out from there, or start from something general and detail inwards (like starting with a blank world map). The problem lies in the fact that IRL, the world exists outside of the existence of the viewer. DMs, for good or ill, attempt to model this, but even the most advanced computers cannot simulate all the processes of the world, across the whole world at once. For that, DMs turn to dice, which is a poor adjudication method because the systems in play IRL are not based on random chance, even if they may have, eons ago, been seeded by random chance, those processes are now the result of understandable and somewhat predictable mathematics.

But a DM can't rightly simulate that, but I think there's a strong belief within worldbuilding that, particularly in circles where Random Tables are popular, that the DM needs to. And THAT I think harkens back to the OP's article, which (since I can't read it now) was hopefully arguing that DM's shouldn't been that need​ to simulate everything.

Riley37

First Post
Shidaku pointed out differences in knowledge-base between people 5K years ago, and participants in this conversation. Shidaku did NOT designate anyone as a fair target for "kill them and take their stuff..."

That said, hey Shidaku, if you were referring to one particular person who lived five thousand years ago, and the ethical merits of treating him as a savage - and that person is Sargon of Akkad - then let's discuss by direct message.

Meanwhile, I see in your previous post a connection between worldbuilding and simulationism, and I think you're on an interesting line of inquiry.

pemerton

Legend
Okay, so "heft" is more about giving players direction in life, and thus, in whatever world they happen to be in.
Yes, and I would add - it allows the game to actually get going. And setting, backstory etc can then arise "organically" in play.

(I put "organically" in inverted commas because it's a bit of a cheating word in this context - but hopefully my meaning is clear enough.)

I think the reason this happens is that the GM is always working from a top-down approach
Which I think is already rationalistic/intellectualised in a way that is anachronistic, and (I'll controversially add) aesthetically self-defeating for (at least some) fantasy RPGing.

DMs turn to dice, which is a poor adjudication method because the systems in play IRL are not based on random chance, even if they may have, eons ago, been seeded by random chance, those processes are now the result of understandable and somewhat predictable mathematics.

But a DM can't rightly simulate that, but I think there's a strong belief within worldbuilding that, particularly in circles where Random Tables are popular, that the DM needs to.
Can dice be used in a different way, though? Instead of as a poor simulation of impersonal forces, can dice be used to generate the setting as an enchanted one (in something like Weber's sense)?

To make my thoughts a little bit more concrete, one example I'm thinking of is Arthurian legend, where the knights wander through forests, and stumble upon castles inhabited by strange individuals, with there being no thought of the economy, social structure etc of these castles. Could we use the AD&D Appendix C wilderness encounter tables to help with this - they provide a chance of encountering a castle with a powerful (hence, presumably, interesing) lord, plus retainers, men-at-arms etc. Treated as a world simulation those tables give us a bizarrely densely-castled and high-levelled world; but maybe they could be used to generate content for a non-rationalised enchanted world.

Riley37

First Post
World building can be very helpful in fiction. Look at how world building improved My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

If you watch the series, you can learn a lot of things about the world like:

Hearth's Warming Eve, the holiday that celebrates the founding of Equestria. It comes with a whole story of how the various pony races came together!
Historical figures like Starshwirl the Bearded, and the rest of the Pillars; who where the ancient heroes of legend.
How ponies activity manage the weather, as in they work to change the seasons from fall to winter, etc.
The process of making Zap apple Jam, and how a strange fruit that requires very weird rituals to produce, put Ponyville on the map.
The Legend of the Mare in the Moon, about an, uh, mare got banished to the Moon.
Cutie Marks, the symbol that appears on ponies that help guide their destinies.

Stuff like this adds depth to the show, as well as give the writers things to use to develop it's characters.

In a game of GURPS: MLP, would the DM narrate these things, or would they appear in the PHB (Pony Horse Book) which all players have as shared reference material, or would they actually emerge in the course of events played out at the table, over pizza? Which of those come from the GM, and which of those do players establish, adding to their table's particular implementation of the canonical Equestrian setting, uniquely and unknown to all other tables playing GURPS: MLP? Do the players learn the legend of the Mare in the Moon because the GM had an NPC narrate it, or because one of the players composed that legend, and had their PC tell that story to the other PCs?

If, after a dozen sessions, y'all want a change of pace, and shift to the "Fallout: Equestria" setting, what is the balance between GM and players, establishing what happens in the Vault in the long years before somepony emerges into the drastically-changed surface world?

Riley37

First Post
A day or two ago, I quoted Darth's example of a dialogue between DM and player, in which a player has formed the rudiments of a PC, and something funny happens on the way to the dungeon (or doesn't).

I haven't yet seen a satisfying answer, explaining why that session went as it did, as an example of the general reason why worldbuilding is bad.

Here's another bid at getting specific concrete examples into the discourse, to add clarity to our discussion about angels on heads of pins. This time, I'm sinking even lower: a question, involving the nature of orcs and Gruumsh, *from an actual D&D table, with a DM out there, in April 2018, wondering how to handle it.*

That thread will give that individual DM helpful answers, or not. Does that example also help us isolate the causal factor, the reason why worldbuilding is bad?

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?631728-Cleric-of-Gruumsh-in-a-party-with-an-Elf

S

Sunseeker

That said, hey Shidaku, if you were referring to one particular person who lived five thousand years ago, and the ethical merits of treating him as a savage - and that person is Sargon of Akkad - then let's discuss by direct message.
I actually had noone in particular in mind. Though some classical philosophers came to mind when I referenced "smartest people". But nothing in particular.

Meanwhile, I see in your previous post a connection between worldbuilding and simulationism, and I think you're on an interesting line of inquiry.
If the concern of the original article is indeed primarily focused on "over detailing", I would argue that is only an issue from a simulationist perspective. A more narrativist approach doesn't really care why the flowers bloom, from whence the animals came or whether the weather is based off of predictable mathematical principles or not. A narrativist would be more interested on if the flowers blooming is relevant to the story, if the weather makes a certain setting more fitting (such as how it always seems to be gloomy and raining in Lovecraftian settings); all with little concern on if it happens to be raining today because there's a storm front that just moved in.

A simulationist on the other hand may use random dice at every turn, or perhaps use random chance to get the ball rolling. The former is the worst kind of simulationism because it doesn't actually simulate anything. The latter leads to the DM having to figure out weather patterns and how they'll affect the snowpack and if that will wash out that one bridge the players need to cross a month from now.

Yes, and I would add - it allows the game to actually get going. And setting, backstory etc can then arise "organically" in play.

(I put "organically" in inverted commas because it's a bit of a cheating word in this context - but hopefully my meaning is clear enough.)
Right. In more lay terms I would say it gives the start of the game a "kick in the pants" to get moving. I certainly know from experience that the more lackadaisical approach 3E takes can lead to characters sort of "wandering" in search, not of quests, but of purpose. Which is why I almost universally stick some purpose in their faces at the start of every game. We can railroad the first session or two to get everyone acclimated, and then open up the gates once we've developed a direction.

Which I think is already rationalistic/intellectualised in a way that is anachronistic, and (I'll controversially add) aesthetically self-defeating for (at least some) fantasy RPGing.
I'm very much of two minds about it. I like and appreciate rational fantasy worlds. I don't believe that fantasy implies a lack of rationality, but simply that it implies a different set of rules. If we were to divvy up the human population into various humanoid species like a fantasy world has, would that change the world? Would that change how humanoids form societies? Build buildings? Fall in love? I don't really think so. Fantasy worlds that "don't make sense" or are "irrational" bother me.

But I think one of the best devices to achieve a fantasy setting is a heavy "fog of war". Things are forgotten quickly. Nature changes and reclaims faster than usual, perhaps fantastically faster, but not in a manner that is without reason. Mountains are raised by great wizards and destroyed by mighty dragons not because of any sort of modern conceptions, but because of a natural ebb and flow of systems and structures, amped up with magic.

This is all a very long way of saying the players don't really need need to know the whole wide world is out there, how it works, what its processes are, and so forth, even if the DM does. Players are jaded and it is difficult to instill a sense of wonder in them, but that's a player issue, not a world-building issue. Getting players to see the world, not through their eyes, but through the eyes of their characters who are not jaded, who are still awed by the great mysteries of what may lay beyond that mountain, THAT, I think is key to getting that fantasy setting feeling.

Can dice be used in a different way, though? Instead of as a poor simulation of impersonal forces, can dice be used to generate the setting as an enchanted one (in something like Weber's sense)?

To make my thoughts a little bit more concrete, one example I'm thinking of is Arthurian legend, where the knights wander through forests, and stumble upon castles inhabited by strange individuals, with there being no thought of the economy, social structure etc of these castles. Could we use the AD&D Appendix C wilderness encounter tables to help with this - they provide a chance of encountering a castle with a powerful (hence, presumably, interesing) lord, plus retainers, men-at-arms etc. Treated as a world simulation those tables give us a bizarrely densely-castled and high-levelled world; but maybe they could be used to generate content for a non-rationalised enchanted world.
I don't know, there's a fine line between an enchanted world and an absurd one. I have generally felt that random tables and random creation leads to an absurd world. I don't particularly enjoy absurd worlds. In fact I find it fantastically infuriating when a world lacks comprehensible processes.

IMO: I'm starting to think fantasy is less about the setting and more about the perspectives of the people viewing it. Some players may find a randomly generated world fantastical and wondrous, others may find it haphazard and frustratingly nonsensical.

On the other hand, that Neolithic farmer wouldn’t have the first clue about any place more than maybe a few dozen miles away. The modern farmer has a pretty decent working knowledge of mist of the entire planet.

Oh, undoubtedly! And I am not in any sense trying to say that some guy 5000 years ago was as EDUCATED in some sense as people today. However, we need to think about PERSONS vs SOCIETY in some degree. Modern society can grow 1000 people worth of food on the work of one farmer, but that farmer is backed up by a MASSIVE infrastructure, about which he has probably got practically squat knowledge. That includes the entire energy sector which produces the massive amounts of electricity used in the Haber process to produce nitrogen fertilizer, mine phosphates, transport these things to his farm in a usable form. The oil industry which supplies the diesel fuel his tractor uses to spread the fertilizer, and the coal industry which mines the coal for the electricity, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, our modern people have a lot of knowledge. I'm not convinced we know MORE than our ancestors in a personal sense. Our knowledge is much wider ranging, we have a broader perspective, and our society as a whole is capable of many more things. I would call all these things 'advancements' in humanity. OTOH I see no evidence that individuals are smarter or wiser than they were 1000's of years ago. It is at least an open question.

pemerton

Legend
In a game of GURPS: MLP, would the DM narrate these things, or would they appear in the PHB (Pony Horse Book) which all players have as shared reference material, or would they actually emerge in the course of events played out at the table, over pizza? Which of those come from the GM, and which of those do players establish, adding to their table's particular implementation of the canonical Equestrian setting, uniquely and unknown to all other tables playing GURPS: MLP? Do the players learn the legend of the Mare in the Moon because the GM had an NPC narrate it, or because one of the players composed that legend, and had their PC tell that story to the other PCs?
To (perhaps) repurpose your post: the possibilities that are implicit in the questions you ask (maybe the players establish some backstory; maybe the backstory is something shared among game participants; maybe some of the "backstory" is actually the result of high-stakes action resolution) is a helpful reminder that, when comparing novels or films to RPGing, it can be (and maybe always is?) a mistake to equate authorship with GMing.

Does this also apply to Rodents of Unusual Size?

Is my general knowledge of unicorns - for example, they are herbivorous mammals (ungulates or similar), their horns have anti-venom properties, they are inclined to trust virgin women - possible only if specific unicorns exist in the real world?

Perhaps you found this epistemology and the Four Noble Truths in the same package. I have tested the Four Noble Truths against my lived experience, and they hold up fairly well. I do not know a falsification test for "no knowledge proceeds directly from general to specific".

I would just say that your 'knowledge of unicorns' in the real world, where they are mythical and non-existent, is NOT KNOWLEDGE! That is, it may be knowledge of folklore, and that must proceed from the existing of specific instances of folklore! Without any such you probably would have difficulty with the CONCEPT of folklore, let alone any specific example of it. ;)

Ironically, perhaps, though I have a healthy respect for elements of Buddhist Philosophy, I have little regard for the ideas embodied in the 'four noble truths'. I find no evidence for the existence of Nibbhana, nor of Samsara. Dukkha has a degree of truth, nothing is ever perfectly satisfying, and things are ultimately void of meaning and impermanent. This leaves the whole question of the purpose of the Eightfold Path rather in a lurch.

Anyway, without sense experience and cognitive experience we cannot form concepts and cannot know things. This is pretty much a centerpiece of post-Kantian philosophy (example, David Hume).

I disagree with this. In stating that a particular setting is your default... whether that is 4e's Nentir Vale, D&D's Greyhawk, Tolkien's Middle Earth or World of Warcraft... you are stating that the lore around the race of orcs in your game is the same as the world you are using. I would argue the existence of an entry of orc in the MM ,with accompanying lore, for any of these settings being used as the basis of a game is very much sufficient to make orcs part of that world, at least until the time that you change or modify what an orc is in the world.

Taking this example to another media form... When starting a new character in the WoW mmorpg it is possible that as a player you would not be exposed to an orc at the beginning of the game (depending on your initial selection of race and class)... does this in fact meant that orcs don't exist in WoW? Even though they are a racial choice and are part of the lore of the world, does the fact that you have not directly experienced them in the game mean they don't exist? Or are they a part of that setting by default? Has orc lore in said setting has already established their existence in the setting irregardless of whether you personally experience an orc in play?

I didn't say that your particular (you as in your character) experience or non-experience of orcs is determinant of their status as being 'built into the world' or not. If they are actually concretely held to exist in the fantasy world, then whatever fiction makes that concrete statement is sufficient for that to be the case. I only caveat that with the proviso that it must be known by a character, and thus part of either backstory or narrative involving a character to be really canonical (anything else COULD be changed by the GM).

If NO characters in the WoW game has any knowledge or backstory involving orcs, then indeed orcs are not part of that world, at least yet. It may be true, trivially, that WoW is understood to contain orcs, and thus there's no real contention about the statement that they exist in that world, and we can trivially assume that whatever orc-related material the GM has generated or incorporated is going to be treated as canonical. That's fine, but [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s statement which kicked this off was that no orc lore was EVER used in his campaign (which is IIRC now at level 30). All he ever stated was that "anything in the books is allowed and all material will be drawn from the books." I don't think THAT ALONE makes orcs canonical! No specific orc facts exist within the game world, and thus it is an entirely undecided question and thus no act of world building WRT orcs has happened.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases