Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Indeed, this does not bode well for WotC's future relationship with its fan base. If they're willing to kill Dragon and Dungeon just to squeeze another revenue stream out of their website, then nothing will be safe in 4th edition. Nothing.

How long before they conclude that all us grognards are dead weight and turn D&D into a collectible miniatures game?

this has also been my fear for a long time i think this may be the last edition to really be D&D and not be all about how much they can get from u it looks dark

Ghendar

First Post
JoshuaFrost said:
1) I would recommend picking up a month-to-month subscription for the final issues of Dungeon. Some exciting stuff is in the pipes for the last, few, issues. I'd also recommend giving Pathfinder or our GameMastery Modules a try for the same quality content you've grown to expect in our periodicals.

Joshua, I will continue to support Paizo and am looking forward to seeing what Pathfinder is all about. :D

Kaladhan

First Post
Crap!

It's clear Paizo knew this in advance and prepared accordingly. Still, it's a very sad news for me. I remember the first issue of Dungeon magazine I ever bought, with the Mud Sorcerer's Tomb. That was so niiiiice.

The Shaman

First Post
HellHound said:
. . . the real blow is that the magazines are being canceled completely.
I've not read either for years now, but even I feel the loss of Dragon - it is an important part of the history of gaming.

And now it really will be history.

Numion

First Post
Dayum .. Dungeon and Dragon mags were the only D&D products I've bought in a couple of years (in addition to Ptolus). And I've bought almost every Dungeon.

So very sad. Shouldn't knock before trying, but I don't have much expectations for the electronic content. Dungeon has always been an example of good art and good substance - very difficult for an online source to much.

I wish WotC had checked this with me before doing it ;)

Or at least do the online thingy and see how that goes before killing the mags.

Tamarantha

First Post
Sammael said:
Also, not that anyone cares, but I would just like to say that, no matter what sort of content WotC publishes on their incredibly crappy, slow, bug-infested excuse for a website, I will not subscribe to it - not for $10 a month, not for $5 a month, not for $1 a month, and not for free. I am not going to lie and say I'll boycott WotC, but this sort of move... angers me.

I'm with you on that Sammael. I use their site very little because it is so difficult.

I have that punched in the gut feeling too..... I'm not particularly amused with the idea of having to print up a PDF so that I can curl up in bed with my copy of Dragon (or whatever they are planning on calling it), and my printer isn't up to the task of printing the artwork anyways.

SIGH!

JoshuaFrost

First Post
Treebore said:
Is Pathfinder going to be hardcover? Still, even at 30% off for subscription, $14.00 per month is going to be hard to do. Thats a $168.00 per year, right? Ouch!

Pathfinder is a 96-page, perfect-bound, OGL-compatible, full-color softcover Adventure Path book printed on high-quality paper for use with the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game.

We're offering a free PDF of that month's volume to subscribers as well as giving folks multiple shipping options that don't include the periodicals rate. :)

senodam

First Post
I've been buying Dragon since January 1993- #189 to be specific, and it was that first issue that got me into this wonderful hobby to start with.
I'm sad to see it all come to an end after 14 years of amazing material, but I have high hopes for the future of Paizo's publications.

Astos

First Post
/cry

Silly Wizards; I would have purchased your online content without you killing off Dragon and Dungeon!

So many years of good stuff. Good luck, Paizo.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
The Shaman said:
I've not read either for years now, but even I feel the loss of Dragon - it is an important part of the history of gaming.

And now it really will be history.

Yeah. I still reference them when running Traveller games (Relief for Nobility and Robots in Traveller), Star Frontiers (The Zethra, Freeze! Star Law!), Top Secret (White Out!, the space rules, alternate departments), Gamma World 3e (Up and Running in the Land of Mutants) and so many other games...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases