Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Belen

Adventurer
JoshuaFrost said:
Great question. Our GameMastery Modules are launching in June and will release one 32-page, full-color, OGL-compatible adventure every month. If those take off, we'd consider doing more than one a month.

But that's a good, non-Pathfinder start.

Josh- will these have a subscription model as well? I think that I would subscribe to them if they did.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I just subscribed to Pathfinder. Factoring in subscriber discount and shipping charges, it's going to be over $200 every year ($215.88), and on a month-to-month plan no less (I prefer to pay for a subscription ahead of time), but I still feel it'll be worth it, purely based on the job the people at Paizo have done so far. I know I won't be disappointed.

OStephens said:
A Dragon is dead.

There's no better way to say it. :(

Cthulhudrew

First Post
BTW, anyone have a link offhand to one of the old threads here when WotC originally cancelled the magazines (pre-Paizo)? I recall a lot of the same thoughts echoed at the prospect of their cancellation and things turned out pretty well in the end.

(Not that I'm not saying this will- I personally dislike online magazines.)

orcmonk220

First Post
crazy_cat said:
Its *ouch* expensive if you pay for it all at once - but $14 is actually only 2 pints of Lager or a cinema ticket in real UK terms here - I'll be subscribing on the month to month option and seeing what its like.

If the content doesn't justify the price then they'll lose my custom.

That said I'd rather support Paizo in their new venture than WOTC in their online money extracting model.

Crazy, you speak the sane words of truth my end! I'm hoping to do exactly the same :)
Especially at the new exchange rate. It may affect exports, but as long as us gamers can reap the rewards, it's alright by me! :)

JoshuaFrost

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
So are you saying that Pathfinder coudl be successful without being in the chain stores or that both FLSG and chain stores (B&N/Borders/etc...) are necessary?

We believe both are necessary as do the majority of successful publishers in the hobby industry today. However, when the times comes to offer promotional items on our product line I can guarantee you'll only find those items in an FLGS (not online or in a chain book store).

MacMathan

Explorer
No more Dragon, that is an end of a very big era....

I can see Pathfinder making up for the loss of Dungeon for the most part but there is huge sucking void left for the type of articles Dragon provided.

Online only access is not a great move for a tabletop game.

sckeener

First Post
I've been reading Dragon since issue #72 and I have back to issue #13. For Dungeon I subscribed right at the beginning and have issue #1.

IMHO Paizo gave new life to Dragon and Dungeon and I can't help but feel WotC is jealous. I feel like WotC expected Dragon and Dungeon to perish after they spun them off to Paizo.

jgbrowning said:
I think this may mean that Paizo now has the ability to use any OGC since they're no longer limited by contractual obligations?
Even if that is the case, which I think it is, it was the official content that sparked my interest. Demonomicon of Iggwilv? from wotc?

mhensley said:
Thanks WOTC! You just made my decision to get away from playing D&D that much easier.
I can't say I am there, yet, but I can say it will be harder for WotC to keep my interest since I won't have a monthly reminder. Email reminders to visit their website will just be treated like spam.

Drkfathr1 said:
Now that extra bit of advertising D&D got by having a presence on the newstand (no matter how small that may be) will be gone entirely.
I was enjoying the new format of Dragon where they told me of interesting products on the horizon. Now, I guess sites like enworld are going to be very important for me. I am not sure how that will play out at the game store.
Zaukrie said:
Um, actually, e-zines have been a vast wasteland of failure on the Internet for many, many reasons.
There are so many obstacles, not the first of which is how do people that don't know about the service even find it to buy?
agreed. I think they are aiming for a younger market. I don't think people with 1st edition stuff is the target market.

James Jacobs said:
the core races in our new campaign world are the ones you're used to. If you pick up the PHB or just use the SRD...
so no wotc intellectual property critters then...

Shroomy

Adventurer
What I don't understand is that WoTC knew that this decision would not be very popular and they couldn't even be bothered to create a free sneak-peak at what they plan to do. I mean, something to mollify the anger.

jcfiala

Explorer
Ugh. I feel a little sick inside at hearing this news. Dragon magazine is something I've been reading - on and off - since I became a gamer.

I tell you, I'm not happy with Wizards central right now.

Remove ads