Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

JustKim

First Post
I'm having a hard time deciding where to transfer my credit. 7 issues of Pathfinder sound like a good deal, but the Pathfinder page is really not very informative.

Shroomy said:
What I don't understand is that WoTC knew that this decision would not be very popular and they couldn't even be bothered to create a free sneak-peak at what they plan to do. I mean, something to mollify the anger.
This is just to mollify the anger when they announce at GenCon that they are killing D&D completely. It's a phased in approach.

JoshuaFrost

First Post
sjmiller said:
Josh, I am going to repeat a question someone else asked, because I think it is important and will help a lot of people make up their minds about Pathfinder. What kind of content will Pathfinder have for those of us who don't use adventure paths? I know I have never used them, and don't see a need to do so in the future. I prefer to make my own adventures, thank you very much. Dragon and Dungeon magazines carried lots of things for those who do not follow the adventure paths, but I am not sure if Pathfinder will do the same.

Please be patient with me, folks. :) I will answer every question that I can.

Pathfinder will, of course, have the massive Adventure Path adventure as it's focal point in each volume but will also contain six or so new monsters every month, articles on campaign building that relate to the topic at hand (such as, How to Run a Stronghold), one or two ecological discussions about new monsters in each six-volume arc, etc. I know James Jacobs and the staff have a lot of exciting material planned--I'll let them reveal those items in due time.

GMSkarka

Explorer
MacMathan said:
for the most part but there is huge sucking void left for the type of articles Dragon provided.

The only thing preventing another publisher from jumping in and launching a magazine to fill that void is the fact that so many gamers will only buy "official" publications. There's no point in busting your butt to produce a worthy successor to DRAGON if nobody buys it because there's no WOTC stamp of approval on it.

If I thought for a second that there would be a sustainable market for it, I'd launch a 'replacement' magazine so fast your head would spin....and I'm sure I'm not the only publisher who feels that way.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's worth noting that Pathfinder will have six new monsters in apparently every single issue, as well as varying articles on game mastering, new crunch (spells, items, etc.), new locations, and more.

The problem is that even factoring in pages lost to ads in Dungeon and Dragon, Pathfinder can only do so much, and it seems to be heavily leaning towards filling in Dungeon's shoes. The content that we always came to expect from Dragon - great new crunch - is what's going to be most absent, and as someone who likedDragon more, that's a very painful loss.

Vanuslux

Explorer
Drkfathr1 said:
Well, what really bothers me is that WOTC is still hiring their web programmers and designers, so this "digital initiative" isn't really even started yet, just in the planning stages. And they may have all kinds of great ideas, and good intentions, but they don't have anything to show for it yet.

Isn't this kind of like putting the cart before the horse, when you don't even have wheels yet?

Yeah...this seems to be the kind of business decision making that fuels Dilbert strips.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Shemeska said:
When I get home tonight, I'm getting out a small bottle of scotch that's about five years older than D&D, and I'm treating myself to a shot. This sucks, and I feel like I just got punched in the gut.

Both magazines were in a bono-fide silver age under Paizo, looking better than I'd ever seen them. I'd managed to finally get something into print in Dragon too. And now WotC yanks the license. Looks like we won't ever get to see a 'loth article in Dragon. For shame.

And as a reactionary, very bitter and kneejerk response, I just cancelled a trio of preorders I had on Amazon for upcoming WotC books.

QFMFT.

I don't think Dungeon had ever been better. It's been the best value and most valuable playing aid for me. Dragon was a little more variable, but both have been subscriptions that I've had for years and never regretted. What a blow. What an unfortunate, unwise decision.

To the Paizo staff: well done. I don't know that I can say that enough. You've made Dungeon and Dragon high quality publications, and you brought them to a silver age (at least) that I was very happy to be a part of as a subscriber. Thank you.

I will certainly be changing my subscription to Pathfinder for evaluation, but I can say flat out I'd much rather see a Dungeon clone. I have absolutely no interest in WotC's online offererings, and quite frankly, and with a minimum of drama, even if I did I would no longer give them my money. I have a very solid opinion of this decision, and I will express that decision with my wallet.

Firebeetle

Explorer
This is some sort of heinous tragedy! Can the end of the world be far behind?

I let my subscription lapse when I started working 15 hours days to get us out of debt. I really feel responsible now. I had been saving to re-up in June.

This bites! Dragon and Dungeon were looking better than they ever had before. I guess if they do that good of a job and they still won't sell, then it is a lost cause. However, I will mourn their loss.

:( :( :( :(

BlackMoria

First Post
Ulric wrote ....

I just subscribed to Dungeon a month ago. Darn. I haven't even gotten the first one yet. I just choose the Pathfinder option. If I could get another Pathfinder with my credit (4 instead of 3), I'd probably choose to not even get the last few Dungeons. I was thinkin' I could get in on the next Adventure Path whenever it started. That won't happen now...so why do I want just the last few Dungeons? GIVE ME ANOTHER Pathfinder with my credit . I have faith that Paizo will give us some good stuff with Pathfinder.

Contact Paizo about this. Several other people have been discussing similar ideas on the customer service message boards in the last hour and customer service has been responding positively to such requests.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases