Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Presto2112

Explorer
This blows. Personally, I was never really interested in the quasi-linear nature of adventure paths. Now, that's all they're going to do! Not to mention that the price of Pathfinder is going WAY up, compared to both Dungeon and Dragon combined.

Thanks a lot, guys, you just freed up a lot of money for me, because I ain't following where you're going.

Gregor

First Post
Ghendar said:
Wait a minute.
What issue of Dungeon will contain the final Savage Tide installment?

I agree. The release indicates that they will be publishing dungeon and dragon up to the September issues, so the Savage Tide should only have its 11th installment in that issue. Im assuming the last issue (#150) will have both or a massive adventure that combines the two.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It seems very... Obi Wan, to me. Strike down the physical form, and it returns as an intangible ghost...

Retreater

Legend
Evil, evil WotC. I'm not buying into your "improved" online content anyway, so bite my butt.

I hope Dungeon will be able to wrap up Savage Tide by Issue 150.

Again, thanks to WotC for destroying one of the game's traditions.

Retreater

Treebore

First Post
Umbran said:
If that happens, you may never get the content back at all. That helps nobody.

If you want the magazine format, you'd probably be better off to hope that it fails gracefully, so that they have time to recognize the failure, and resources to switch the format back.

Paizo is still publishing their own line of adventures. So we'll still have that kind of material. I suspect, in the long run, this separation from WOTC will actually improve what Paizo does.

I just hope the "official only" gamers still support Paizo. Otherwise Paizo may not be much stronger of a company than Green Ronin.

We are definitely gaming in interesting times.

rhm001

First Post
The page indicates that subscriptions will be honored on the Paizo site as credit with some options as to how to use it, although they don't go into details about what the ooptions will amount to.

As to why they did this, it's all part of the ongoing trend in the publishing industry as a whole, moving from print to electronic. While it's been true on a larger scale for OGL and more mid-size corporations in the gaming industry, other publishers, especially business industry publishers like Thomson and Lexis have been moving over the last several years to minimize their print publications, divesting themselves of a number of products while simultaneously moving to improve and increase the diversity and availability of their online resources.

That said, I'm sorry to see the magazines go. There's a lot for Wizards to live up to, as far as usefulness goes, and one has to wonder how much their online publications will restrict the free content available on the website. Will there even be a free Wizard's website, beyond maybe a products list?

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
So... what'll happen to Dragon now?

Yeah, I just stumbled uopn the news a few minutes ago at Wizards D&D site. (You beat me on the scoop!)

I am saddened by the implication that Dragon will no longer be available in hard copy as a real magazine to hold in your hand. As far as I'm concerned nothing beats the real thing - I'd rather have printed hardcopy than just read stuff on a screen. Online info is soo transitory/temporary and there's nothing nice to collect if there's something you wish to hang on to. :(

I'm bummed about loosing such a great icon in gaming.

Last edited:

Ghendar

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I'm not one to generally wish ill upon others ( ;) ) but I really hope Wizards digital iniative falls flat on its face.

As do I.
I despise paper magazines being discontinued in favor of e-content. Makes me sick.

I'm already seriously considering Pathfinder and telling WotC they can **** off with their e-crap.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases