Divisions in Gamers (sorta Rant)

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
I have been tooling around out here and more than once I have noticed threads that go into immense detail on just how one game is better than another, and why anyone that play's a certain company's game is a lame-o.

I have also noticed that people seem to be rather inflammatory to others that do not share their common gaming interests.

All of that seems immensely retarded.

I cannot even conceive of why anyone would take the time to bash a player of white wolf because they only like DnD or vice versa.

I got a news flash for everyone, we are all dorks, we might as well be friends. It is bad enough with all of the negative press that gaming as a whole receives.

While I am on the subject, when did gaming become more than just a way to pass time? I have heard the phrase "true roleplaying" so often lately that it is about to make me chuck in my shorts. Gaming is just that. A game.

We are not out here saving baby seals from predatorial masters of the twin boat ore style here people. There is no selfless sacrafice for the greater good of art when we play. We are not exactly doing broadway here.

The large masses of soceity will probably never give gamers an ounce of respect, and quite frankly who cares? I learned a long time ago to do what I do, the way that I do it, because I enjoy it. I am a selfish plick, that is my only motivation.

I don't care about the "art" of it. Running a game isn't writing a novel, and yes, I do find that story comes second after the action. If my players only have fun with tons of magic items, then whooha, Hands of Vecna for everybody!

I do not mean to insult anyone on this board, that honestly is not my intent. It just appears that a few of us, and when I say us I mean gamers in general, need to take a reality check.

Also, it isn't like we are the ONLY ssub-culture that gets negative press. If you don't think that this is true ask that skater guys whose hair cut you were making fun of the other day, or those 20+ year olds who spend all of their time at the video store rounding up bizarre Anime tapes/discs.

I don't know if I am making much sense here, but is there anyone else out there who understands wehre I am coming from? Sometimes all of this cross gaming bull crap just gets under my skin.

Hell, half the time the people that complain about other systems the loudest typically have never really played the game they are whining about. All RPG's are basically the same anyway, all of it stems from the same urge that drove us to play cops and robbers when we were 5. They are FUN remember!

If you want realism (?) and the chance to die from a common cold, play Harn, if that is what gives you fun then Flame On, Johnny Boy. If you like the black T-Shirt rock-paper-scissors thing, then live action your a$$ off, more power to ya.

Me, I am content living the high flying life of corporate sell-out by day, and the hardcore highly opinionated gamedork by night.

I guess what I am ultimately saying is this:

Shut the heck up and have some fun, and if others are having fun doing something you don't enjoy, leave them alone! As long as it hurts no other, do as thou whilst.

Besides, the dominoes crowd are the REAL gaming losers out there.

LATER.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Katerek said:

Uh uh. The correct phrase is "learning challenged."

Seriously, good point. Still, I think we're pretty good when compared to places like rpg.net. I love it over there, but the phrases 'friendly' and 'open-minded' don't always apply when someone is dissin' your favorite game. :D

Rashak Mani

First Post
>>>>Originally posted by Katerek

------
Uh uh. The correct phrase is "learning challenged."<<<<<

AAHHH !! Its not ROLL players.... its Theatrically Challenged !!!

Last edited:

alsih2o

First Post
Katerek said:
Also, it isn't like we are the ONLY ssub-culture that gets negative press. If you don't think that this is true ask that skater guys whose hair cut you were making fun of the other day,

you are mostly right, but i gotta point out that my wifes better homes and gardens or some such had a huge pro skateboard issue, stating it was the newest "family sport" and drolling on and on about the positive values inherent in the activity...it wqould be good to see some of this for gaming too. :D

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
Thanks Henry for the welcome message.

Better Homes and Gardens on Skateboarding! Now THAT is funny.

When my family get together for a nice afternoon, we usually play Grand Theft Auto 3, I just love the way little Timmy handles those pesky Cops.

What would be equally entertaining is if Cosmo did an article on how to turn a gamer boy friend on.

I can see the headline now, "101 ways to get inside his Dicebag!"

Uller

Adventurer
Actually, around here I think most people are pretty much live and let live (comparitively speaking). When someone gets out of line, someone will inevitably say "Hey...it's just a game, dude. Take a breath," and we'll all go back to being friends.

Of course, the "role-players" tend to look down their noses at the power-gamers and the power-gamers tend to say "screw you, you twink lamo. I'm having fun with my Brb10/Rog5/Ass5 Fiendish Half-Dragon and +4 Keen Vorpal Sword with a 35 ego." But it's usually all in good fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases