Metal School

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Danny - and even in your attempt to be thorough...

Oh, I wasn't attempting to be thorough...I was just adding some more gnarls to the tree.

From your starting point, I could have traced bandmate connections to Eric Clapton, the Yardbirds, Zeppelin, David Bowie blah blah blah into Soul, New Wave, Funk, Punk and even crooners like Frank Sinatra.

And that's without dipping into the pool of guest spots, session work, one-shot supergroups, side projects and stuff that never saw the inside of a DJ's booth (like Rick James' & Neil Young's band, the Mynah Birds Motown recordings).

I mean...do you know how many albums Kip Winger played bass or sang on (with Kix and Alice Cooper, for example) besides his stint as front man for his own band Winger?

But I had to stop somewhere!

Simply put, rock music is incestuous.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
More album releases of the past couple of years (I glanced at my collection this time)

Shadow's Fall
King's X
Ty Tabor
Doug Pinnick's Poundhouse
Probot
Static X
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Evanescence
Smashing Pumpkins
Gojira
Jesu
Mars Volta
Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains
MSG
Uli Jon Roth
Deftones
Soulfly
Darkness
John 5
Linkin Park
Dream Theater
Black Sabbath (best of Dio + new)
Pantera (best of)
Ministry
Eagles of Death Metal
Auf Der Maur
Budgie
Jimmy's Chicken Shack
Queensryche
Rush
Tesla
Dokken
Wolfmother

Last edited:

Nyaricus

First Post
I'll throw out the Wikipedia link for albums release in:

So that you can check it out at your leisure.

Here are some of my fav releases of the respective years:

As I Lay Dying - Shadows Are Security [death metal/metalcore]
Bloodsimple - A Cruel World [nu metal/metalcore]
Burn the Priest - Burn the Priest re-release [death metal/grindcore]
Dark Tranquillity - Character [melodic death metal/Gothenburg]
Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists [traditional heavy metal/hard rock]
Gojira - The Link re-release [progressive death metal]
Opeth - Ghost Reveries [progressive death metal]
Rammstein - Rosenrot [nu metal/industrial metal]
Roadrunner United - The Allstar Sessions [various; this is a disk featuring past & presetn artists from the Roadrunner label]
Slipknot - 9.0 Live [nu metal w/industrial metal overtones]
Static-X - Start a War [nu metal/industrial metal]
System of a Down - Mesmerize [experimental/progressive hard rock {really, in a league all their own}]

Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side [melodic death metal]
As I Lay Dying - A Long March: The First Recordings re-release/compilation [death metal/metalcore]
Cradle of Filth - Thornography [symphonic "dark" metal; essentually a mix of extreme metal genres & hard to define]
Deicide - The Stench of Redemption [death metal w/ brutal death and speed metal influences]
Demon Hunter - The Triptych [nu metal/metalcore]
DevilDriver - The Fury of Our Maker's Hand [death/groove metal]
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius [progressive death metal]
Lamb of God - New American Gospel re-release [half-thrash w/ death metal/grindcore influences]
Lamb of God - Sacrament [half-thrash/metalcore]
Thine Eyes Bleed - In the Wake of Separation [death/thrash metal]

----2007 (well, thus far)
Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli [symphonic black metal]
Finntroll - Ur Jordens Djup [folk/death metal]
Job For a Cowboy - Genesis [death metal w/ grindcore infleunces]
Machine Head - The Blackening [groove metal]

cheers,
--N

Dannyalcatraz said:
Just read on Wikipedia that there is an as yet untitled AC/DC release slated for 2008.

Waiting to see...

That would be awesome. Ballbreaker wasn't awesome but still enjoyable. Lord..... that was like 7 years ago.... maybe 8. It predated 9/11 because I remember their song "I feel safe in NYC" struck me funny after 9/11 occured.

Thankyou for the links. It amazes me how many I don't recognize. As I said before, I am more of a hairband fan whom then likes a bit of everything else. I have been exposed to a handful of artists that I coming to like that are on the lists given here. They include-

Rammstein
Linkin Park
Dokken

These I was exposed to more from movie soundtracks.

Nyaricus

First Post
megamania said:
Thankyou for the links. It amazes me how many I don't recognize.
Haha, don't be too bewildered - most of those bands are, by and far, underground acts, or newer bands who have just emerged from the underground.

As I said before, I am more of a hairband fan whom then likes a bit of everything else. I have been exposed to a handful of artists that I coming to like that are on the lists given here. They include- [/QUOTE]
Well, I'll try to point you in the direction of some bands based on what you like here...

megamania said:
Rammstein
Linkin Park
These two bands are, generally, considered to be nu metal bands; that is, they either have a very commercial, radio-friendly sound, and/or they mix in rapped lyrics against hard rock or metal. Linkin Park does the latter. If you like Linkin Park, you might also like 38th Parallel, Pillar, Project Wyze and Limp Bizkit (if you can stand them ;)).

Rammstein also mixes in the electronica sub-genre called indutrial with their music. Their sound has also changed over their 5 full length releases considerably, with the first two having many more samples and such, whereas the newer albums focus more on the keyboard work then anything (and generally, the keys are used tastefully in their music, and aren't overbearing). I'd bet you've either heard 'Du Hast' or 'Feuer Frei!', both off of the album Mutter.

If you enjoy Rammstein's style, I suggest you pick up their albums, in order: Reise, Reise; Sehnsucht; Rosenrot; Mutter; Herzeleid - with the first two being largely interchangeable in the order you pick them up. While either Du Hast or Feuer Frei! are good songs, Rammstein has a lot more to offer in regards to their sound - they really put a lot into their music, and they are one of my all-time fav. bands, definitely.

Now, for artists who branch off from Rammstein's sound, here's a little list:

Mnemic (I *highly* suggest 'The Audio Injected Soul'. Closest match to an American verison of Rammstein, methinks.
Static-X (another great band, try out Shadow Zone, their best effort yet, IMO)
Slipknot (Iowa is a very agressive album, I'm not sure if it'd be up your alley. Try out their self-titled debut if you can).
Crossbreed (they only have one album, Synthetic Division. It's worth the price ;))
Spineshank (try out 'The Height of Callousness'. It's a great album.)

cheers,
--N

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases