Metal School

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And BTW, "Balls To The Wall", though a great song, would HARDLY be my first choice of songs that came out during that time frame, much less for all time. (See what I mean?)

I agree.

No dice. You may have a favorite mexican food, a favorite chinese food, a favorite american food, but you still have one favorite food regardless of the type.

Not me...I love a great variety of cuisines, and can't think of a single favorite dish in any of them...not even my native creole.

Even within "Mexican" cuisine, you have coastal variants emphasizing seafood, Tex-Mex emphasizing beef & chicken, Cali-Mex which includes asian influences, and dozens of other subtypes.

And no weaseling out Danny. Pick one song. Metal wears many forms. Someone wants to know what metal is. You can play them one and only one song, what is it?

Its not weaseling- trust me, IAAL, so I know about weaseling! :)

If I had to "pick a single quintessential metal song" or be shot, I'd say my prayers and make my peace.

Heck- if you look at the heaviest metal of today and compare it to Black Sabbath, you'd be hard pressed to call BS metal. And yet they most assuredly are.

Nyaricus

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Heck- if you look at the heaviest metal of today and compare it to Black Sabbath, you'd be hard pressed to call BS metal. And yet they most assuredly are.
I've always found this fact amusing, personally :)

Shin Ji

First Post
Just wanted to make a quick comment on one of your excellent articles, Thunderfoot. Are you really claiming that ...And Justice for All was the beginning of Alternacca? That was an excellent album by any reasonable metric. Was it as good as the first three, possibly not- but it did have "One" and that makes up for anything else.

Perhaps you meant the downslide began after Justice, with the Black Album? Now, then I think any metal fan would agree with you.

Shin Ji said:
Just wanted to make a quick comment on one of your excellent articles, Thunderfoot. Are you really claiming that ...And Justice for All was the beginning of Alternacca? That was an excellent album by any reasonable metric. Was it as good as the first three, possibly not- but it did have "One" and that makes up for anything else.

Perhaps you meant the downslide began after Justice, with the Black Album? Now, then I think any metal fan would agree with you.
Good points, so I will address them each in a historical turn...
Yes, I am claiming it was the beginning of Alternnica. The reasons are many:
1) Cliff Burton is dead. Though an often overlooked member in relation to the overall talent of the rest of the band, Cliff was, more or less, the musical morale compass of the group. He was an old school hippie that tried to keep the group grounded to its roots.
2) Jason Newstead becomes the new bassist. Jason, while a fantastic instrumentalist and prolific writer, was unfortunately a terrific bassist and prolific writer. While undeniably younger than the rest of the group his musical tour de force on the bass was inescapable, he also had a much younger musical influence base to draw from, He is the single pebble in the pond that caused the ripples of Alternative music over the next four or five albums.
3) Though One was indeed a heavy song and typical of the Metallica of old, the rest of the album (for the most part) showed that the direction of the group was taking a turn for the more popular Alternative Rock of Seattle rather than the underground metal movement of San Fransisco.
4) I stand by my statement. To be fair, often the beginning of something rarely looks like the end. I realize my analysis is often unpopular, especially with newer fans, but the "And Justice For All..." and Black Albums are considered some of the best metal music of all time, but to me, it just isn't Metallica. And I believe Load was appropriately named and St. Anger should have been titled Inappropriately Produced Annoying Drum Tracks Over Really Crappy Music, just so that truth in advertising could be adhered to. :)

However, Metallica fans have been promised a revival of the old with the upcoming album, so who knows? Maybe the Jason Newstead thing will be proved completely true. (Remember that Robert had nothing to do the creation of their last album, he just came in a played over what was already written.)

GlassJaw

Hero
Thunderfoot said:
Amazingly poor?
Please remember when discussing that all of this is opinion.

Sure, it's an opinion, but calling Green Day "amazingly poor" songwriters is an incorrect opinion. You might not like their songs or style of music but that doesn't make them poor songwriters.

GlassJaw said:
Sure, it's an opinion, but calling Green Day "amazingly poor" songwriters is an incorrect opinion. You might not like their songs or style of music but that doesn't make them poor songwriters.
Again, your opinion, I think their songwriting is formulaic and shoddy. So to make a blanket statement about any group is suspect at best. Green Day had a lot to do with the original Neo-Punk and Emo Punk wave of music, they are definitely an influential group and they are amazingly popular. My professional opinion is that their basic musical skills are lacking, but then I am not their producer, I am not their agent and I am not a fan, therefore I am not their target audience. If you like them, great, your opinion is noted and I will politely disagree, but no opinion is wrong...that is unless you like Brittney Spears and then I'll just make fun of you. :D

werk

First Post
I'll side with ...and justice being a fairly heavy album at the time (released in 1990). During the black album tour they would only perform a ...and justice medley :puke: because the songs were so heavy performing them would wear out the band. James is on record numerous times talking about how the ...and justice tour almost put them all in the hospital because those songs are hard and long.

Blackened, dire maker, shortest straw...these are more like the old thrash of metallica with their heavier sound.

Definitely a transition album though, which is really what you are trying to voice, I think.

werk said:
<SNIP>
Definitely a transition album though, which is really what you are trying to voice, I think.
I guess that will have to do. I guess I'm not clearly illustrating my point so instead of escalating, we'll use this as the benchmark. :cool:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases