Metal School

Testament

First Post
OK, wasn't sure about The Blackening's release date because the hype juggernaut started late last year. Through the Ashes of Empires is fantastic, worth picking up just for "Imperium", easily their best song since "Old". Machine Head really are a great band when they want to be, just save yourself the pain and avoid The Burning Red and Supercharger like the pestilence they are.

At The Gates were a good band IMO, but like you, I really don't understand the psychotic devotion they seem to inspire, its almost as alarming as Mayhem fanhood can be. With DT, as I said, I didn't feel that they keyboards added anything noteworthy to the music, but ever since being burned badly by the last few Dimmu Borgir releases (In Sorte Diaboli would be near the top of my list of biggest let-downs for the year) and CoF's Thornography, I've been fairly jaded on keyboards in my metal. Hey, you like it though, I'm not gonna hold that against you, music's a pretty subjective thing.

And BTW Nycarius, props on the Avatar. Nile are still one of the best in the biz for my money. Looking forward to the new year though, Amon Amarth play Melbourne on my birthday, and Im-freaking-mortal play in March. They might look like a bunch of badgers, but there's nobody like them.

Nyaricus

First Post
Testament said:
With DT, as I said, I didn't feel that they keyboards added anything noteworthy to the music, but ever since being burned badly by the last few Dimmu Borgir releases (In Sorte Diaboli would be near the top of my list of biggest let-downs for the year) and CoF's Thornography, I've been fairly jaded on keyboards in my metal. Hey, you like it though, I'm not gonna hold that against you, music's a pretty subjective thing.
Just a question, but why didn't you dig Thornography? I realise this was a huge divergeance in sound for the band all-in-all, but personally I *loved* the music. Not even sure how to categorize it though... something like Symphonic Melodic Blackened Gothic Metal, or some such.... In any case, I thought it was such a unique album, and so very fresh when compared to Nymphetamine. What didn't you like?

Testament said:
And BTW Nycarius, props on the Avatar. Nile are still one of the best in the biz for my money. Looking forward to the new year though, Amon Amarth play Melbourne on my birthday, and Im-freaking-mortal play in March. They might look like a bunch of badgers, but there's nobody like them.
Thanks for the compliment on the avatar :)

Ohhhhh man though, Amon Amarth was the best freaking band I've ever sen live, and I've already had a pretty diverse exposure to bands. Seriously, if you have floor tix, go in there dressed as a Viking - their vocalist will love it (some guy did this when I saw them, and it made me wonder how *I* didn't think of that - in any case, Joshua Hegg I think is the vocalists name, and he was totally throwing that guy the horns all night!). Also, you are damn lucky to see Immortal. All I got was Dimmu Borgir earlier this year :( (I did catch one of Hellhammer's drum sticks though!).

cheers,
--N

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not posting a top 5, in part because I really hate many of the new vocalists.

Where I'm coming from: Before picking up the Cello, Guitar and Bass, I was a vocalist. I have a 4 1/2 Octave range in my voice, and have always appreciated fine vocalists. They don't have to be pyrotechnic howlers like Rob Halford or Ian Gillen- Bon Scott and Axl Rose will do just fine.

While I think there are many excellent guitarists & other instrumentalists in modern metal, IMHO, most of the "grunters" fronting bands today to be unworthy of the privelege. Unlike earlier days, I find myself largely unable to distinguish between bands based upon inarticulate growls.

I know I'm not the only one- ask Dave Mustane.

But I do still find bands to buy- Atreyu, Evan's Blue, and Kylesa joined my lineup, as did Mastodon and Shadows Fall.

OTOH, my In Flames and Absence CDs gather much dust.

Dannyalcatraz said:
I'm not posting a top 5, in part because I really hate many of the new vocalists.

Where I'm coming from: Before picking up the Cello, Guitar and Bass, I was a vocalist. I have a 4 1/2 Octave range in my voice, and have always appreciated fine vocalists. They don't have to be pyrotechnic howlers like Rob Halford or Ian Gillen- Bon Scott and Axl Rose will do just fine.

While I think there are many excellent guitarists & other instrumentalists in modern metal, IMHO, most of the "grunters" fronting bands today to be unworthy of the privelege. Unlike earlier days, I find myself largely unable to distinguish between bands based upon inarticulate growls.

I know I'm not the only one- ask Dave Mustane.

But I do still find bands to buy- Atreyu, Evan's Blue, and Kylesa joined my lineup, as did Mastodon and Shadows Fall.

OTOH, my In Flames and Absence CDs gather much dust.
Were we seperated at birth?
You have got to make it to GenCon this year! You need to meet my family and I have to buy you a meal or at least a drink!
:D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ha! Thanks for the offer!

Y'know, in my 30 years in the hobby, I've only ever been to one convention*, and never even entertained the idea of going to GenCon. I don't even know when it is!

*It was a disaster: I was invited to run a game...and not only did nobody show up for mine, nobody showed up for any of them!

(Oh yeah- I also added Gojira to my list this year. Heck, I even started a thread about it...which I would link to if I could get to my subscription page. :\ )

Last edited:

Nyaricus

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
(Oh yeah- I also added Gojira to my list this year. Heck, I even started a thread about it...which I would link to if I could get to my subscription page. :\ )
Excellent, excellent band. :)

Nyaricus

First Post
Frukathka said:
I have been listening to a lot of Metallica lately. :uhoh:
You know, I neither get what all the fuss is about nor what all the hate is about with them. They seem like a simply average band, IMO.

cheers,
--N

Nyaricus

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
They reminded me a bit of Godflesh...

Which reminds me, I'm listening to Broadrick's new project, Jesu, as well.
Godflesh? Never heard of them... looking at their Wikipedia page, I see they're an industrial metal band, but Gojira is a progressive death/post-thrash band - so what's the similarity you hear, given that the styles they play are so very different? Win me over, and I'll give you a cookie! :D ;)

cheers,
--N

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases