Metal School

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This is where the dizzying array of genre names gets you in trouble.

Godflesh is "blahblahblah" but Gojira is "blahBLAHblah" is just words- it was all in the hearing.

Gojira's lead singer reminded me of the vox from Godflesh. Sonic landscape is similar. Energy is similar. Lyrical content is similar.

Godflesh was pretty unique when they first hit the airwaves, and I suspect that if they debuted today, they'd have a completely different genre tag.

Nyaricus

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
This is where the dizzying array of genre names gets you in trouble.

Godflesh is "blahblahblah" but Gojira is "blahBLAHblah" is just words- it was all in the hearing.

Gojira's lead singer reminded me of the vox from Godflesh. Sonic landscape is similar. Energy is similar. Lyrical content is similar.

Godflesh was pretty unique when they first hit the airwaves, and I suspect that if they debuted today, they'd have a completely different genre tag.
Heh, well ya see... I LOVE to categorize music. I know it drives a lot of people nuts, but it's one of my little passions; micro-categorizing metal bands :p

In any case, I think you deserve that cookie, as the vocalist from Gojira is phenomenal - he has such a soaring vocal performance, especially (IMO) on 'From Mars to Sirius'. That track 'From the Sky' is a fav on that album if only for those banshee wails of vocals! MAN! :D

cheers,
--N

Chaldfont

First Post
No-one can destroy the metal
The metal will strike you down with a vicious blow
We are the vanquished foes of the metal
We tried to win for why we do not know

Nyaricus

First Post
Chaldfont said:
No-one can destroy the metal
The metal will strike you down with a vicious blow
We are the vanquished foes of the metal
We tried to win for why we do not know
Why do I think Manowar wrote that? :lol:

Ninja Edit: Wait, isn't that Jack Black? Either way, you can tell where his lyrical inspiration came from.

Testament

First Post
Nyaricus said:
Why do I think Manowar wrote that? :lol:

Ninja Edit: Wait, isn't that Jack Black? Either way, you can tell where his lyrical inspiration came from.

Can't be Manowar. Nowhere near enough cheese or supressed homoeroticism in it. :p

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well these bands aren't that old, and I am not that old (18) but I personally believe they are wonderful metal bands that should be part of anyone's list:

-Therion: It is a Swedish symphonic metal band that uses alot of mythology in its songs.
-Symphony X: It is a American progressive metal band that uses good bit of mythology and fantasy in their works.
-Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire: For simply being fun, this is a great power metal band, with amazingly funny/cheesy music videos. They even had Christopher Lee narrate one of their albums.

Starman

Adventurer
Fallen Seraph said:
Well these bands aren't that old, and I am not that old (18) but I personally believe they are wonderful metal bands that should be part of anyone's list:

-Therion: It is a Swedish symphonic metal band that uses alot of mythology in its songs.
-Symphony X: It is a American progressive metal band that uses good bit of mythology and fantasy in their works.
-Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire: For simply being fun, this is a great power metal band, with amazingly funny/cheesy music videos. They even had Christopher Lee narrate one of their albums.

I'm a big fan of symphonic and power metal, too, even when it gets cheesy. In addition to these, I would recommend:

After Forever
Avantasia
Blind Guardian
Cellador
Children of Bodom
Dragonforce
Edenbridge
Edguy
Epica
Hammerfall
Heavenly
Iced Earth