Last edited:

Starman

Adventurer
MrFilthyIke said:
I approve this list, and would like to add:

Elis
Haggard
Within Tempation

Whoops, I forgot Within Temptation. They are awesome. I haven't heard of Elis and Haggard. I'll have to check them out. Any album recommendations?

Nyaricus

First Post
Well, you gotta love the German trio which started it all, really:

Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray and Helloween

Personally, like many others I think Blind Guardian has gone the furthest with the genre, becoming very progressive and extending the genre of power metal even further. They are the 'Death' of PM :)

Also, I recently found 3 Inches of Blood, and I'm in love. 'Advance and Vanquish' is an amazing old-school/new-school mash-up of speed/power metal and with a slight metalcore edge to the music. It's fist-pumping, energetic and tons of fun, and I can't rec them more :D

Other great bands would be Rhapsody ("of Fire") and Symphony X, the latter of which has the amazingly epic track 'The Odyssey' which is a 25 minute - re-telling of the greek epic of the same name.

Aaaaand that's all for tonight folks. Later :)

cheers,
--N

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A lot of good suggestions of late!

I'm considering adding some Symphony X to my collection, as well as Within Temptation, Iced Earth, and even...Dragonforce. Shredded Cheese Indeed!

I listened to Helloween back when they first came out...but I'm not too big a fan of the latest stuff.

I did just add High on Fire and Bullet for my Valentine to the rotation, though.

AND I recently scored a Prong concert DVD- Yay, me!

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So I was watching Metal Mania on VH-1 Classic last night, and they played an old Warlock video.

Doro Pesch is still a better vocalist (and was better looking- she still looks pretty good even at 43!) than Angela Gossow.

IMHO, of course.

Nyaricus

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
So I was watching Metal Mania on VH-1 Classic last night, and they played an old Warlock video.

Doro Pesch is still a better vocalist (and was better looking- she still looks pretty good even at 43!) than Angela Gossow.

IMHO, of course.
Huh, I've never heard of Warlock before - definitely a wicked name though! And according to the Metal Archives, it's not even taken right now *ponders*

cheers,
--N

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Huh, I've never heard of Warlock before - definitely a wicked name though! And according to the Metal Archives, it's not even taken right now *ponders*

Warlock was a German glam-metal band of the 1980s, fronted by the (then) HAWT Doro Pesch, who later left to go solo. Doro's vox were not quite as rough as Wendy O. Williams, but there was a pretty good bit of power there.

FWIW, they were a little heavier than most of the glam of the era, but not quite as heavy as their contemporaries, Helloween.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases