Metal School

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Starman said:
I just picked this up today and I have to say that I find it quite excellent. The lead singer has a fantastic voice. It is unfortunate that she passed away and so young.

Tales from Heaven or Hell
Die Stadt
Show me the Way
Innocent Hearts
The Burning

These are my favorite tracks off the album. I agree it was a loss, she had talent.

Nyaricus

First Post
So.

I went to the Exodus/Goatwhore/Arsis/Warbringer show tonight. My ticket was 25 dollars for four bands, 3 of which (all save for Warbringer) being fairly big names in the metal scene. Good deal, says me.

Well, for one it's -30 outside not counting the windchill, the ticket says doors @ 6:30 but they posted a note on the door saying doors @ 7pm. Now I'm getting a bit ticked, not to mention cold.

Then, top that off with another note posted on the doors saying Warbringer dropped off the tour. Now we're down to 3 bands, it's cold outside, and they still aren't letting people in the doors.

Then, we get inside, and there are only merch tables for Exodus and Goatwhore. I was planning to buy an Arsis hoodie, and no merch table for Arsis. Hrmph.

Turns out, they broke up not three days before this concert. Now I'm getting really pissed...

So, Goatwhore and Exodus played us an extra-long set, but I was pretty disappointed having to pay 25 bucks for 2 bands, buying a Goatwhore hoodie rather than a Arsis one (though I love both bands) and having a rather cold wait outside in the deepest part of Winnipegs' winter.

However, both bands put on a phenomenal show, and Goatwhore (who've been through town 3 times in the past 8 months) really had the crowd loving them; personally I thought it was a better reception than Exodus.

It was a good concert, but really only worth about 15 bucks. C'est la vie.

cheers,
--N

MrFilthyIke

First Post
At least you GET concerts.

Anything that ponders rolling through Orlando does so under the radar, or as part of an overpriced festival.

Only interesting one that came through recently was Amon Amarth, but ended up missing it due to extenuating circumstances.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Best $20 concert I ever attended:

Swervedriver/Monster Magnet/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden at a concert hall that was a converted hangar from the '50s (torn down since then). The place was solid concrete with a stage at one end and a metal half-pipe roof- there was no place for sonic energy to go except through you.

Odds & Ends:

1) The more I watch the current Headbanger's Ball, the more I like In Flames. It could just be that they're standing out more from the guys who always sound like they're yelling "GORGORRRR....GOR...GOR...GORRRRRRGORGOR!" at the mike.

2) Speaking of the guys who always sound like they're yelling "GORGORRRR....GOR...GOR...GORRRRRRGORGOR!" at the mike, I have to admit that the vocalist for Nile sounds a lot more articulate than 99% of the rest of the lot. I can actually understand the lyrics to "Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water," so I have to give him props for that.

OTOH, I can't stand any of the other songs.

Testament

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
2) Speaking of the guys who always sound like they're yelling "GORGORRRR....GOR...GOR...GORRRRRRGORGOR!" at the mike, I have to admit that the vocalist for Nile sounds a lot more articulate than 99% of the rest of the lot. I can actually understand the lyrics to "Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water," so I have to give him props for that.

OTOH, I can't stand any of the other songs.

Unlike a lot of Nile fans, I'm of the opinion that Dallas taking over the vox from Karl was a huge plus for precisely this reason. Karl is a godlike guitarist and writer, but he sounds like a hippo drowning in its own blood. Dallas is brutal, but has clear diction and doesn't sacrifice a single iota of speed*. Personally, I love his work as a result.

Starman

Adventurer
I went on a purchasing spree the other day and picked up a few albums.

This Godless Endeavor - Nevermore. This is the first CD of theirs I have listened and I was impressed. It will probably take a few listens to fully appreciate it as it is quite dense, but I really enjoyed the lead singer's voice and the guitar work was excellent.

Cult - Apocalyptica. An interesting turn for them as most of this is original work as opposed to the cover work they have normally stuck with, one song even had vocals. I really liked it, though. Cult has a good balance of slower, more melodic stuff with the harder, heavily distorted pieces. And even though this is mostly original work, mad props have to be given to them for their amazing cover of Hall of the Mountain King.

The Scarecrow - Avantasia. I was a little let down with this one. After The Metal Opera Parts I and II, I was expecting more of the same, soaring, epic music. The Scarecrow is different, though. Yes, it does have glimpses of that, but it is much darker in tone. It is very good, and I will probably like it more with repeat listens (I do like dark music), but it wasn't quite what I was expecting, so I was somewhat disappointed.

Mandrake - Edguy. Another awesome album from Edguy. I'm not sure if I like this one or Theater of Salvation better, but both are killer power metal albums.

Nyaricus

First Post
Testament said:
Unlike a lot of Nile fans, I'm of the opinion that Dallas taking over the vox from Karl was a huge plus for precisely this reason. Karl is a godlike guitarist and writer, but he sounds like a hippo drowning in its own blood. Dallas is brutal, but has clear diction and doesn't sacrifice a single iota of speed*. Personally, I love his work as a result.
I'm a much bigger fan of Nile pre-Ithypallic. I bought it the week it debuted, but I've yet to 'get it', and the vocals are really holding me back on it. Blegh.

OTOH, I finally, after owning the album for a year+, 'got' Behemoth's Demigod, which has insanely layered vocals on the album, to the point of stupidity, imo. However, I'm listening to the album and finding wonderful melody in the guitar work, and the vocals fit the music now.

Also, who here knows what I'm talking about when I'm talking about ALESTORM!? I just bought their CD the other day, and I'm in love. Fresh, folky symphonic power metal that has the lovely theme of PIRATES! I think they are on the verge of truely founding a new sub-genre of metal (pirate metal) much like Bathory founded viking metal. I can't wait to see if this will spawn a new movement :D

cheers,
--N

Testament

First Post
Nyaricus said:
I'm a much bigger fan of Nile pre-Ithypallic. I bought it the week it debuted, but I've yet to 'get it', and the vocals are really holding me back on it. Blegh.

OTOH, I finally, after owning the album for a year+, 'got' Behemoth's Demigod, which has insanely layered vocals on the album, to the point of stupidity, imo. However, I'm listening to the album and finding wonderful melody in the guitar work, and the vocals fit the music now.

cheers,
--N

I'm curious, what did you think of Annihilation of the Wicked then, given that Dallas did most of the vox on it too. Personally that's my fave album of theirs, the sheer mind-blowing speed and ferocity of that album leaves me breathless. A close second is In Their Darkened Shrines (Unas, Breath of Horus, In Their Darkened Shrines. Enough said). Ithyphallic grew on me, but still isn't up to the incredible standards set by those two.

My advice on Ithyphallic? First, you need a beastly sound system to really appreciate Neil Kernon's production work and Karl's microtonal playing. Listen to Eat of the Dead on a really good system and you'll understand. Second, the title track. That's the one that won me over, that thing just drips with menace.

Demigod is well worth the effort. Zos Kia Kultis and Apostasy are still better though in my books, ZKK was them hitting their brutal heights, and Apostasy saw them really branch out.

Anyways, I'm off to watch the first few eps of Metalocalypse S2 again. Damn being Down Under and not getting it on Adult Swim (not that I have cable, but...)

DETHKLOK DETHKLOK!

Nyaricus

First Post
Testament said:
I'm curious, what did you think of Annihilation of the Wicked then, given that Dallas did most of the vox on it too. Personally that's my fave album of theirs, the sheer mind-blowing speed and ferocity of that album leaves me breathless. A close second is In Their Darkened Shrines (Unas, Breath of Horus, In Their Darkened Shrines. Enough said). Ithyphallic grew on me, but still isn't up to the incredible standards set by those two.
Funnily enough, AotW is the one Nile album I do not have in my possession. Personally, I think that In Their Darkened Shrines is Nile's best bar none up to this point, and that Black Seeds of Vengeance is a worthy second. The epicness of those two albums is absolutely phenomenal and mind-blowing.

Testament said:
My advice on Ithyphallic? First, you need a beastly sound system to really appreciate Neil Kernon's production work and Karl's microtonal playing. Listen to Eat of the Dead on a really good system and you'll understand. Second, the title track. That's the one that won me over, that thing just drips with menace.
Lol, I'm a broke university student, but one day it's my plan to get a decent sound system :D Agreed that the title track (along with As He Creates, So He Destroys) being the best track(s) on the album, in my/our opinion.

Testament said:
Demigod is well worth the effort. Zos Kia Kultis and Apostasy are still better though in my books, ZKK was them hitting their brutal heights, and Apostasy saw them really branch out.
Really now? How did Apostasy see Behemoth branch out, exactly?

Testament said:
Anyways, I'm off to watch the first few eps of Metalocalypse S2 again. Damn being Down Under and not getting it on Adult Swim (not that I have cable, but...)

DETHKLOK DETHKLOK!
lol. My buddy bought Season 1, and I was pretty impressed by it. Some of it gets a bitdry after awhile, but it's a decent little 'toon. :D

cheers,
--N

HELLLOOOOOOOOOO METALHEADS!!!!

Just a quick update of what I hope to be a prophetic sign.
I have the next two ideas for Chapter 4 (Rush and the progressive metal movement) and Appendix 2 (Why is pop music is relevant when it sounds like crap?)

I hope to have both of these out around Easter - Currently my Shakespearean Literature and Music History Classes are kicking me in the brass monkeys. Let's just say that listening to Gregorian Chant from the 10th century and then having to identify title, author, type and relevant points of interest on any piece therein makes for a very grumpy metalhead. Not that the music isn't masterfully done (I mean they were still using monophony (that means single notes with no chordal structure) and some of it is really pretty good considering).

I may also get around to Chapter 5 (The early 80s - Glam goes Gold) and a third appendix (New Wave - Devo isn't metal but its waaay freakin' cool) But that depends on my course load.
BTW - I am graduating in May - Phi Theta Kappa and at least Cum Laude - So no, metal doesn't mean mindless. :D

Keep Rockin' till you drop and then thrash in your graves
Thunderfoot

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases