Metal School

Dannyalcatraz said:
My first memory of Santana was a late-night concert tv-show...King Biscuit or Don Kirshner perhaps?

The cameraman couldn't tell which of Carlos or Neil he should be focusing on- frequently, he was on the wrong guitarist during at least part of the solos.
Actually I think it was the Midnight Special with Wolfman Jack (of course they only did two songs, so. . .)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A quick little search showed a collection of his early TV appearances that didn't include KB or Kirshner...only Midnight Special.

Nice catch Thunderfoot- I don't often miss on classic rock trivia!

(In my defense, last I saw it many, many years ago...)

Dannyalcatraz said:
A quick little search showed a collection of his early TV appearances that didn't include KB or Kirshner...only Midnight Special.

Nice catch Thunderfoot- I don't often miss on classic rock trivia!

(In my defense, last I saw it many, many years ago...)
Sadly, I still remember watching that show as a wee tot. . .
The big ones I remember from Don Kirshner were Boston, Kansas and ELO.

Ferret

Explorer
I recently went to a Megadeth gig. I was expecting the mosh pit, I wasn't expecting to be crushed as I tried to get to the front, I was working my between people, and everyone else tried to move through people. Movement suddenly became democratic. :eek:

I'll know next time!

I can remember when the mosh pit was the entire floor of the auditorium - but ever since the bands have moved out of the arena and into the amphitheaters there just isn't enough room.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Earlier in this thread, I complemented the lead singer for Nile as being comprehensible- a rarity in that subgenre of metal. I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

I add the lead singer for Amon Amarth to the list of vocalists who exceed the comprehensibility of those in his particular subgenre of metal.

I still don't care for your stuff in general, but sir, I applaud you! You obviously care about ensuring your fans get the full impact of your band's lyrics.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have to say- along with the modern incarnation of The Headbanger's Ball, I've been watching a lot of VH-1 Classic's Metal Mania (and 120 Minutes into the future, FWIW).

Man!

It really makes me want to dust off the old stuff- Saxon, Alcatraz, Maiden, Priest, Sab...

MMMM-yummy!

Kurashu

First Post
Modern Headbanger's Ball is basically them playing the same song with a different band all night. Jamey Jasta doesn't help matters any either. Hatebreed was bad enough, but for MTV to give him a podium. Then Kingdom of Sorrow? Wow. Just wow. I didn't think someone could make such poor sludge, especially with a member of Crowbar on board.

Metal Mania, however, is awesome.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Following the examples of Carlos Santana and Tony Iommi, Michael Schenker has released an album of songs with each song being performed by different musicians- especially vocalists.

Some of the classic metalhead guest vocalists on it include Sebastian Bach, Joe Lynn Turner, and Paul Diano. There are notables at every post though- Carmine Appice and Tony Levin show up, for instance...and of course, all guitar work is done by MS himself.

Remove ads