Metal School

Janx

Hero
That's always been the way with Anthrax - Bush or Belladonna.
Usually it's by when you find out about them, I grew up with Joey as the front man, so you can guess which way my vote goes. But I get your attitude, what is interesting about the whole thing was Scott Ian's take. He has always been very vocal about his support of John and his vocal style, but he said in a recent interview that he was amazed at the sounds and how right it felt to have Joey back. He went on to say, "Even I get it wrong occasionally."

I grew up in the 80's with Joey as the front man as well. On my first summer back from college, my buddy Steve came over and pops in the newest Anthrax and it starts with "This is a journey into sound."

The Sound of White Noise was a perfect album. Potter's Field and Only were perfect songs. It was like Anthrax was reinvented itself.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: frontmen

I actually liked both Joey and John, for different reasons.

Re: the drum

I know the sound Charlie used didn't originate with Bill Ward, but the way Charlie (and the engineers) put the bass drums together in that song- not just tone but pace as well- echoes so strongly with that particular Sab song. For me, anyway.

<SNIP> It was like Anthrax was reinvented itself.
Oh, you are so right there. One of the reasons Scott liked John so much was that where Joey "Sang like a bird", John "Roared like a lion" (That Metal Show Season 5 - Throw down /Joey Belladonna vs John Bush/). The whole John Bush era was a completely different band, much like Deep Purple, Rainbow and Black Sabbath - there is one sound and then there is something completely different.

I have my favorites, for sure, but I wouldn't turn off either of them. :)

Well, I Said I would drop a report if anything new came up with the Sykes/Portnoy project.

Here is what is known for fact:
The group is a power trio
The music is over the top and very challenging technically for all involved
They are currently in the studio laying tracks and doing post production work

What is still unknown:
The Bassist - several names have been thrown around -
Dug Pinnik of King's X (but it has been confirmed he ISN'T the bass player) This rumor started when the three were tinkering around backstage at a taping of TMS (see below)
Tony Franklin - IF this is the case you have 2/3 or Blue Murder. In a recent TMS interview Carmine Appice, the drummer for BM said that he and Sykes had worked on some material for a new BM album and tour, so this has a lot of legs.
Billy Sheehan - The grand master of bass (David Lee Roth, Mr Big and others) - One reason this one is up and running is that the three of them seems to all be popping up in the same area around the same time. While there are no confirmed sightings of all of them together (except at a TMS taping where Mike and John make their announcement and Billy was the guest guitarist for the previous two episodes /they film four at a time/)

What makes the Billy Sheehan story so strong is that TMS is taped in L.A. and the album in question is being recorded in N.Y.C. While all three at a taping of TMS could easily be seen as a coincidence, they were later spotted in N.Y.C. at roughly the same time, though in different locations, and then again in Orlando?? (New Orleans maybe, somewhere down south) again at the same time but in different locations.

Whoever it is, one thing is for sure; it will be uber heavy progressive. Maybe not straight prog metal, but heavy prog rock at least.

ggroy

First Post
Oh, you are so right there. One of the reasons Scott liked John so much was that where Joey "Sang like a bird", John "Roared like a lion" (That Metal Show Season 5 - Throw down /Joey Belladonna vs John Bush/). The whole John Bush era was a completely different band, much like Deep Purple, Rainbow and Black Sabbath - there is one sound and then there is something completely different.

I thought the John Bush era of Anthrax sounded like a heavier version of Armored Saint with better songwriting.

I only really liked the first Armored Saint record "March of the Saint", and thought "Delirious Nomad" and "Raising Fear" were kinda weak in the songwriting department. I didn't really follow them much afterward.

EDIT: Back when it was first released, I use to listen to side 1 of the "March of the Saint" record over and over again. :)

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you also like metal's predecessor, hard rock- aka classic rock these days- you should check out Rival Sons.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfy0smIW4vk&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Rival Sons - Pressure And Time - YouTube[/ame]

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And, in a true blast from the past, it seems Fastway has released an album this year...alas, without Dave King, who seems to be content with Flogging Molly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases